One of the only good Christian writers since 1950

>one of the only good Christian writers since 1950
>everyone else is a hardcore fedora tipping atheist
>tfw he had drug problems, threw a table at Mary Karr, and committed suicide

Why are so few modern authors of literary merit Christians?

There are few modern authors of literary merit regardless of religion.

Either way there is also Gaddis.

Pynchon's catholic.

Cause no discernible talent.

He wasn't Christian..

Pynchon, Updike, and Borges are all superior famalam

his family was historically protestant so that's hard to believe

I know I am taking the bait but he was never religious just spiritual

I've read that both of his parents were atheists, so did DFW ever discuss his reasons for becoming religious? Maybe it was the Alcoholics Anonymous.

dfw is christian?

no wonder he sucks so much

DFW was a church-going mennonite.

And he almost certainly believed in the christian God, as anyone that doesn't willfully bury their head in the sand should.

he talks about going to church for the sense of community and dancing
he without a doubt did believe in some form of higher power
Even AA was a meditation on how spirituality affects people lives
"The only thing that I knew for sure, I wanted to do something that wasn’t just high comedy, I wanted to do something that was very, very much about America. And the things that ended up for me being most distinctively American right now, around the millennium, had to do with both entertainment and about some kind of weird, addictive, um … wanting to give yourself away to something. That I ended up thinking was kind of a distorted religious impulse. And a lot of the AA stuff in the book was mostly an excuse, was to try to have—it’s very hard to talk about people’s relationship with any
kind of God, in any book later than like Dostoyevsky. I mean the culture, it’s all wrong for it now. You know? No, no. Plausibly realistic characters don’t sit around talking about this stuff. You know?
So … I don’t know. But the minute I start talking about it, it just, it sounds number one: very vague. Two: really reductive. And the whole thing to me was so complicated, that you know it took sixteen hundred pages of sort of weird oblique stuff to even start to talk about it. And so I feel stupid, talking about it."

I hope you know you're literally the most insufferable person I've ever heard of

Interesting.

There have been authors of literary merit since the 50s?

Endo, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Joyce, Tolkien, Toole, Broch, Wolfe, Updike

user always be baiting with the same lies

but you have heard of me

>implying DFW was a theist in anything remotely approaching the traditional sense

God, this is awful bait. You godposters are actually far more shitposty and obnoxious than the neckbeard atheists you rant about.

It's on his wiki

It says this in some Esquire or Vice article too

Known retard

David Foster Wallace grabbed on to anything that he imagined might help him - like a drowning man gropes for flotsam. His library was rife with self-help bullshit.

That's how he was raised but, like his family's politics, it didn't last past his youth.

>Hemingway

this

C.S Lewis

Do you not like Hemingway? I thought A Farewell to Arms was good.

The large majority of those authors are from the first half of the 20th century, not the latter half or the 21st century.

Bella?

but Borges said he was agnostic

He was no christian. He become a catholic for a wife.