ITT: post the genre of the novel/story you're working on...

ITT: post the genre of the novel/story you're working on, then tell everyone why it's different to everything else out there.

Genre: Fantasy/Comedy
Hook: The story is told by an idiotic narrator, who frequently interjects with anecdotes and footnotes that tell a second story throughout

That sounds like it could be interesting. You have any inspiration in particular? I feel like Catch 22 could help you out.

As for me:
Genre: Fiction/Realism
Difference: it's basically about a trip to Europe I took with some friends and a search for identity. Self-critiquing and all that. But I also bring in modern themes of globalism, social media, and other issues facing my generation, I'm 25 btw. I was kind of inspired by Hemingways The Sun Also Rises btw

Genre: Fiction
Hook: A man can't stop eating only cornflakes. He meets a dairy farmer that tries to convince him to try something else, like silverside beef.

Sounds cool but not very unique tbqh family, I feel like everyone here is writing something like that

That's just the hitchiker's guide to the galaxy in middle earth.

Yeah I know. Real life is pretty important though I think. And also I believe that the message that you try to actually convey through the novel is the most important thing. The reality is that all of humanity is a repeat at one level or another, a lost kid in the 1500's is extremely similar to a lost kid in the 2000's but it's the details, presentation and ways we now go about dealing with it that are different. In my mind, that's what legitimizes it a bit more for me. Every generation needs shit like this, and actually I focus a lot on globalization, which is obviously something new, given my heritage. I'm first generation European American, but my father was born in Latin America, so the question of identity in light of those details is a bit harder to answer, which ties into what I said before.

I personally think that the search for a truly original story is extremely difficult, if not impossible. It's the way these constant themes of humanity come up in every new generation and the ways we go about dealing with them in these new circumstances that help us define who we are. That's what's most important to me now if that makes any sense.

Also, if you really want to try to make something totally original I feel like you have to leave the realm of realism to begin with and do some crazy fantasy stuff, which could also be claimed to be unoriginal as well. Maybe I am just rambling now but I hope I made some sense there. Good luck with your writing guys

Black comedy. In a way it's Bohemian Rhapsody in story form.

i dont know the genre, realism i guess

its like east of eden but with schizophrenia and artistic vanity

Is search for immortality really played out?
I'm not really interested in doing something too unique.

Nice blog post but i get what you mean, the beauty of literature is that even the most starkly original works harp on timeless and endlessly recurring themes

That sounds an awful lot like Pale Fire, user.

is it inevitable that, since the development of human self-awareness (that morphed into religious fables(which morphed into the greek classics)) that the human psyche has always had a finite amount of moral and thematic potential?

Genre: Scifi/Fantasy
Hook: main character is a sexually repressed female who cucks a shota despite wanting to fuck his brains out. Kid grows up to be basically Sephiroth with a guro fetish

I know it sounds fucked but I've been told the prose style is decent.

is autism the next major literary movement?

I mean the increasingly disconnection between the individual and society

I wouldn't mind it if that happens

I've always had a thing about writing a borderline-autist protagonist, although their issues usually stem from some sort of emotional trauma.

plz respond

Yeah. I think that human beings have a collective ego based on our self comparison to animals or something that makes us think we're so much above the repetition of the rest of nature. We're not all that special, either the individual or the collective society. Circumstances may change, but they are all really just details. We always need the same essentials thoughout history to be happy, all the same ills still plague us (most of which come from our own imperfections) and like I said it's the details of the time period of our existence that force us to define ourselves within it.

House of Leaves already did that.

the simpsons already did that

Not sure yet, my protagonist is a paradoxical being that was sent to a different dimension as an exile for being an anomaly. He's just exploring a planet with different cultures at the moment.

Fuck off back to the reddit, my man

Nice Homestuck clone.

Fantasy. It's unique because when you boil it down to its base themes, it's a battle over whether to accept the fact that you're retarded and base how you live and act around that fact or struggle to meet normal societal standards.

Comes straight from the heart, it does.

Genre: Fictionalized Memoir

Hook: Native American upbringing. Our faults. Our own death spiral. And the insights given to me by the Jungians.

