What recipes have you picked up from anime and manga?

What recipes have you picked up from anime and manga?

I think Japanese food is great because of how simple it is. There is a tonne of room for experimentation. I feel like Japanese food is more fun if you live in European countries because you can make some bizarre shit.

I just made a full English donburi.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-4v6iJOsaW8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck off, weeb.

You seem triggered.

Only faggots and Americans get 'triggered'.

And only retards come to an anime image board and bitch about anime. Feel free to continue thinking you have the power to make a difference though.

i hope russia rips japan a new asshole

Planning to make beef bourguignon thanks to a recent episode of Shokugeki no Soma. I feel way over my head, only realized after buying all the ingredients that you're supposed to cook it in a dutch oven (I'm just a poor student, I don't have that shit) and that it takes upwards of 3 hours to stew it.

It's a fun way to get inspired to try cooking new things, but it's also really frustrating for Japanese dishes when they revolve around ingredients that you can't get in the west. Fucking everything uses some kind of stock based on some kind of dried seaweed. And fucking sake. If I were to buy a bottle of sake every time I wanted to try a new dish that needs sake, I'd be broke.

Here, 1 litre of chinese cooking wine (rice wine) from my local chinese supermarket is $2. It's a pretty straight swap for sake. There is no substitute for japanese mirin though, that's kinda pricey.

You definitely aren't supposed to be using nice drinking sake to cook with, although with western dishes like bourguignon you do want to use wine that you would passably drink.

I bought some reduced cooking wine I found at the supermarket, I hope it does the trick. Alcohol in general is fucking expensive here, so there's no way I can afford buying a bottle of Burgundy wine just to try out in a dish.

I'll definitely look out for Chinese cooking wine, though. It's so much easier if there's a non-Japanese equivalent.

How about the sauce you used for your donburi, if any? For katsudon, they have this sauce that they literally just call "sauce", making it a nightmare to try to figure out what kind of sauce it is. I think they usually use soy sauce, mirin and dashi, but just dashi itself is a total mystery to me. And how do they get it so thick with just that?

I was just throwing out some retarded bait i found on /a/ but you seem like a good lad.

I have made tonkatsu don with a pretty nice sauce- soy sauce, mirin, sugar (forget dashi for stuff like this), and a cornstarch slurry to thicken.

To make a Cornstarch Slurry, dissolve 1 tbsp. cornstarch or flour in 2 tbsp. COLD water, then whisk the slurry into 1 cup of just boiling liquid. The difference in temperature is important to reduce the likelihood of lumps. The right proportions and temperatures should yield a consistency similar to Heavy Cream.

Oh, that sounds like it could work. I've always added starch at the end, with not always so good results.

Still wanna try unraveling this dashi secret sometime and get in on this umami thing they keep going on about.

It doesnt have to be burgundy, in west europe i get a passable bottle of dry heavy red wine for 4€ easily, i wouldnt love to drink it, but alright.
3 hours is not enough if you use a good cut for braises (lot of connective tissue), mine usually takes around 6-8 hours.
A large pot works totally alright.
Youll need to sub for the lack of wine, some cognac (minibottle) after searing, some drops fish, and soysauce to taste add the end, thatd be my advice for bouef

Oh boy... Dashi is a damn basic broth, delicate in preparation and heavily reliant on premium ingredients but calling it a mystery is silly, you can read up about it in 5 minutes.
Now with the umami i think im getting trolled

>There is no substitute for japanese mirin though, that's kinda pricey.

Dora taught me a good substitute though:
youtube.com/watch?v=-4v6iJOsaW8

>wine for 4€
Even "cheap" wine is expensive as fuck here due to alcohol taxes.
>3 hours is not enough
Fuck. Looks like I'm not eating in a while.
>some cognac
Don't have cognac. All I got is rum and vodka.

>premium ingredients
That's the problem. It probably isn't an issue if you live in Japan, considering how much they use it for, but I haven't even heard of the highly specific shit they base the broth on.

You get it at every asia supermarket.
Dashi is only 2 ingredients, which are widely available in eu, but far inferior in quality, especially the bonito. Basically throwing shitty kombu and shitty bonito together will produce a shitty stock, while it can potentially be awesome, just not in the eu.
And dont freak over the boef bourguignon, its a very easy dish, also quite cheap (if you find a solution for the expensive alc) and nice for a single person, since it keeps well. You just skim fat, stir and add liquid sometimes after simmering starts

For all you jap Veeky Forums lovers i want to recommend a channel on yt
>Cooking with Dog
Its sounds worse than it is, but the chef cooks some amazing traditional jap meals. I use her recipe for chicken toriten and it was oishii desu

Sounds really good man, I'm thinking of doing a kipper donburi. Aside from the fish what else should I add?

looking for a hikikomori cookbook

tamagoyaki

just roll that bitch ass egg up

i watched this all the time back in the day

runnyrunny999 is another one i used to watch but grew out of

I've wanted to try Tonkatsu since it sounds good, that's about it.

Literally the total opposite happened on 1904. Kek.

They're my go-to channel for Japanese cuisine. Their chicken karaage recipe is fucking ace.