Suppose someone with little to no experience in wine was interested in learning about wine culture...

Suppose someone with little to no experience in wine was interested in learning about wine culture. What resources would you cu/ck/s recommend?

dont judge the taste unless your in a taste contest. then you have to worry about that. to be a novice you basically judge the whine by its packaging. if its pretty then you say its pretty taste.

The back of the bottle. For real. Every week go past your booze shop, pick up a random bottle in your price range. Sip the wine after letting it breathe, and see if you can identify any flavours beyond "wine flavour". Read the back of the bottle, they almost always claim to have various sorts of flavours like berry or chocolate or passionfruit or whatever. Eventually, with some practise, you'll be able to see what they mean.

Start comparing different varieties. Buy a bottle of cabernet sauvignon and a bottle of merlot, for example. Taste them and see what similarities and differences they have beyond "both are red", use google to confirm what the similarities and differences supposedly are. Figure out which bits are the bits you like about it, and google what sorts of wines fit into your tastes.

Drink a bunch over a long period of time and the rest will happen.

A wine store, a glass, a corkscrew, and your mouth. Also deep pockets, because budget wines sold at supermarkets are made of shit-tier grapes that use advanced oenological technology to turn them into faceless, identical tasting miracles of modern food science. The kraft singles of wine. If you want to taste something different, you'll have to pay more than $9 a bottle and you'll have to venture outside of the critter wine section

Cue 10,000 angry poorfags raging that $20,000 wine isn't $20,000 times as good as $1000 wine. We're not talking about either so shut your fat face
Only shit-tier wine writes their own reviews to print on the label

Paying more than $15 for a bottle of wine is a waste of money, and I drive a Porsche.

that's fair, if you don't have even a basic working set of taste buds I can see why you'd prefer to spend your money on a fancy car

Even if this were true, you don't learn how to figure out good wine from bad without drinking some of the shit-tier to begin with. It's tasting practice, not the fucking wine olympics.

>Also deep pockets, because budget wines sold at supermarkets are made of shit-tier grapes that use advanced oenological technology to turn them into faceless, identical tasting miracles of modern food science.

Oh bullshit, you just live in a flyover wasteland of cultural snobbery.

>Even if this were true, you don't learn how to figure out good wine from bad without drinking some of the shit-tier to begin with.
How are you going to tell what the good wine is if all you're drinking is little penguin? Conjecture?
> It's tasting practice, not the fucking wine olympics.
I don't know what the wine olympics is
>Oh bullshit, you just live in a flyover wasteland of cultural snobbery.
I live in NYC, so most of that is true

Oh you're American. I had to google Little Penguin, turns out it's another export wine Australians duped you with. Americans are such an easy sell.

>How are you going to tell what the good wine is

Because it tastes good? Try not to let your furious masturbation over disposable status symbols blind you to the entire point of drinking and eating nice things.

possibly the most cuntish and ill-informed comment on this whole board

>Because it tastes good?
Sure, but now we're sliding into different definitions of why to spend more on wine

If your main goal is "something with alcohol that isn't unpleasant to drink", you don't need to spend more than $15. I'd say actually you don't even need to spend more than $10. That extra $5 is pure snobbery. A lot of places you can get something for maybe $6 or $7 that will be fine to drink, if you're resourceful.

The thing is the op asked about "learning" which kind of implies that it's not about enjoying or getting drunk in the least unpleasant way possible, but about actually being able to have an informed opinion about this or that grape, from this or that region, made in this or that style

Some kinds of wine you can learn all you need and keep it under $10 a bottle, but you're certainly not getting a bottle of vintage port for $10, or aged wines from prestigious growing regions. Now it's your cue to tell me that it's a scam and you shouldn't drink that stuff. That's your opinion, but op asked about learning, not about whether it's necessary for enjoyment.

Stay mad, poorfag.

offically not, probably because im not spunking cash on depreciating assets like cars

>offically
Would you like to buy a vowel? Oh, that's right, you can't afford it, or you're a dumb kike who would rather hoard money than spend it and enjoy life.

>Some kinds of wine you can learn all you need and keep it under $10 a bottle, but you're certainly not getting a bottle of vintage port for $10, or aged wines from prestigious growing regions.

We're talking about an OP with little to no experience. It doesn't matter the hobby, whether wine or painting or programming or whatever, you start at the shit tier learning the basics and work your way up as you learn - otherwise you can't appreciate how far you've come.

>Now it's your cue to tell me that it's a scam and you shouldn't drink that stuff.

Oh no, I've had some very old, rare and stupidly expensive drinks, experiences I've definitely enjoyed. But only because I had built up my experience over a long period of time.

Now who's being a snob
>you have to drink little penguin for 30 years before you're allowed to even so much as have a low-tier CdP otherwise you can't appreciate it
Yes I get it, when you're in college you drink crap, when you're 50 you drink expensive shit all the time, so everyone has to suffer through crap for years

That's wrong and dumb, stop pushing this nonsense. If want to learn about a wine that costs no less than $25, and you can afford it, you buy the wine and you drink it. Stop acting like you need a PhD to be allowed to try something that isn't bottom of the barrel

$15 isn't bottom of the barrel.

Nowhere in my post did I say $15

You were the one who said shit tier.

Are you saying my argument is wrong because of words you used?

lolwut. I'm saying don't drop a fortune until you develop your palate a bit. Nothing snobbish about telling someone not to throw away their money because some people think it's impossible to 'get' wine without a house deposit.

>I'm saying don't drop a fortune
Don't worry I already negated your argument up here: >Cue 10,000 angry poorfags raging that $20,000 wine isn't $20,000 times as good as $1000 wine. We're not talking about either so shut your fat face
Next invalid argument please

I never said "shit-tier"
>he can't see poster IDs
newfags need to go

Super special oldfag protip: the post being quoted contains the text "you start at the shit tier"

It is conventional not to reply to a person replying to a different person as if you are refuting what they are saying, without giving some kind of cue as to what you are actually talking about.

Try learning to comprehend anything beyond your own inflated ego and you might begin to understand why that doesn't negate shit.

Treat it like a hobby, like wine tasting, or painting...

That's what the poster IDs are for in each thread, so you can keep track of that kind of thing. Not my fault you can't see them.

>like a hobby
Most hobbyists decide what they're willing to spend, and spend accordingly. Then other people yell at them for not being allowed to have nice things. See: your average thread on Veeky Forums
>boo hoo abloo why does the fat chink have nice things, she should eat MacDonalds at her computer like me
Anyway I have to go to work now so I can afford my $20,000 bottles of wine that definitely taste 20x better than $1000 bottles of wine, have fun raging about the newfangled avocadoes

/b is leaking again.

Pls go.

Stay mad brother...

>fat chink
People make fun of her because she's an attention whore. People defend her because they're poor and can only ever experience eating a nice meal vicariously, or they're white knight retards.

What's /b?

Hit me up one day when you realise life is more than the status symbols you consume.

>chink

Oh wait, nevermind. It all makes sense now. You're a 拜金女.

Wine tour helped me. The guides are pretty informative.