So Veeky Forums I have 30K in savings which I plan to use to make my own business, in this case a restaurant

So Veeky Forums I have 30K in savings which I plan to use to make my own business, in this case a restaurant.

I am someone who hates debt so I absolutely don't owe a single cent to anyone.

Can I make something out of these 30K? What should I do?

I just want advice on what to do or how to start. I don't want a fancy place from the get go, I want to gradually move from a small place to something large.

I have a passion for food but I have 0 experience in business.

Any hints or help would be appreciated.

Shameless bump, I really want some info.

Restaurants are awful things to own if you have 0 experience.

They cost a fortune because of the amount of staff you need and the taxes you have to pay not to mention rent and equipment costs.

I'd at least reccomend working at a restaurant first.

To open and run one you have to really really really love what your doing. Probably for the first year or 2 at least you'll have no social life and barely any money.

start with a food truck

you need experience micromanaging first

This person is correct. Unless you've managed a restaurant for years and fully understand restaurant financials, you will fail.

Also, 30k isn't enough to start a restaurant, especially a non-brand-name.

Trust me. I've seen a dozen startup pizza places taking over the same building in the last few years.

This!

Personally I would look into a sandwich shop or coffee corner. Less investment and less hassle if you don't right

You’re gonna fail loser

Restaurants are literally the day labor of businesses

>Probably for the first year or 2 at least you'll have no social life and barely any money.

I already don't have a social life so that's not a problem.

I don't have any huge expenses and I pretty much have everything I will ever need.

I don't plan to open a huge restaurant from the get go like I said. Start small, a few staff memebrs, 2 or 3 at the most. Only offering a small selection of good food.

Like I said I have a passion for cooking and I could do it all day.

30k is not enough, you will most likely need a loan

I would recommend having enough to cover operations for 5 years with no profits

OK, let's put some numbers to this so you don't make the mistake of a lifetime.

You open a small restaurant, you buy the equipment used, so you get off reasonably cheap. You're all ready, and you open your door.

Starting from day 1, tic toc....

$1500 per month in rent
$1700 per month in electricity
$X in food, which spoils after Y days, so you can't hold it forever.

Add to this... no customer base, you have to build from scratch.

There's a reason why most restaurants fail.

Again... unless you've successfully managed a restaurant, don't do it.

Even simple stuff... like knowing how to price your product, how to calculate food variance, how to properly place orders.

It's a skill that has to be learned.

Will it help if I said I mostly want a taco stand? And then eventually move on to other ventures.

I get the feeling you guys think I want a restaurant with 300+ seats and a top of the line kitchen with 20 staff members.

Well it was youwho said a restaurant.

My dad owns a small 50 seat restaurant, let me tell you $30k wouldn't even equip the kitchen never mind front of house. Or it might cover a couple of members of staff for a year.

I tried to make it specific, a small place, like seat 10 people at most, everyone else for take out.

That sort of local small business.

My family owns a restaurant for 30 years, most fail within 1 year I wouldn't recommend it.

You can’t just start a fucking business with zero experience you idiot. You will fail miserably. If you have a passion for food, go WORK at a restaurant for 15 years and learn it inside and out.

do this user, start small and see if it works then grow from there.

This is exactly what I am looking for. Any other advice?

Everyone else that tells me it's going to fail that's fine. I still want to give it a shot.

if and only if you specialize and refine the recipe of a sugar coated marshmallow with corn syrup drizzle layered with sugar cubes and a dash of stevia so you could market it as "low cal" Then one more layer of some sort of bleached flour cake thing with an aspartame sweeter in it.

This then would all sit on a burger base

youll make it user. youll make it

How to lose the little bit of money you have on the worst investment known to man besides scratch cards: the thread.

Or:

In 2016 we watched Rich Piano kill himself live on YouTube using only steroids and real food, now we get to watch this brainlet squander his petty cash on living his degenerate restauranteurs' dream.

I'll watch.

my old boss started as a chinese takeaway (just some tables, minimal service so you'll only need 1-2 waiter max, depending on traffic). His food was really good for the price ($10-15 AUD. Most chink foods in this price range at where i live taste the same, no matter the restaurant. Think he told me he used to work in the kitchen of a 4-5star hotel so thats where his experience came from). The equipments were all old and he had no kitchen hand, just him himself doing ALL the orders. Guy was a fking machine working multiple dishes at once in a small kitchen. All dishes were handmade as well so when he has free time he had to pre make the dumplings, meats and etc. Worked 10hours a day at absolute minimum for ~4 years before gaining popularity.

He set up a "proper" restaurant couple years ago, doubled the price and better setting but the exact same recipe and food quality.

Not saying you should copy him but I think it'll be good to know what others have done.

Truth is you won´t get a valueable answer on this website. Don´t make the mistake of your lifetime by listening to some business advice from a fuking ANONYMOUS person. If you really want to open something you have to know the laws (taxation, food quality standards, accounting, insurance, etc.. ). And believe me that you need some experience before you start.
Your best option would be to first reasearch how to legally open an gastronomical business and how to get insurence etc. for it. If you got coinfident you sit down and calculate all costs. You make a business plan for each month for the next 3 years. You will realize that 30k will be not enough and that you need a credit so you ask for a business meeting with you bank consultant and present you calculations. He will recalculate them and he will offer you a deal. Its up to you how you decide but you can get pretty fucked by law if you fail so don´t be stupid.
Wish you best of luck

oh and i remember him telling me that the cost to outfit his new restaurant was about 100k, including the interior design, furniture and equipments.

just LMAO at anyone who voluntarily goes into the food and service industry

I wouldn't say that.

Truth is... I had close to 30 years of experience in the business. Worked as a cook, spent spent a decade as a manger, another 5 years as an area manager, then moved up to corporate running loss prevention and being #2 @ finance before starting my own business.

Short answer is.... I AM an expert when it comes to this topic.

No offense and I mean this in the most respectful way. If you’re idea is to open a restaurant then you are already sooooooo fucked. It’s completely obvious that you have 1) absolutely zero experience with owning a business 2) have zero experience in the restaurant industry. 3) you have yet to comprehend that this is a very bad idea, because you have countered with juvenile reaponse. So my advice, open that goddam restaurant and be on your way to learning the most expensive leason of your life.

Open a food truck and man it by yourself and maybe a gf on register for health codes. No rent or cheap rent, movable to better locations, hipster food cred.

Former chef here. Don't do it.

If that doesn't convince you, go work in a few restaurants for the next 10 years and you might have the experience to pull it off.

It's a game of slim margins, and a total noob will get fucked hard.

Still want to do it? Start a food truck, not a restaurant.