Do you eat the fat from steak? I absolutely cannot, even chewing it for a moment will make me want to gag...

Do you eat the fat from steak? I absolutely cannot, even chewing it for a moment will make me want to gag, I cut it all off and just eat the meat...but at the same time, I feel like leaving scraps on your plate is rude, so I never eat steak unless I'm cooking for myself

I was the same as you, then I grew up

A sirloin should be seared on the fat side for a little bit to crisp up the outside. If you don't do this then yes it will be tough and posses a rather unpleasant mouth-feel.

Did you make sure the fat was cooked?

I don't know...I never cook my steak for more than three minutes per side and it's always fatty

fuck yes, you gotta cook that shit though.

That's where the flavor is senpai, get that fat nice and crusty it's delicious and buttery.

use some prongs and stand the steak up on the fat side and sear the fat.

Cut your meat so each piece has a tiny piece of the end fat.

This may be the reason you don't like it. Undercooked fat is disgusting. Beef isn't too bad but raw pork fat smells unpleasantly piggy

I'm with you on this OP.

Even though I always sear the fat like and say, the interior of the fat (the bit in contact with the meat) still always feels squidgy or slimy. I've tried cooking it for longer on the fat side, but all that happens is that one side of the steak ends up overcooked.

Given that the rest of the steak comes out perfectly pretty much every time I cook one, I think I must just dislike the fat, so I just remove it like you do.

Kinda feel like I'm missing out as everyone thinks it's great. Even at good steakhouses I hate the fat though, so I think I'm a lost cause.

raw fat? no. i always stand my steaks up on their sides so the fat can render and brown up a bit. much tastier that way.

Stand it on the fat side and sear it like this guy.

I do exactly that m8.

Still don't like it.

You have shit taste, buddy.

But I love the rest of the steak though.

I prefer sirloin, but my local butcher sells high-quality huge rump steaks, so I've switched to tem. They taste amazing and only have a small strip of fat.

Also, the steak in looks kinda pathetic IMO. The sear isn't very even and it's really thin.

Yep. As a kid I never ate the fat. Nowadays I look for the fattiest, most marbled cuts I can get. Fat = flavor.

i don't buy shitty meat with huge slabs of fat.

i buy lean steaks.

OP is talking about the strip of fat on the OUTSIDE of the steak, not the marbling.

I'm sure that he is aware, you render that shit and eat it. Flavor.

You want to cut your pieces so each bite has a tiny piece of fat on the end.

I'm not doubting that it has flavour, I (and the OP I think) am saying that the solid fat on the outside of the steak is unpleasant to eat.

In fact, if I can do so without damaging the steak, I'll try to remove the fat before the steak is finished cooking. That way I can render it in the pan for the flavour and not have to tolerate the squidgy texture of the solid fat on the steak.

Id give Laura some of the leanest beef...

Might as well just eat round tip if you don't like that fat.

for people who hate flavor

Marbled fat cooked quickly and medium rare = amazing
Slabs of fat cooked quickly and medium rare = chewy

Most restaurants would cut a good amount of the fat off the steak in your pic.

Exactly.

Good post user - you've succinctly said what I've been trying to explain in multiple posts ITT.

You're doing something wrong if that shit don't melt in your mouth

Grantee you there isn't enough oil in the pan and he's not tilting the pan to get the oil really surrounding the fat.

To do it right, for all intents and purposes, that part of the fat needs to be deepfried for a good 60 seconds