Alright Veeky Forums, since Orthodox Easter is coming up...

Alright Veeky Forums, since Orthodox Easter is coming up, I decided to have a bit of a rebirth myself by working towards a literary lifestyle. I'm not Orthodox, but whatever.

So I was thinking about eliminating most downtime from my daily routine by adding literary activities to better myself and keep away distractions. I'm also taking suggestions. Here's what I have so far:

> While eating I'll listen to interviews, readings, conferences and speeches online (DFW has quite a few of those)
> I'll read at least a poem a day (I'm not big into poetry, any suggestions for a beginner?)
> Since my French is embarrassingly basic, I'll watch/listen to a course everyday (again, taking suggestions on the best ones, I know Veeky Forums discusses these things from time to time)
> I'll add audiobooks to my tablet rather than my music player since it's difficult to rewind on the latter; I'll look like a sperg carrying my tablet around, but whatever
> I'll keep a dream journal near my bed at all times, just for the fun of it
> Maybe I'll make room for one short story every day, not sure yet
> Go for the "such a nerd" option and learn a new word everyday since most if not all online dictionaries offer this option on their front page

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Daily-Rituals-How-Artists-Work/dp/0307273601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395889780&sr=1-1&keywords=daily rituals
dailyroutines.typepad.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>rebirth
>resurrection

Whatever, you get what I mean.

The most notorious late riser in history, Descartes, really needs to be on this chart.

>That Kafka chart
>Implying he didn't stay up until the early hours of the morning more than a few times

Even then, his diaries are full of complaints how draining it was for him to write full-time and work full-time, I wouldn't try it if it's in a shitty meme pic

'mirin milton.

Gotta enjoy life

I would say so does Faulkner. He quite famously worked a long day shift at a power plant while writing As I Lay Dying and then would do his creative work from 12 til 4 in the morning

I'd be careful not to overload yourself with too many changes at once. Be prepared to cut yourself a little slack to begin with (maybe take one or two things out of your list if you need to) so that you achieve more in the long run.

It's not very exciting in the now but incremental self-improvement can change you so much over just a year. Good luck!!

Just if you are NEET

Here's the other one, had to turn it into .jpg due to filesize restriction.

Goddamn, now I feel terrible about all the time I waste.

Well change your ways, that's what I'm trying to do.

Actually, this gave me a bit of an idea. I could copy the template for that circle and organize my schedule around it, both ahead of time and after the fact, seeing where my routine fails and so on.

kafka my man
stress is killing me tho

>Flaubert wakes up late and drinks cold chocolate like me
>his main social interactions are with his mother too

You might as well call me a literary genius guise.

He sure managed to do a lot in those two hours after waking up. My first two waking hours are spent half-blindly making coffee while hoping that I don't set the house on fire and then browsing youtube until I can properly open my eyes.

One final bump before we let this bad boy die, in case anyone has any suggestions or just wants to save the charts

This is great, but are there any actual sources for this?

amazon.com/Daily-Rituals-How-Artists-Work/dp/0307273601/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395889780&sr=1-1&keywords=daily rituals

This is where it's from so the sources are probably cited in the book.

This first reviewer succinctly sums up the entire book, rendering the text profitless.

The greatest thing I've done for myself lately in terms of doing away with distractions and increasing focus is pairing down my possessions to about a duffel bag's worth and by increasing the austerity of my lifestyle.

Monks know what they're doing in that regard.

it was originally a site: dailyroutines.typepad.com/

Excepting Balzac, none of them seem to sleep as much as I do.

I don't get how it is possible.

>austerity
prefer the term renunciation

That sounds a bit grave for my little attempts at simple living desu.

>. I'm not Orthodox
why not?

how do i convert?
what's the deal with the fasting?

I don't think there are sources, the 50 cups / coffee / day, forever, of Balzac is obvious bullshit that keeps on getting repeated

>Kafka
>going to sleep at 6 am

I do the same thing only sometimes I don't sleep at all.

Because I'm Greek Catholic.

Well, unless I'm reading that chart wrong, it seems most sleep about 7 hours. That's not so bad if you get used to it. I prefer about 8-9 hours, but could go up to 13 if I don't set an alarm.

Looks like a good idea. Anybody know any good software for organizing your day? I might draft up day plans for myself. How much you guys think I should put up for socializing? I've been more and more less social lately and wonder if it's necessary to even bother. Maybe like 20-30 minutes a day on a forum/chan is enough.

Well it depends on your situation. For me, socializing means going for a stroll once a day with a friend who walks his dog, I don't really count Veeky Forums as socializing although the banter here probably justifies it. I do dedicate one evening a week for going out with my colleagues, but that one's circumstantial rather than planned.

I think I'm going to do a loose schedule. I don't go back to college till the fall so I think scheduling myself should be laxed. Set aside 3-5 hours a day to a strict study/reading/improving myself and the rest being whatever I want.

That's a good plan. I usually manage to waste the entire day browsing the Internet so that's the main reason why I want to impose a routine, not because I care so much about obsessive scheduling.

Yeah I think an obsessive schedule would deter me from ever attempting to improve myself. Being able to set aside some hours to do dedicated reading/studying would be much of my style. I like my free time to do nothing.

Stephen King suggested that've you got to read and write for 6 hours a day at least.

Is that 3 hours of writing and 3 hours of reading?

How long does it take Veeky Forums to write 2000 words?

> Stephen King suggested

Stopped reading right there.

But seriously, just mix up reading and writing, there's no need to be neurotic about it. If you can "work" 6 hours a day that's already an achievement as long as you're learning from what you read (even if just in terms of style).

It's like you're Kafka!

>Well, kid.
Is he going to finish that?

>photo taken of computer screen
>tumblr screencap
>"via 9gag.com"
>"stephen king suggested"

>19 trillion, not 19 billion

That site has quite a few interviews with writers concerning their daily routine.

Yeah but I find that after 7 hours at night I need something in the middle of the day. Like right after work, or after physical activity otherwise I'm wiped out by like 8 at night.

I feel the same way, but maybe those extra hours can be compensated for by having a healthy lifestyle. Then again, I'm a fat neckbeard so I can't really speak from experience on that.