Camping food. what do you bring outdoors?

Camping food. what do you bring outdoors?

>$7.12
>$28.48/lb
>plus shipping and handling

Are you out of your fucking mind? Legitimate question.

freeze-dried prepared food is for people who do't know any better

>pilot crackers
$11.50/lb

>chicken fried rice
$24.00/lb (roughly)

>raspberry crumble
$31/lb

>breakfast skillet
$27/lb (roughly)

Seriously op, explain your reasoning for buying from this company?
And no you can't buy any of these in smaller portions than listed here.

>ground beef 1.76lbs
>61 dollars
>$34.26/lb
>go to store
>ground beef is $3.65/lb

Keeps getting better.

I don't have to shit anyways

If im car camping, i take pretty much whatever i would cook at home. food weight isn't really an issue, nor is cookware weight, so bring whatever you want, plus a lot of beer

When backpacking i like knorrs pasta/rice sides, with some dehydrated vegetables and meat for dinner.

I dont like to stop and cook for lunch so for the fist couple days i eat some some kind of sausage, cheese, and crackers/bread and maybe some kind of bar. For the days after that i eat pretty much the same stuff i snack on all day--candy, trail mix, dried fruits, etc

For breakfast, its instant oatmeal with dried fruit

They're convenient for switching up the menu and make a great addition to the limited supply of fresh food you bring with you when you're on a camping trip that's long than a weekend.

Even on a 3 day weekend trip with 2-4 people, that could easily be 24 - 64 servings that have to be prepped. If you're actually going out and doing fun out door shit innawoods, you'll be eating more and getting hungrier more frequently than 3 squares a day. Mountain House in particular tastes great for what it is and how stupid simple it is to prepare (it's fun to allow the non-cooks in your party to participate, even if it's just putting boiling water into a pouch).

OP, I take a ARB 50qt refrigerated cooler filled with a combo of fresh meats,almost always some fresh eggs, fruits and veggies. Take some dry white rice, and often several packs of Mountain House myself to vary the menu a bit without having to take a shitload of stuff with me. Dried nuts, packaged candy (we're old but shit having sweets while you're fucking around passing a doob in the great outdoors with your buds is spectacular), and of course marshmallows, graham crackers, and some chocolate bars. Coffee is made with fresh beans in a hand grinder with a stainless French press.

We always buy one 24 pack of liter water bottles per person. I go camping with two other friends, always a trio.

oh man my uncle who was a marine fed
me that when we went camping
that shit tasted nasty

Knorr pasta sides
instant mashed potatoes get the sour cream and chive or broccoli cheddar for a change
ramen
foil pouches of tuna and salmon also get the tuna salad or different flavored ones
these are a dollar or a little more, ramen is cheaper. Those freeze dried meals are around $9 for a 2 portion pouch

there's like 3 threads on /out/ about this exact thing right now. You should check out /out/ for this topic. It's exactly what you want.

There's* sorry my shift key sticks sometimes and doesn't push in when I think it did

>fist couple day

I eat MRE and bring comfy food to cook on the fire.
>sausage and bread

the laxative is in the gum man
always chew the gum

dutch oven fare.

ingredients for stews and roasts, and sweet things for cobblers/crumbles.

Buy a dehydrator and prep your own shit nigga

Eating freeze-dried food while camping is a little ridiculous.

It's fun to cook over a fire. Make whatever you want, as long as you keep perishable items in decent shape and eat them first.

Guys, I like eating MREs and freeze dried foods at home with all my cozy luxuries.

I bought a bag of Mountain House freeze dried pad thai based on recommendations from /out/ to try while turkey hunting it was the worst fucking thing I’ve ever tasted! Truly horrible, and this was supposed to be one of the “better” meals…

Make a “vegetable bomb” instead, OP. Chop up a bunch of stuff and wrap it in a pouch of aluminum foil, then put it on the coals, turning occasionally.

car camping
steaks, potatoes, corns, beers

backcountry camping
dried fruits, nuts, jerky, cheese, salami, whiskey

Ray Mears

Long backpacking trips or car camping? Makes a difference. I dehydrate a bunch of beef, chicken, lamb, and sometimes venison. Then I'll dehydrate a bunch of fruit and veggies. I'll also bring along nuts and high calorie meal bars. I'll stick to three meals a day and no snacking to conserve food. Depending on the area I'll bring some fishing line and hooks, and some wire for snare traps just in case I need them. I also have a sling for taking down birds. Squab is great when you're really hungry.

I like doing through hikes tho. Did half the Appalachian trail last year. Black bears are pussies btw. You really gotta watch out for raccoons. They'll steal your food every chance they get. Gotta dangle your bag from a tree to keep those fuckers out.

I have sausage, biscuits and gravy in my backpack right now. I was anticipating ravishing hunger would make it taste decent, but ive brought lots of seasoning (Pensey's Northwoods comes to mind) to pick up the slack.

I like the beef stroganoff ones desu

>vegetable bomb
Why not call it what it is? En papillote.

seconding this
beef stroganoff is godtier tho

Spam, peanut butter, water and whiskey

I can totally see MH pad thai tasting like goopy ketchup noodles. Their products are best for something you'd accept being...slurryish.

