What is your opinion on Joseph McElroy? And what is the best place to start?

What is your opinion on Joseph McElroy? And what is the best place to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

dzancbooks.org/dzanc-reprint-series/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's a good chart I downloaded once hold on keep this thread alive for a few hours and I'll be able to post it
Basically start with Night Soul and other stories

McElroy is one of the best post-war writers. I recommend you start with The Lookout Cartridge or A Smuggler's Bible, and that you avoid Cannonball and Women and Men at all costs, since those are likely to turn you away from him.

>since those are likely to turn you away from him.
Why do you say that?

Thanks a lot!

>what is the best place to start?

W O M E N A N D M E N
O
M
E
N
&
M
E
N

why avoid womem and men. I wanted to start with that

Is there an infograph like this for william gaddis?

Nigga wrote 5 books. Read 'em, then read 'em again. Just don't start with JR.

pic related

imagine this text in a funky infograph: start with the recognitions

They are both weird and extremely difficult, so, unless you like that, I'd stay away from them.

Where does one acquire his work

why is it recommended to have read the recognitions before smugglers bible?

Why does JR look so small? Is it just the perspective? That thing's over 1000 pages, right?

Might just have thin pages.

I want to know this as well.

Joseph McElroy was heavily influenced by William Gaddis, so reading The Recognitions may help to understand it.

Jr sounds so hard. I wanna read it.

me too. i really wish dalkey would start printing it again so i don't have to pay scalper prices.

It's about 726 pages. The Recognitions is the one that's close to 1k. You might be mistaken with McElroy or Gass' books.

It's one of the most beautiful and rewarding books I've ever read. It's worth it.

I read about 100 pages of Women and Men once. It was completely different from anything I'd ever read. It had this narrative where McElroy would sort of involve you into the story, mainly by referencing to the main character, Jim Mayn, as "you". It would also simultaneously break away from the present into the future from Jim's perspective since he supposedly has the ability to see into the future. Along with that, foot long sentences from which your attention would somehow never waver.
Sufficed to say, it was fucking amazing, but sadly I had to leave it because of exams and when I came back to it I sort of lost track, but I'm planning on starting it again sometime soon.

This chart's pretty good, I haven't read Hind's Kidnap or Cannonball though.

It's really good but it's work. If you don't like his style you'll hate it, and if you try to read it as your first McElroy you probably won't finish it. I did what that chart is recommending (Night Soul and then Smuggler's Bible) and I was hooked, and knowing how good he is helped me push through the parts of W&M that weren't doing anything for me.

I haven't read any Gaddis and still greatly enjoyed Smuggler's Bible. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ebook soon?

dzancbooks.org/dzanc-reprint-series/

They're probably doing a printing next year

oh fuck

do we have an ETA for its e-book at least

I could not find it

Ebook should definitely be coming next spring, I don't think they've officially decided about a print run but they've been hinting pretty hard

Not sure how you feel about it but there's a pretty clean epub available already on your favorite shady website.