Novels that end with the protagonist or a main character becoming 'broken' or greatly more cynical?

Novels that end with the protagonist or a main character becoming 'broken' or greatly more cynical?

Thinking along the lines of Full Metal Jacket here, if that helps.

South of the Border, West of the Sun
Anna Karenina (Vronsky)
Disgrace
Gravity's Rainbow (Slothrop, not sure this is quite what you're going for though)

The Brothers Karamazov and The Idiot

People always mock 1984 for being "entry-level" or a high school book but personally I found the protagonist's time in the ministry of truth horrifying and really powerful.

The ending as well was oddly emotional in its own way

The Great Gatsby

1984 is a novel that rewards returns. Most Veeky Forumsizens are memed out of repeat reads.

american psycho

Beneath the Wheel.

Is South of the Border, West of the Sun any good? I'm currently trying to decide whether to read it or to skip - just finished Norwegian Wood (which is first book by Murakami I've read) and it was weird... Not sure I want more of the same, if it's similar.

it ain't me

It's pretty good for a short Murakami novel, but the Wind-Up Chronicle is infinitely better

Well, I have that on my to-read list too.

Every Lovecraft book.

Agreed, it's good, better than BNW

>Thinking along the lines of Full Metal Jacket here, if that helps.

The short timers

Everyone is broken in Under the Volcano. Far and away the best depiction of spiraling depression amd alcoholism I've ever read.

The Good Soldier

Literally came in here to post this

Revolutionary road

Jude the Obscure
The Return of the Native

Darconville's Cat by Alexander Theroux