With that, I agree Beef Stroganoff is the best Mountain House menu item overall. Stay away from ALL the egg products, they are gross and hence why I said I like to pack fresh eggs almost always in my refrigerated portable cooler in a post above.

Chili mac, mac and cheese (bland but ok with salt or healthy dose of hot sauce, I always keep Tapatio and Tabasco packets in my camp kits), biscuits and gravy, chicken a la king, beef stew (although seriously just bring cans of Dinty Moore) are some flavors that MH makes that are alright and palatable. Pasta primavera always grossed me out.

You can't call it the great outdoors if you're carcamping

There are plenty of foods that are just as easy to prep and cost less.

See Uncle Ben's

That's sick. Plan on doing NJ to ME next summer. More details on the dehydrated meats?

I could walk all day long and so long as I had one of these with me to heat up at the end of the long day I'd be perfectly happy

fuck MREs, I went camping with a friend who has a hoard of them and brought them along and I didn't shit for like five days, I was actually so worried that I was only eating one meal per day towards the end

I've considered just bringing a sack of fast cooking capellini smashed up into smaller pieces with instant rice and powdered chicken stock, like ghetto riceroni

might get boring after a while but it sounds like it would be extremely light. I do back country camping with two hour long canoe portages and stuff a lot so light weight is a big deal for me

>bringing food

I bet you faggots "camp" in RVs too

>needing a rifle to "hunt"
lmao i bet you sleep in a tent aswell

3 day hike?
-2 pints of vodka.
-high protein high calorie mix.
-fishing line, hook, fake bait.
-bag of 50% cornmeal 50% pancake mix.
-small amount of cooking oil.
-salami or other meat good for outside.

Wala

>bringing a gun
Hahaha LOOL I bet you even wear clothes instead of killing and skinning a bear with an improvised knife made out of a stick. And don't tell me you actually cook those? You're not REALLY camping unless you eat it raw.

>rifle

>>vegetable bomb
>Why not call it what it is? En papillote.

Because English is the global language and vegetable bomb is the correct term.

I only go hiking and never did any overnight things
So usually I just bring clif bars and trailmix
Never really though of what to take for overnight stuff.

Weight is a premium. You're paying to have a meal in a small package that doesn't take up space or weigh you down.

>what do you bring outdoors?

Pic related.

Sure, I get that both weight and space are at a premium. But surely you can make things yourself so you don't have to spend that crazy amount of money.

Plenty of people here access remote as fuck places thanks to capable vehicles.

It's still the great outdoors if you can leverage your resources and opportunities to fit your adventure.

If the price is too much for you, then go ahead and feel free to use alternatives that trade your time for cost. Sharing options is what makes /out/ great.

There are plenty of people here though who alter and enjoy their /out/door experiences as it fits their lifestyle and perhaps more importantly... their time restraints. There are a shit ton of successful people who make enough money per hour that it is an even bigger waste to spend the one resource you'll NEVER get back (time), and would rather spend it elsewhere.

I bet you sleep and don't Bert stare into the howling dark

Dude. Listen.
Thirty four dollars and twenty six cents.
One pound of low quality ground beef.

If it doesn't rehydrate back to at least 8lbs ground beef, I am not fucking with it. Ice is like $1.50/bag.

I make pasta sauce on a ragular basis and I've been thinking of dehydrating some and vacuum sealing it for backpacking.

Just add water and pasta and boil until cooked to the texture I like.

Actually they're called hobo packs u goddamn fat wookie bitch

This is a good post

Also OP if you are backpacking a lot you should get a food dehydrator and pack your own shit

not to be a dick but people would be interested in the same thread on this board because some of us actually know about food and cooking, the same reason we get people from Veeky Forums, they have heard what the fitness nerds have to say on the subject and want to try us

It depends on which one it is. I can't remember which one is particularly terrible but you might have had that one.

this

Beer, Bacon and beans

does the cheese one really screw you up?

No, it contains a small amount of an artificial sweetener that can act as a laxative if taken in large amounts. The gum is a morale booster, something to remind you of home, of a better place, something to keep you mind off the situation at hand.

>Eating freeze-dried food while camping is a little ridiculous.
If you're camping in a state park, yes. If you're camping 10 miles innawoods on a 5 day trek they're a great option. I wouldn't eat them the whole trip but it's nice to have something very different from tortillas and tuna.

I served in the Ranger Infantry for four years, the Airborne Infantry for four years and the leg Infantry for two years.

I am quite well versed in survival techniques.

What should you take with you on your camping trip? Everything you can. Bring along a platter of lasagna if you can. Bring whatever the situation dictates - because - you never know when you will be less afforded to do so.

Take advantage of every luxury you can. I recall watching water flow out of the faucet in complete amazement after one deployment in LRS.

I mean... if you're preparing your freeze dried dog food with creek water or something, yeah.

If not, you have to pack in the water it takes to rehydrate your meal and then much weight have you actually saved?

It's zero. The answer is literally zero. You're better off bringing canned food because it weighs the same as dehydrated + water, is a tiny fraction of the price, you have a much better selection available, and the final product is arguably much higher quality.

