What are your thoughts on the term "foodie" and the attitude of being a "foodie" in general?

What are your thoughts on the term "foodie" and the attitude of being a "foodie" in general?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xP-aT2jpw-Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As a foodie, I'm skeptical of anyone who uses the term foodie.

Pretentious
Pretentious

I don't like the term. Same as someone saying they're a craft beer "enthusiast" or a wine connoisseur.

Just say you like X without giving yourself a pretentious title.

You can like good things without being a total twat.

I personally identify as both a gamer and a foodie. The two activities often coincide

>foodie
>furry

coincidence?

Yes

>having charcuterie and apéro means you are a foodie

Doesn't make sense to me. Saying you enjoy "good food" is like saying you "love to laugh" or some shit. Everybody likes good food.

"foodie" is american for "person who doesn't like kraft dinner that much but will eat it occasionally"

My hubby is a foodie.
Everything from artisan breads and colas to deconstructed burgers and desserts.
AMA.

I have no idea what a "foodie" is but I already want to slap the shit out of anyone who identifies themselves as such

How haven't you committed mariticide yet?

I'm not sure what that means?

If you can't appreciate shitty foods along with the golden artisinal avocado sriracha bacon cupcakes, you're not a foodie, you're just a hipster cunt.

>hubby

poorfags gonna poor

The term foodie is awful, and I have trouble with anyone who identifies as such. To me it's a pejorative term. But it exists because "gourmand" sounds a little pretentious in English. And we do need a term for people who take pleasure in food and are willing to go out of their way for better than average stuff. Especially in the US where the average standards are so low.

It's one of those things that varies by culture. An American who puts some effort into eating and drinking well is probably eating no better than the average Italian, Frenchman or Spaniard. Because those cultures have a level of being a gourmand built in. The only reason the term foodie exists is to denote someone who gives a shit about food quality in a culture that generally doesn't.

>You can like good things without being a total twat.
That's a matter of perspective. I agree with you, but I've met many people who consider the very act of liking good things (or even acknowledging that some things are better than others) to be twatlike and pretentious. There are people out there who see the very act of critical appreciation based on judgments about quality to be uppity. They will see any enthusiasm for good things as pretentious, because they don't believe anyone should be able to tell the difference between good and crap. Someone who grew up surrounded by such people and developed an appreciation for good foos regardless might unironically describe themselves as a "foodie" and be forgiven for doing so.

I have no problem with the idea that some foods are better than other foods, or that some people have better taste than other people

However, food-based reality television has bred a generation of fucktarded people who have strong, uninformed opinions about food. I have a big problem with people who think they know everything, but have barely eaten food outside their flyover bubbles. No, cleetus, just because you had a terrible "authentic" pizza that was neither authentic nor good doesn't mean authenticity is a scam, I don't care how many episodes of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives you've watched. It doesn't make you an expert on food.

>food-based reality television has bred a generation of fucktarded people who have strong, uninformed opinions about food.
I'm OK with this, actually, because it still represents an improvement. I have no issue with people going out of their way for something better even if they hold poorly informed strong opinions. That's still better than thinking good eating gets no better than a poor quality steak with A-1 sauce or a grilled cheese sandwich served alongside a bowl of sweet canned tomato soup. Food culture varies a lot, which means different people are going to have different standards. Cletus isn't going to understand the point of a Neapolitan pizza because where he comes from pizza means packing as much cheese and greasy meat toppings as possible onto bread and having someone with a high school education deliver it to him in a beat up Honda for cheap.

To me that sounds awful, but if that's how low the standards are where he lives ANY desire for better is laudable.

>eating olives with gay ass crackers and the wrong type of cheese

white people smhtbqh

The angles of those hands is triggering me
It suggests that the people do not know one another and are uncomfortable getting close together, but are still so hungry and desperate for food that they are willing to briefly endure the intense social discomfort of standing at the cheese table for long enough to hog up on snacks while pretending that they aren't invading each other's personal space

the world would be a better place if anyone who had unironically used it suddenly died

>the flyover boogeyman is after me!
>everyone in my densely packed urban cities is incredibly erudite about food

>Everybody likes good food.

I so wish this were true. Sadly the state of affairs in western society proves that this is not the case.

This. There of plenty of people who "like good food" yet go their entire lives without ever tasting anything that would qualify as such. It's not like you're going to find much of it at a chain restaurant or a supermarket.

This. There are people with shitty palates everywhere. In Silicon Valley where plenty of good restaurants exist the Soylent meme is strong as fuck and autists are just forgoing food altogether.

In my area there are cleetus types who think Red Lobster is gourmet, but there is also a strong Farmer's Market culture where local farms sell their own meat and produce unpretentiously because thats how we always did things.

The problem is when you try to expect gourmet from cuisines outside your locality. My "flyover" area is great for smoked meats and dry aged beef.

?

I feel people are dumb when they try to identify as something that literally everyone does. Same reason I dislike gamer. It's like identifying yourself as a breather or a sleeper.

not him, but I'm pretty sure it means to kill your gay lover.

>AMA

fuck back off to reddit

A "foodie" is someone from youtube, a blog or instagram, anybody who declares himself as a "foodie" is a cunt, not for liking food, but for using a such a cute word. Like hubby, wifey etc.
Also most selfdeclared "foodies" ive met seem to think that a proper "foodie" needs to love every shitty thing served to them as long as its just out of the norm. My god im on holiday in china right now and, without even visiting the real bad tourist things like nightmarkets, i have seen countless "foodies" eating boiled pork tripe on a stick without a sauce (or something equally unexciting) and "loving it"
>take 10 pictures
>yummy

There are people who love and seek out good food, and there are foodies, for whom everything is just about how other people will react to their instagram accounts

I feel like everything I do is under a microscope. If I eat at a 5 star restaurant or just at a shopping malls food court I have people staring at me watching how I eat. I'm not allowed to just buy 2 burritos and pig out and leave, 2 burritos is too many. And God forbid that I should order KFC or McDonalds! My choices of food are judged as well. If I don't buy the right food at a grocery store or if I spend too long in the store choosing my food then I am watched from a security camera and all the people I pass including the workers who ask if I need help with anything because I'm not going 10 kilometers an hour speed walking while shopping through the store. Then I have to be focused on my posture and how I walk as well as every other little thing. I AM A HUMAN, I HAVE THE RIGHT TO EXIST, GO FUCK YOURSELVES! This modern world is horrible and needs to be purged.

This is you, isn't it
youtube.com/watch?v=xP-aT2jpw-Q

term invented by white women with blogs

it's so stupid. everybody likes food.