Russian Foods

There's a Russian market near my house I'm hitting up tomorrow. I expect less of pic related and more of processed Russian goods and stuff. Any recommendations on what to look out for as far as meats/candies/baked goods/pickled things/etc go?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HgG_b9L7dwo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most markets have large sections of deep frozen pelmeni. Those are dumplings with meat filling. Somewhat comparable to tortelini, although the filling is far more meaty in my opinion. Since they're a bitch to make many russians prefer the frozen variant themselfes.

Boil them for five mins, get them out and fry them in some butter until crispy.

It tastes really good with some sour cream or creme fraiche.

Well that dude has a pretty memorable face, so at least I'm sure I'll recognize it. Is it a specific brand to watch out for or pelmeni in general?

Best thing IMO is smetana if they have it - basically russian style sour cream. It's not as sour as western style stuff, and has much higher fat content (around 24%). It's fucking amazing on pierogi, pirozhki, pelmeni, etc.

I have never seen it anywhere other than russian/ukranian grocers, and even then most don't seem to carry it.

I dislike those with turkey filling. Just ask the clerks if they reccomend a certain brand. Also Tchebureki are pretty neat. Those are p easy to make by yourself, but the frozen ones are ok too. Fry them in your pan and dip them in some ketchup, tabasco or 'cha.

Yeah, the clerks at the store seemed pretty helpful last time I was there. I'll ask them about this stuff too. I've had some fucking killer pickles from there so far, thinking of picking up some pickled watermelon too. Any suggestions on ice creams or candies to get?

Pelmeni, tchebureki, manti, pierogi, pishki, smetana (like someone already mentioned), kvass (russian drink).
They might have that amazing black rye bread, which name I forgot.

Maybe you can get there some good vegetables and make yourself some Borsch.

Plombir is the ice cream you wanna try. Candies are mostly single packaged that are sold by the kg/lb, just try some.

Also some pickled vegetables. Cucumbers in salt brine are p good.

If they have candy: those little polish gold wrapped vodka chocolates. Also those Konafetto sticks, or the green chocolates with the squirrels on them. Id give you names but I dont remember them.

Protip: do not say the T in borsh. There is no T sound at all. Its just said like borsh with the sh being softly pronounced.

Oh and can I ask where the market is at?

Indianapolis area.
I remember seeing some candies with squirrels on them, though they were nondescript. I'll check em out. Will the gold wrapped vodka chocolates be obvious?
Any particular brand or are most of the Russian brands going to be good?

Barberry candy is nice too. Has a refreshing fruity-sour taste.

Those squirrel candies are like mini chocolate bars with hazelnuts. They're called "бeлoчкa", which is russian for... squirrel.

Oh yeah. Do yourself a favour and boil them with one or two bay leaves.

Look for "Baikal". Wikipedia considers it as the russian equivalent to cola. It's a neat herbal soft drink.

I second this, but if you can find Smetana at the market, take that over Creme Fraiche.

If they don't have Smetana, your Russian Market is of a failing grade.

Fuck you, you fucking hoosier. I bet you live in Broadripple, or fucking Carmel or something. Faggot. Anyways, look for fish soup in a can for real.

I hate Carmelites as much as the next guy, user, don't worry. But yes, I live close. The market's in Carmel, anyway. Fish soup, though? In a CAN? I mean I'll ask about it, sounds suspect.

The substitute for smetana would be sour cream not creme fraiche anyway... unless you want to be really picky, smetana IS sour cream.

I eat pelmeni with smetana and adjika myself. They are a bit uninspiring without the kick adjika adds.

You know I am going to say I am wrong here. Creme fraiche is closer, I shot my mouth off before thinking.

>boiling pelmeni before frying
That doesn't sound right.

>black rye bread, which name I forgot.
Borodinskiy? The one with coriander seeds, right?
Also I implore you to try tvorog (quark), it's a fantastic dairy product.
Also give Alyonka chocolate a try

Russian Dressing for your corned beef sammies

K V A S
V
A
S

>Russian Dressing
The fuck is that?

>Borodinskiy? The one with coriander seeds, right?

YES! That was it, brings back memories of st peterburg

>what to look out for
Should have a nice supply of teas, jams/jellies, honey that isn't clover. Look into any freezer section, where there might be locally produced stuffed dumplings in flavors that you can't get at your local grocery in say pierogies, plum or a spiced meat, for instance. Just boil til cooked through, then butter or sauce them up to serve. I love sour cream on everything myself. If they have a brand you don't recognize, it should be extra rich.

There could be a deli counter where you can find some varieties of spiced sausages that though they may not at all be imported due to regulations, they will be some copycat of a craft food from a family farm in the states, with flavors of some former soviet bloc place with distinctive flavors. Russian markets are great sources from foods that you consider hungarian, ukrainian, polish, romanian, even german, and similar. A lot of europe in Russia, let's just say.

Anything from the bakery you'd love..breads with onions, herbs, poppy seed (be careful with work drug testing, however). For novelty's sake, feel free to buy some caviar at a decent price if you like it and try your hand at making blinis or buy some dark rye to slice thin. Anything pickled should be nice and unusual.

get the sesame bread.

and if they have hot food sections, get kinkhali and plov and chicken katleti

>jams/jellies
look for the sour cherry! It's delicious.
For those of you don't have a russian market, I regularly see some of their jams at Big Lots.

i mean poppy seed,
and can try some of the herb flavored drinks
and the pick and choose chocolates are great
and hazelnut wafers
and farmer's cheese
and kefir
and georgian plum sauce

K O M P O T
O
M
P
O
T

Kompot is something you make, not something you buy.

OP here, went to the store. Got mostly candies this time
Got some Adjik which turned out to be REALLY good, some pickled things, Kvass, and ice cream.
Wasn't too impressed with the ice cream, there was a lot of good candy though. There's some thing that I only describe as a sour peep which was my favorite, it was round and there was a chocolate covered variety. The squirrel one with the green packaging was great too. I don't drink alcohol, and wasn't sure if Kvass was alcoholic or not, it was hard to tell, so I shared it with a friend. Next time I plan on getting the Borodinskiy bread I saw, some pelmeni and smetana as well as some of their meats hopefully.
I saw this only after I got back, I'll check out the sour cherry jam next time. I really have no idea what to get as far as the meats go, there were a lot of options.

>wasn't sure if Kvass was alcoholic or not
It's very midlly alcoholic, around 1%

It was pretty good regardless. Maybe I'm secretly an alcoholic, who knows. I didn't see the herbal soda, though.

tarragon soda

I came into this thread to reccomend pelmeni.
See if they have black bread too.

paprika

Get a can "sgushenka" (sweetened condensed milk) and eat it with some blinis (crepes).

youtube.com/watch?v=HgG_b9L7dwo

lol Russian dressing
it's what students pour into their ramen to make it somewhat filling after wasting all their allowance on something stupid, I'm sure not only russian ones