ITT: rich people cooking and foods. rich people, I have a question, what does

ITT: rich people cooking and foods. rich people, I have a question, what does
truffle oil taste like? I can afford it but I don't want to waste 30 or so bucks if it turns out it tastes like shit.

I would imagine it taste like oil with a slight hint of truffles.

Like shit, don't bother.

Wouldn't it be more worth it just to buy a small white truffle instead of buying oil?

But if you don't know what it tastes like, I wouldn't buy it if you're questioning the expense. Try it at a few restaurants first so you can not only learn what it tastes like, but what it pairs well with, and if you even like it.

I'm not even familiar with what truffles taste like, is it a weird sour oil, or is it meaty like mushrooms

General rule is never use truffle oil. It makes thing taste like truffles and that's rarely what you want

are you sure you weren't eating truffle oil that was past its prime?

Just buy duck fat.

Fry everything in that.

It will taste 100 times better.

Copper and dirt.

It's seriously garbage and a trick being played on people with money who have never gotten to eat a real truffle.

this

That's like saying someone should just eat smoked salmon instead of caviar. Both are delicious but they're not substitutes for one another.

Except truffle oil is not good.

I don't know, the copper and dirt sounds good to me. it sounds like a tiny bit would be good in a pasta with lots of leafy greens, don't know if I would like it in a meat dish that just seems redundant

The only people that say truffle oil isn't good is memesters who watch ugly chefs on food network bitch and moan about how overpowering truffle oil is.

FYI op a 30 dollar bottle will last you years, you need 2-4 drops of truffle oil in a dish.

Make a fried egg and put 1 single drop of truffle oil on the yolk, then break it and eat it, thats a good way to gauge its taste, or
Truffle oil goes well with gnocchi and mushrooms, thats a good start if you want to use it in a dinner type dish.(moreso if you can make parisian style gnocchi, but you need a mixer).

As for the topic itself I cook for rich people every once in a while at their homes as a side catering gig, and my go too "expensive" stuff to bring is good quality smoked paprika(la dalia is a good brand), good hard and soft cheese(1608, glengarry lannkaster, beemster, chateau du robuchon), good quality finishing salt, and caviar.

By and far caviar is the only un-affordable thing to most people, great ingredients aren't cheap, but lets say I have to pay 8 dollars for a package of some no name brand smoked paprika, spending 13 dollars for an amazing brand isn't that much of a stretch considering a can usually lasts me about 2 months.

>FYI op a 30 dollar bottle will last you years, you need 2-4 drops of truffle oil in a dish

how long before it goes rancid

It doesn't if you keep it refrigerated. Not that user, but I have a bottle of the same as OPs pic that I've had for almost 5 yrs, and a bottle of the black, and use it fairly regularly. Great on simple pasta dishes, taters (fried, mashed), use it sparingly. It has a very strong earthy mushroom flavor that really can't be described, some people obviously don't care for it, but that's mostly because it's so pungent and often treated like olive oil and over used in a dish. Place your thumb over the opening of the bottle and only use a drop or two and taste, if it isn't enough, repeat, but that's usually sufficient. Made beef ravioli with fresh sage from my garden, parm, shrooms, white wine, and a bit of white truffle oil last night in fact. Divine.

it's not real either

just stay away

& will probably do the same with gnocchi, shrooms, cream, spinach, Asiago, white wine, with a touch of truffle oil this evening. Good to have in your fridge/pantry IMHO

ok you guys have tempted me enough, ill buy some. now for the next rich food, gold shavings? what do they add?

Seriously, don't buy a can just yet.

If you live near a place with six digit population, you can find a place that'll serve something like truffle oil fries.

Try it first.

(and it's shit)

a starbucks (yeah i know) near my house serves truffle mac and cheese, ill try it tonight or tomorrow night., but of course truffle fries tastes disgusting, they sound gross at least.

