Needs Veeky Forums help, Trying to buy my first smoker

Hey Veeky Forums

Ive been recently researching smokers because i want to purchase my first one to start making ribs, pork butts, chicken , duck , fish and jerky. Ive came across to options i want.

First would be the masterbuilt electric '40' inch front racker electric smoker while my other option would be getting a Traeger lil Jr electric/ pellet smoker. my question is which one would be a better investment and why?

Thanks Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0048HU34Y/?tag=outdoorlivinggear-20#customerReviews
amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Throw Grilla Silverbac on the list too.

Have you considered a UDS like the Pit Barrel Cooker?

What is your budget?

Are you completely set on an offset smoker?

If your budget is whatever you want I would suggest either a Pit Barrel Cooker (300 dollars shipped to your door in the US) or a Lang 36" offset (1200 not including shipping)

>not getting a green egg

Why electric? I know temp control is one of the hardest parts of learning to smoke meats, but it is one of those things you should learn.

This. Get an old school offset made of 1/4" steel. Depending on where you live, you might find some luck on CL.

Convenience. You aren't tied to the smoker for the entire process.

>Convenience
You could get a better smoker than any of what you listed for cheaper and a digital thermometer that connects to your cell phone and achieve the same thing without fear of your poorly made auger getting full of pellets and catching on fire.

Op Here

Iam willing to spend anywhere from 300-700 depending on what is the best investment. this would be my first smoker and i have no prior experience to smoking before this. I want either electric or electric/pellet smoker because i want convenience and i dont want to babysit this smoker while its cooking 2-14 hours. I want to be able to put a rack of ribs without constant monitoring while getting a decent smoke flavor.

Iam leaning towards pellet electric smoker because i want to get the best smoke flavor possible

>I want either electric or electric/pellet smoker because i want convenience and i dont want to babysit this smoker while its cooking 2-14 hours.
Dont bother trying to learn to use a smoker then you lazy ass.

> I want to be able to put a rack of ribs without constant monitoring while getting a decent smoke flavor.
Unless it is a UDS you wont, you will get merely okay flavor with an electric smoker and you will never get a smoke ring.
>Iam leaning towards pellet electric smoker because i want to get the best smoke flavor possible
See above lazy yankee.

The masterbuilt electric smokers are pretty decent. I've been thinking about getting one. A friend of mine has one, the stuff he's smoked in it comes out delicious.

Also, whatever you get don't get a smoker that uses shitty formed pellets. Get one that has a box you can use real wood chips in. The pellets are garbage.

eh , what do you suggest than m8?

I should add, all these cheap pellet smokers you listed have serious issues with their augurs getting stuck and full of pellets then burning the whole unit to worthless scrap metal. So really, given your budget and your want of "convenience" while smoking food, you have zero good options.

Given your want to set and forget it you are pretty much limited to either shitty pellet smokers which have a nasty tendency to catch on fire or a UDS like the Pit Barrel Cooker which is set and forget and you get decent meat out of it, better than a pellet smoker but not as good as a offset stick burner.

See:

thats what iam thinking too m8. I leaning towards buying this 40 inch Masterbuilt smoker and buying a cold smoke mod with it . Would this be a good investment over the Traeger jr elite, which uses pellets?

amazon.com/dp/B0048HU34Y/?tag=outdoorlivinggear-20#customerReviews

this Pit Barrel is GOAT

Whats wrong with the Traeger jr electric pellet smoker? traeger is an elite/professional brand apparently

>smoking meat is too labor intensive for me
>I am incapable of learning the ins and outs of smokers and instead I would prefer to have a digital readout do it for me while I never get a good crust, smoke ring or even flavor
>but at least its easy!
I fucking hate this board.

How goddamn hard is it to learn air control and look at a thermometer to make sure you coal bed doesnt get too low? It takes an hour to start a fire in most offsets then you dont have to do anything with it for another 5 hours if you have one that is good. Does that sound hard to you?

>Whats wrong with the Traeger jr electric pellet smoker? traeger is an elite/professional brand apparently
I said it twice already, their main augurs get stuck and catch on fire ruining the entire unit.

C'mon man go traditional stick burner or maybe a WSM. A glorified oven that adds slight smokiness is what you're going to be paying for with that electric garbage. Seriously, just use your oven and a outdoor Weber grill + wood chunks if that's the case.

>Seriously, just use your oven and a outdoor Weber grill + wood chunks if that's the case.
He has said multiple times already that what you suggested was too hard to do.

OP:
amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/

(and this is the guy that serious eats goes to for their smoker info)

i bought an Oklahomo Joe Highlander. It's cheaply made but after some mods i have it working nicely.

i debated the convenience of electric but i have to say my favorite part of smoking, is sitting in the backyard tending to the fire and drinking.

My parents have had a Traeger grill for years and never had any trouble with it.

Le bump on

>Grilla Silverbac
thats so fucking insensitive.Way too soon after Harambe's death for those jokes.

R.I.P. in peace big guy :_: