How was the reader supposed to figure out that Anselm castrated himself?

How was the reader supposed to figure out that Anselm castrated himself?

I have no idea if anyone gets that without the summary.

Thought as much. Gaddis wasn't kidding when he said that he requires a lot from his readers.

What did you guys think of the characters in general? I felt like they all were a bunch of assholes that hated each other. Stanley and Wyatt not included.

He's crushing orchids beneath his foot during the party. He pretends to be a dog at points in the novel. He's a kiddy diddler.

Is there a chart for Gaddis? Im curious about the easiest order in which to read him. So far I've only read Agapē Agape and it was easy enough

It doesn't really make sense to start with Agape Agape since it's sort of a late-in-life culmination of his themes.

People typically start with The Recognitions since it was his first novel and arguably his best.

At what point in the novel does this happen? I read it a few years ago but I don't remember this. I had largely stopped using the notes pretty early in the book, though.

it just seemed a lot easier at the time since there's only one character and the themes are being monologued by him but i see what you're saying. i can reread it later anyway since it's pretty brief

One of the last chapters. The one with Esthers christmas party. I think the act is what ends the chapter.

It's the end of the Christmas party. He runs into his mom at the subway station and goes to the bathroom to use the razor blade he's been looking for all night and the only thing said about it is something about his deft hand

Thanks. This is the first time in ages I've actually gotten proper literary insight from this place.

Can you explain more why crushing orchids and pretending to be a dog imply he diddles kids?

Pretending to be a dog doesn't, but people make jokes throughout that they wouldn't trust him to watch their kids and he takes it really personally.

That seems like a huge stretch to me. Maybe you were just joking; it's hard to tell here.

And the orchids?

Has anyone here read all of Gaddis' works? How would you rank them?

Nah it's constantly referenced because he babysat someone's kid. The joke in the novel is that no one can tell if he's joking but from his other issues and final castration its certainly believable

I didn't say anything about the orchids I'm i'm not sure what that user was on about

I've read all of his works, as well as The Rush... (I'm btw). Each of his works are amazing in their scope, technique and erudition. R, JR and CG are all masterpieces of the highest order. Frolic is just as good, but it sounded a bit weird to me when I read it. I've never warmed up to AA, but maybe that's just me.

PS He's also really funny, man. Like, he knows that he's asking a lot from his reader, but he also knows he needs to give us a chuckle every once in a while. (In JR's case, there's a laugh on almost every page.)

Not what I meant. Those were all examples leading to why he would be castrating himself

"Orchid" comes from the Greek "orchis" which means testicle, due to the way the roots are shaped.

He crushes orchids - he smashes testicles.
He pretends to be a dog - dogs get neutered.
He diddles kids - he's aware of his lust.

He also projects his sex obsessions onto everyone else. See almost everything he does to Stanley.

He was a real dick to Stanley but he was right about Esme.

That makes a lot more sense and is pretty interesting, whereas my reading of your comment made you seem insane. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

>the critic would rather have a woman watch him masturbate than having sex

that's some on the nose poetry if i may say so myself