>what does
>truffle oil taste like? I can afford it but I don't want to waste 30 or so bucks if it turns out it tastes like shit.
I suppose you could try it in a restaurant dish a couple of times before you cook with it. It's commonly served on fries, and drizzled on steak. You could also buy Lay's truffle chips, ROFL.

Do you adore mushrooms in many ways? Probably like truffles then. But, there's no need to buy some $30 version as your first purchase. Buy something smaller, or of lesser quality. Look in your grocery for something there in the oil aisle with less flavor, more dilution, and toss a copious amount of it with your oven roasted potatoes. When that bottle is empty, upgrade.

I don't care what people say here about it lasting for years. It might, or it might not. The dark tin is a good thing, but no matter what, oil can and will go rancid and you don't always know how old it is when you buy it and how well it was kept before (possibly artificial) funky flavoring got added to it. White truffle is notoriously more fake than less rare black truffle oil, but that doesn't mean that it isn't delicious, just that of the 30 flavor compounds that real truffle might have, it's not got all 30! I think a really good way to get maximum flavor in bought items is to buy truffle butter.

How expensive and where do you buy it

Morels, chanterelles, porterhouse steak, sturgeon caviar, lobster, King/dungeness crab, iberico jamon, champagne

>gold shavings
Misread your post, sorry. They add nothing.

It's pretty inexpensive ~10$ and less when on sale in my neck of the woods, same as OPs brand at Kroger in rural MI USA. You can find better ofc, but it's decent for home use, if you like it.

they literally taste of nothing and are very overpriced
just spend $50 on a gold bar and a couple of bucks on a decent ballpeen hammer and a few hours of time if you are deadset on getting gold leaf

Gold is totally inert towards the human body. That means it has no taste or nutritional value, and it isn't digestible, so it passes right through you.
So, gold shavings are literally a waste of money.

The last part does not follow from the first part, super famicom friendroid

does it have fiber since it isnt digestible? like cellulose?

But nothing says it better that you're better than others than that even your shit sparkles.

It has no nutritional content. At all.
Your saliva doesn't dissolve it. Your stomach acid doesn't dissolve it. Your intestines can't process it.
It comes out the same way it went in.
You're literally buying it to flush it down the toilet.

still wont stop me from eating it, i plan on buying a little container of them and sprinkling them on my food when i go out to eat and what i cook at home.

rich people, what does caviar taste like and what else do you eat that you consider a rich mans meal?

truffle oil doesn't have truffle in it, but an aromatic compound that's like truffles. definitely try the real thing at least once- you'll probs spend $30 for a bite sized piece of food with a thin shaving - but you'll remember it and be able to make a decent judgment.

Personally i think truffle oil tastes okay.

tasteless and boring

this guy gets it

Truffle oil is the best popcorn topping desu

Rich people eat truffles, not shitty truffle oil.

>rich people, what does caviar taste like
fishy fish, and salt
If you like non-fishy fresh fish, you wouldn't like it. I think the attraction is that it pops on the tongue. Anyone can afford caviar though, just get some sushi and lick them off the sides. If you think you really like it, then work your way up in quality and type. The sturgeon, the black sea ancient dinosaur era fish that russians can...prolly gonna die soon, like the whales, because it's just not regulated enough. If the fishies are cut up and robbed of their eggs, and the price is nearly priceless, guess how long the practice will last. Sustainability, no one has a real clue. It's like sailfish or other big game fish...who knows the impact. It's not studied enough but it's damn popular. In other words....get it while it still exists.

why do the rich insist on eating the eggs of the unborn?

Rich people will only eat organic food, and grass fed meats, the ultra rich even have their own private farms and greenhouses.

If you're poor then enjoy your shitty soy oil abomination and severe inflammation

Just get some goldschlager if you want to know what gold tastes like.

I can tell you what it doesn't taste of
Truffels

This caviar does not even look good. Grains are tiny and half of them are squished = it was frozen on some point or simply over-salted.