Genre: Fantasy
Hook: Berkeley's subjective idealism, but with a pantheistic twist and the disavowed brute matter existing as phenomena hidden from gods, but visible to man

I've seen you posting in other threads about this. Your idea is actually pretty interesting, I'd like to see bits of this if you ever get some headway.

Never read that shit, anyways, there's just mortals with advanced technology. I plan to delve deeper into that than whatever powers the protagonist has.

I don't know what I should consider more retarded, the fact that including interdimensional travel automatically made it an exact copy of something else or me believing a random autist from lit.

Genre: Science Fiction (technically)
Hook: Twelve unrelated vignettes of Americans waking to the news of imminent nuclear holocaust. We follow each of them as they decide how to spend their last 30 minutes alive.

Do you want it to come off like short stories or is there nothing at all that might link them?
Just curious

You should re read my post when I said its in a way like Bohemian Rhapsody. It can be interpreted in another way. It's not a complete rip off of the song, it mentions it. There's more to my idea than that. My idea is very interesting but I dont want to share it here in case of plagiarism until I have significant parts of my book written.

And that's the case with good ideas right? They can have multiple interpretations. Just because I name one and by chance happens to be reddit related doesnt mean the whole thing is shite. Seriously. I don't get your problem man.

How is it like bohemian rhapsody? I don't really get the concept

A teen destroys the life of a man which would make his mother sad. He doesnt kill him, but he ends his life in a way. He's involved with religion so some people think there's a devil set aside for him. There's more but that's telling.

More has to to with Let him go, spare him of his life and his monstrosity. He is locked up in one sense because of what he's done.

It can be considered a telling of another famous song as well. But I'm saying too much.

That hook sounds like my life, you go girl.

Genre/Fiction/Horror/Vampire

Difference: Its read by two different narrators. A missionaire Johnathan Hopkins and family member Harriet. A man dies in Bowling Green, Kentucky from a sudden illness Pastor Edmund cant explain and comes back to life the same weekend the new family moves into the home. The vampire Michael Smith is 25 and as he was returning to his home at night he stops by Emily (Harriets sister). He begins to obsess, and they begin to catch eye. Until the family finds.

P.S. its not much of romance. But its more of a horror novel. Its has tragedy, and death.

The work as a whole is about the many kinds of revelation but no, they're largely going to read like short stories. They're thematically connected, but that's it.

Genre: Fiction
Hook: A woman saves a man's life, and he follows her by a trail of good deeds, each having the same distinction that no one remembers her having done anything at all except him, who wants only to thank her for saving his life.

Do you intend to have it published? I think it sounds interesting, but by and large the reading public might want a sort of culmination

My name is Earl

Genre: L I T E R A R Y
Hook: I cant write things longer than 600 words so i pretend all the fragments are linked

>Genre
Fiction

>Catch
Follows 3 main characters. An aboriginal man on a pilgrimage who gets swept into a modern war and who's POV offers mythological and amoral perspective.
The second is lead scientist with a hidden alternate identity which peeks through her POV ocassionally.
The last is a member of the force opposing the authority over the team of scientists who is sent to spy on them by infiltrating the group and destroying it from within. But actually has no intention and means to work with them until the end, helping them.

Once I get it finished I may look into publishing. I worry that trying to tie everything together under some large thematic center would be a bit on the nose. I largely want people to pull their own meaning from the work rather than have me spoonfeed it to them.

Genre: Cyberpunk/Comedy

Hook: A Germaphobe wakes up in a BDSM dungeon, faced with a dominatrix planning to smother him in feces and vomit. In order to avoid this horror, our central character will try to appeal to this unhygienic mistress through a series of stories, hoping she will spare his weak immune system from the fecal onslaught...

Hi Earl

Very marquis de Sade, I like it

I don't know what kind of genre it is.

But basically it's a first person view of someone who goes insane, their last day alive, and as the day goes on his mind becomes unhinged, growing less structered and logical and devolving into a more phonetic, musical and textured thoughts, almost like a prosepoem.

Literally One Thousand and one nights, c'mon dude

Pretty sure there was no fecal dominatrix in that one ya kunt.

Genre: Sci-fi
Hook: Main character is 600 years old and chronicles his lonely existence as he rebuilds a post human Earth.

>genre
Pssshht...