Has an author ever significantly changed your views?

Has an author ever significantly changed your views?

Bart Ehrman, William James and Tolstoy all really undermined my belief in orthodox (small o) christianity

Zizek

Dostoevsky and Homer.

Also Plato and Schopenhauer.

Seneca and Cicero have. I had suicidal thoughts as a teenager, but I was lucky enough to have Latin in school

Cioran and Shestov for philosophy, Nietzsche and Dostoevsky also have played a role in my views but largely now I see them threw Shestov's interpretation. Oscar Wilde and Keats for aesthetics.

After being "chronically depressed" for all my memorable life, becoming a NEET shut-in after finishing school, and eventually diagnosed with aspergers, I had a kind of sudden spiritual revolution one day. I'd never read or been interested in any philosophy whatsoever, but I started spontaneously coming up with a whole series of ideas that completely changed the way I thought of the world and my place within it. Years later, I found that my original ideas were almost identical to Schopenhauer's whole system. Reading him for the first time was incredible for that reason. It felt like he was sorting all my own thoughts out for me into a coherent and extremely well researched system.

Then Nietzsche destroyed it all and it felt absolutely right.

Authors are all pure fuckhead dickheads sucking on some dicks fucking on some dicks fuck outta here you dumb idiot bitch

Schopenhauer changed my view on women
Hitler changed my political beliefs
Evola changed my view on tradition

Gay loser...

Tolstoy's short stories taught me to be more forgiving.

My boy kierky, of course

Gene Wolfe and Dostoevsky for the most part.

>Schopenhauer changed my view on women

The dude was a 25 year-old virgin with misogynist tendencies. I sincerely hope you're trolling.

obligatory 'asocial' vs. 'antisocial' discernment post

seconding Kierkegaard, for his role in the evolution of my faith

>be me
>14 and ready to mingle and am single ahaha
>go to a cool skate and beer rock and roll party
>also hip hop surfing guys there
>too cool everybody rock out
>see one girl there who was 11/10 and just dancing
>I say hey bitch does your pussy need to be fucked by this my dick?
>she says you're a bad boy I like tough guys
>I say shut up and just fuck her pussy right in front of everyone
>my friends all cheer and start clapping and she starts to make out with another girl who is 11/10 and they both fuck my dick with their pussies
>a big jock at the party cries because the second girl is his girlfriend and he leaves
>everyone says they hate him and only pretend to like him cause they're scared because he punches or kicks them
>I get a letter from everyone to say thank you and all the girls said my dick was really big
>they put a picture on Facebook and I get embarrassed but then 58 girls liked and commented and said I had a big dick and they want me to fuck them
>I fuck 22 of them but the rest are 8/10 or 9/10 and not hot enough even if they want me to fuck their pussies

Schopy was not a virgin.

Of course.
First Nietzsche made me question (and essentially reject) the entire idea of morality, desiring freedom and being some sort of a nihilist.
Then Tolstoy (and absolutely not Dosto!) made me realize morality is more than a set of rules, understand its place within the freedom I seeked.
Than Wilde and Keats and shit just made me like art.

Foucault and Nietzche both made me question punishment and how power is derived. Nietzsche and Stirner both made me question morality. I don't look at law the same way.
Oh and Milgram completely changed my views on morality.
Goethe and Whitman both made me question my religious views. I now worship nature in the same way people worship God (kind of stupid I know). Nature is God to me now.
I guess Camus changed me a lot since before him I didn't even know what philosophy was. It's been so long since I've read him though.

Nietzsche turned me away from self-defeating pessimism where I obsessively forced myself to feel the sufferings of all the world mutilating my mind like I was some kind of Christ figure. I felt morally obligated to bear witness to it.

Schopenhauer, Tolstoy and Dostoevsky.

>>I obsessively forced myself to feel the sufferings of all the world mutilating my mind like I was some kind of Christ figure
>yfw this actually was the moral and philosophical stance advocated by your nation's greatest poet

You are mixing him up with Nietzsche.
Schopenhauer was a pussyslayer

That's why we should read more Gombrowicz. He's a panaceum for all mickewiczisms.

Matthew, Mark, Luke & John.

>(and absolutely not Dosto!)

Please elaborate

And the author of life itself.