>Oreo's
>In a British army ration

The fuck is going on?

What is a filter? Boiling water? Iodine tablets?

Don't get me wrong, I hate freeze dried stuff and I'd take canned any day over it but there's so many ways to make that "creek water" potable it's not even funny and has no place in the argument unless you live beside Chernobyl or something

Just eat s'mores for every meal

I know about treating water, but do you guys honestly think the yuppies buying this shit bother with it?

Even still, now you've set up a situation that REQUIRES you to boil water (iodine is for emergencies only and nobody should trust any filter period) and you're using it to rehydrate shitty freeze-dried chili mac instead of... oh I dunno, cooking the same thing from pre-portioned dry ingredients since you're going through all the effort anyway?

where you gonna get that water to boil your pre-portioned dry ingredients? Carry it in? Cool story day hiker.

I mean you say fuck water from filter this that for freeze dried then say cooking your own pre portioned dry ingredients..which..require water

You're a moron.

I'm saying if you have to boil your own creek water, you're already cooking.

So what have you accomplished again by buying an expensive, shitty, freeze-dried meal?

dork. I love you

>TFW you come to a thread and someone has already argued your point for you.

You don't carry water for a multiple day excursion with you. Yes, you're already boiling water but you dump the water into the bag. You're not cooking. Sure, you could knorr it up or something but it's not the same.

>British Army Rations
>Includes American hot sauce

British Army got cucked by Obama

Ravioli one was a bit chunkier than marinara sauce should be, but otherwise pretty good. I had a hot meal.

>not packing your shit in for over a week then leaving a dump that towers over the toilet seat in the Best Buy pubic restroom near your house.

Amateurs.

dried fruit, seeds and nuts, canned fish, powdered drink mixes, water purification tabs, oil - survival or long expeditions, you're packing energy at the lowest weight possible

trail mix, jerky, and electrolytes for hiking and trekking short distances within a day maybe
sausage and crackers, spreads, fruit and/or wine maybe, camp site foods

obviously you can't forget your staples like salt and pepper. please try not to attract dangerous animals for shit's sake OP....

you never know when you or someone might need sugars by the way, bring some candy if you can, something sugary, natural sugars might do the trick in some instances - who knows

>British Army got cucked by Obama

Brit amry has been cucked for decades. Did you know that during WWII when people in the UK were eating rations and whatever they could grow in home gardens American solider showed up with meals that included chocolate bars and seduced Brit qts with them.

Women were so much easier to impress back then. Thank you Hershey.

>Eurocucks think it's the butric acid that repulses them to Hershey's chocolate when it's really their national memory reminding them that their forefathers got cucked for chocolate bars

if you heat it up more it usually gets less thick. The sauce not the shits after.

kek

Rations need sriracha for warmth on a chilly day.

this is stupid

>What is filter+ chlorine dioxide
If you carry more than a days worth of water in an area where there is surface water readily available then you are doing it wrong.

Dried food saves a lot of space and honestly, anything will taste good after a long day of exercise.

That said, Mountain house and other companies that sell "backpackers meals" massively overcharge.

On backpacking trips, I'll bring those boil in a bag indian dinners. They're filling and the cleanup is so easy.

I can't handle how gross those dehydrated meals are, though they do cut down on weight.

I just get them as dry as possible with a dehydrator. I'll boil them in water to make a quick soup for a meal, along with the veggies. I'll cook the fruit with oatmeal or rice or whatever carb I have around. I'll stop by small towns to resupply my carb stock and maybe get a meal if they have a restaurant in the area. I didn't stick around the towns for too long since most were kind of shitty and I was alone without a penis.

I did kill plenty of birds when I was out of meat. Sling skills are pretty handy when you're hungry. Only caught two rabbits with my snares. Still, those bun buns are delicious.

I really recommend learning how to kill small game if you're going to be out there for than a few weeks.

The fuck are you shooting? Rabbits? Squirrels? You can't eat a larger animal fast enough to justify the kill. I just used a sling and that netted me a few ducks and doves. Enough to get me through. I was alone, though. Fishing is good, but I didn't have room for a pole so I just bought some thick lines and hooks. Weren't too many streams to fish in up in the mountains without going way off trail anyway.

A sling just seems more practical. Get good with it and you could easily maim a person.

>using a stick

silver spooned limp dick detected, hows the trust fund, faggot? You have hands, use em' for something besides grabbing your dick.

Oh, and I slice em real thin and marinade them in soy sauce or bbq sauce over night, then pat em dry then into the dehydrator they go. They make for a good sauce when you rehydrate them.

My needs are few and I can find enjoyment in most things, so I'm not fussy about how my food tastes when I'm hiking for at least 2 months.

The Appalachian trail hike was a week shy of three months. The animals that I killed seemed necessary at the time. Also learn about the edible plants in the area and don't fuck it up.

Luckily I'm only 5'4" and 135 pounds. I didn't need too much food. Still dropped ten pounds. Went from 145 to 135. Great way to lean down if you're already muscular.

Fug I'm rambling. Fuggin beer.

>Mountain house beef stroganoff
FUCK YES
THAT
IS
THE
SHIT