Lads, I've come to the conclusion that I need to train my body as well as my mind. I've become inspired by the Greeks...

Lads, I've come to the conclusion that I need to train my body as well as my mind. I've become inspired by the Greeks, and seeing as how the Olympics is approaching, I think now is the perfect time to take up physical training in a sport.

I've narrowed it down to either discus throw, javelin throw, or shot put. I want to ask Veeky Forums which they think is the most patrician sport of the three.

I'm also willing to take suggestions on other sports, but it must be a physically demanding solo sport that isn't running or walking or fighting and can be reasonably played anywhere there is a field of grass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HhUays2ehyI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just lift

>goes to Veeky Forums
>makes a thread to discus shot put

kek

Read the sticky on Veeky Forums, do SS and if you're very small also do gallon of milk a day.

Then progress to olympic lifts like cleans and snatches.

Then you have a good strength and power base for whatever specific sport you end up focusing on. Or if you decide to become a decathlete. Or something else who cares you'll look good brah.

The above will take a year or two, and it's a good idea to take up some cardio, I like rowing personally.

Don't skip leg day.

Read Rippletoes books and the Veeky Forums sticky. If you approach it with discipline you will be the most Veeky Forums male you know in 3 years unless you get "into" fitness.

>progress to olympic lifts like cleans and snatches

/owg/ pls go

This is fucking stupid... If you are on a track team you'll probably be asked to do all 3 as they involve similar training routines. Hint, lots of leg press, squats, cleans are involved. However I wouldn't expect to start looking like a greek god, most throwers look more builtfat (or just plain fat) than anything else. Source: I threw shot and disc in high school, was never any good at javelin though. Javelin has the most subtle and complex technique so I suppose it is probably the most patrician.

Do mma and don't look back

Like people have said, if you're joining a track team you probably won't specialize in just one throwing event.

Why can't it be running? Are you fat? I would suggest Judo or BJJ or some other good combat sport but if you're fat you'll be at a disadvantage there too.

If you're going to college soon, walk on to rugby or rowing.

shot is pure fucking monotony. the discus motion is fun. javelin is fine too, but only threw the thing like five times. there's also the hammer throw.

you should wrestle as the greeks wrestled
naked man wrestling naked man
and often what started as competeition
became cooperation
and pleasure
and the love that only two men can share

>Patrician
>Doesn't mention fencing, polo, or squash.

Also, you should be playing chess.

Former high jumper here.

You really sound deluded just 'deciding' to take up a sport. You should first take stock of yourself and see where your natural, genetic strengths lie.

What were you good at in high school HPE? I was a good jumper, hence I kept training that and got fairly good, even representing my nation at an amateur level before injury got the better of me.

So yeah, lifting is a much for any sport, pure strength is importance, go to and have a look at starting strength. Then maybe play some sports, train cardio and follow what your body is naturally good at.

I started out playing soccer, then high jump, now I have settled on Ultimate Disc since it fits all my natural advantages.

I fucking love this sport.

youtube.com/watch?v=HhUays2ehyI

Postmaster General

enjoy your CTE, retard

i bet you own "never back down" on dvd

only poor people do combat sports

>only poor people do combat sports
I sure hope you aren't counting judo under that heading.

On the whole though I agree. My ex-gf was horrified at the white-trash-tier tshirts I used to get from grappling and BJJ events.

I'm all for training body and mind. I train hard almost every day. But your post confuses me. Your choices are hardly "Sports." Just techniques. If you want to train your body you have to run, climb, swim, lift, and build up strength and stamina in the layers of muscles waiting to be developed. Fighting would obviously be the largest confidence builder. Change javelin throwing to spear hunting and you've got yourself a physical challenge. If you just want to stand in place and get good at a technique, pick up golf. But personally in any sport I don't like the tendency to over-focus on winning and build up animosity towards teammates for not doing it your way. I choose martial arts because when you're beat, you're beat. It's nobody's fault but yours. And you make yourself better by pushing your limits at your pace.

Lol I wonder if people like you will ever see how sad it is that you actually speak to another human being that way. It's almost like I wish I could show you a video of yourself typing this and maybe youll see how pathetic it is.

If you want to train your body, as in, your whole body, then all three of those are shit.

Get a subscription to mens health, or do the free workouts they have on the website. Or go to a used bookstore and pic up The Abs Diet for like five bucks. Get a couple of dumbbells, or maybe a few pairs at weights you can handle, and then just lift - hit every muscle group. Kick your own ass relentlessly and condense your workout times down to the smallest possible time with the highest sustainable intensity that you can manage. Work out everyday. One day is upper body/back. One day is legs. One day is core/abs. One day is cardio and flexibility. Next one is total body. Back to cardio and flexibility. Last one is core/abs. Or something like that.

Also, don't exclude adding in weird training for particular attributes. For example, grip training or flipping. The point is, just as getting the most out of your mind involves continually challenging it to do new things, so with the body. Kick your own ass.

Both have good crossover to throwing shit, and olympic weights are more aesthetic. I like bodyweight shit like gymnastics too, but barbell work is frankly incredible whether it's strength based powerlifting type shit or power based olympic type shit. SS is pretty well built for that transition now too.

>Get a subscription to mens health, or do the free workouts they have on the website.
You are an idiot sir. I get a men's health sometimes with my whey and it's the worst shit tbqph

This has got to be a troll.

A strong thrower will just lift heavy and practice throwing. It's like the one situation where you can git gud by doing SS.

>Javelin has the most subtle and complex technique so I suppose it is probably the most patrician.
Shoulder physiology can pretty much prevent you from javelin. Maybe.

I mean if you believe that not everyone is able to behind the neck press ever, then you should probably also believe that not everyone is built to throw javelins.

Find a outdoors job. Get paid to workout.

I thought BJJ was expensive.

It varies. Also a lot of places are McDojos

Poor people do expensive stuff all the time.

If they were smart, they wouldn't be poor.

lol

I've used it since I was 19, and I've been functionally fit, and healthy for 9 years.

Great, then I'm sure you can deadlift double your body weight with ease and run a 5:30 mile.

Actually I run an average mile of 5min. 6 min average for 3 miles. I don't deadlift. It bores me. I like to use dumbbells, resistance bands, and body weight workouts. I ride a road bike a lot, go running on trails, and I've been in martial arts and gymnastics since I was 12. I'm fit as a motherfucker all around. But I give a lot of credit to mens health, because they shared so many great workouts and nutritional advice on their website for free for many years. There isn't as much free stuff on there now, but they still have some great content.

Callisthenics.

I like calisthenics. I like to pretend I'm Charles Bronson in solitary going slowly mad.

>Actually I run an average mile of 5min. 6 min average for 3 miles.
It's not great m8

seconded. this is the superior way to hone your body.

Hahahahaha Men's Health magazine.

Gymnastics is most patrician training.

>thinks he can just start training for the olympics
>doesn't realize he needs genetics
>doesn't realize he has to have trained since he was a child
Another person doesn't know their lot in life.

t. yukio mishima