This 2bh famalam

My extensive studies on Stirner, unabomber and my edgy interpretation of the bible worsened my depression and Heidegger and Witty made me autistic.

I wish I had something I could believe and or someone to hug me and really mean it who is not my mom

dude witty made me autistic too

Sort of. Lovecraft basically formalized the idea of cosmicism. Maybe, maybe not. But he basically said a lot of things I have always felt.

But changed my views...nah.

Hermes Trismegistus

Joyce did once I understood him, albeit with the help of my professor's lectures and essays. Reading Ulysses is the closest to reading life put on paper you can get.

Chesterton greatly changed my political and social beliefs

Kierkegaard and Dostoevsky changed how I thought about God and religion

Changed my life completely

What did they change in particular? Genuinely interested

*tips swastika

Foucault changed my understanding of power and history.

kenzaburo Oe

Raymond Carver

Kierkegaard (or replace with Flannery O'Connor if we're talking strictly literary fiction).

Unironically Hitler.

Plato first, who provided a certain mode of thinking that helps approach any kind of problem. Weighing the facts, looking in on your own biases, things like that. Very liberating.

The content of Schopenhauer's essays as well as the writing style he employs are great. He was extremely clear in what he was saying and it's hard to disagree with his pessimism. He doesn't fall into the same trap that other pessimists do where they just whine about the world, though. I very much like his concept of artistic contemplation.

Dostoevsky next, who showed like no other person I've read the depth of the human spirit, and his irrationalism is very attractive and hard to disagree with.

Homer teaches endurance, strength, and above all, honor. Nice to read and learn about masculine virtues.

I was Christian until Camus and Stirner

This guy! I'm a White Harvard modern lit major and his work changed my life.

>Has an author ever significantly changed your views?
Every author has influenced my knowledge of ideas and made me richer somehow.
Any text on math or social interactions changed my perspective.

Tell me what you realized about art.

wew you're right about Schopenhauer. All my IRL philosophy friends (I swear I have some) dislike him for being such a pessimist, but I find his negativity liberating.

I've not read dostoy sadly but I got the same experience reading Homer, also Hemingway and Melville, to a lesser extent.

>Homer teaches endurance, strength, and above all, honor.
I never understood honor. For me it's just like a contract: If you know people respect honor, you feel save to interact and trade with them.

Can you explain honor to me?

It's hard to put into words. If you read The Iliad you can easily see many different situations where honor comes into play. Achilles' refusal to fight any longer for Agamemnon because he stole Briseis from him, for example, is dishonor towards Achilles. There's also a duel between Hector and Ajax, and when the duel is stopped at night they exchange gifts, and Hector says, in spite of being enemies:

"These two fought and gave no quarter in close combat, yet they parted friends."

The way Achilles treats Hector's body is another major example of dishonor coming into play in the story.

Yeah, I think people like that will only read and see his pessimism without looking at the other things. Despite being an anti-natalist if you actually look into his work you find a lot of appreciation for life, especially in art, and his ethics is very compassion focused. They're missing out by just calling him a pessimist without seeing the other side.

I've only read two of Hemingway's works, but The Old Man and the Sea fits into the masculine endurance/strength themes, for sure.

Me again, reading Ferdydurke right now, way in advance before the teacher tells me to do so.

doh!

Machiavelli, not the prince (read by inbred edgelords), but his discourses on Livy. He goes in depth to discuss how republics are governed differently than dictatorships.

He talks about how people effectively manage not only to exercise power but also to control and manipulate the signs of power (of how what the people need and expect in a ruler are two different things).

It got me into enjoying politics.

It's probably one of the worst spooks you can adhere to since it seems to often get you killed or disadvantaged

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

If you actually read anything Schopenhaur wrote on women, and you had the slightest amount of intelligence and ability to read people. You'd know he's damn right about women. Spot on.

just want to add that, in later life, he said that women could progress even further than men if they withdraw from society. maybe you should think on the implications of that

This, except with Zizek rather than Schopenhauer

If you're utilitarian sure but it's also the most aesthetic spook i can think of.

I can sorta understand you. Mein Kampf was a lot better and articulate than i expected.

Schopenhauer was a serial womanizer.

Schoopy, Hume, Nietzscher