I'm considering going back to college and double majoring in Classics and Philosophy. Is this a good idea, Veeky Forums?

I'm considering going back to college and double majoring in Classics and Philosophy. Is this a good idea, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IANd9Ieii1Q
salon.com/2015/12/20/sixteen_years_in_academia_made_me_an_a_hole/>“Oh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only if you're independently wealthy and don't need to work for the rest of your life.

Do itttttttt

probably not

if you can't even read the books by yourself and need propagandist academia to "teach" you than what do you expect to get out of it , you edgy sage?

If you have to ask the opinion of anonymous strangers, probably not

youtube.com/watch?v=IANd9Ieii1Q

In a similar boat currently actually. As a teenager I loved reading Philosophy. I devoured Nietzsche, Camus, Dostoevsky, Popper, Aristotle etc. etc. but when I finished school I decided to study physics because I fell for the "better do something objectively useful" meme and also because I felt that it would somehow validate me intellectually.

I have no finished my Bachelors and am in the first semester of my Masters and I'm hating it. I hated it from the start, pulled through but now I still hate it and the idea of enduring this for even another week seems so insanely insufferable to me that I've been honestly thinking about saying "fuck it" and studying Philosophy in tandem with something else. I very much enjoy programming, so maybe that, although I would also like some insights into the politics of our modern world.

Anyway, what do you all think? Any input on this matter?

I would suggest you get through the masters. Look towards getting a qualification or doing something in philosophy to get you through.

Philosophy departments tend to be very tribal on the whole, my hunch is you'd be disillusioned with most tho there are options to do things like cross discipline research. So it may be worth looking for research in computer science and working out a philosophy related thesis. There's definitely room for it.

Completing your physics masters can only help with this tho.

Sounds fun as fuck. Perhaps a financial risk.

hard to say

consider the career paths following your masters. doing something you dislike for 2 more years so you can get a job you do like doesn't sound too bad.

that dreams deader than shit, you meet too many dilettantes in college alone

There are so many options out there now. Guy could do a degree mostly distance or work towards a uol international degree or something.

Not OP but I think he likes the idea of having a piece of paper that says he "studied" so he can feel good about himself temporarily before he gets a job in retail like the rest of us.

Haven't we a thread about this up right now?

Your answers overlap a lot with most of the advice I've been getting from other sources.
My main caveat is that I feel like I am losing an interal part of who I am by studying Physics. Physics, maybe the natural sciences as a whole, seem to be insanely energy draining to me. For the past three years I have barely read any non science books and I can count my creative thoughts during this time period on one hand whereas I used to write and read like a madman before. All I do now is play videogames in my spare time because I lack the energy and drive to actually challenge myself after university work.

What exactly do you mean by the Philo departments being tribal? Could you elaborate?

why? just go to a library. or if you're really keen on going to college, then just go sit in on the lectures, nobody will check if you're actually a student unless the class size is really small, in which case just tell the prof. you're auditing the class.

school is expensive, and unless you are rich as someone else put forth, or have law school aspirations or something of that nature, don't put yourself into debt for a piece of paper and the false prestige that comes with it.

/thread

It's this sort of thing:

salon.com/2015/12/20/sixteen_years_in_academia_made_me_an_a_hole/>“Oh my god, have you read so-and-so’s book? It’s terrible. She doesn’t understand Deleuze at all. I can’t believe Harvard published her!”

I mean maybe they didn't understand Deleuze at all, but more likely the person's view of Deleuze is The Absolute Truth and oh no! Someone Is Disagreeing and is therefore an idiot. So what tends to happen is a kind of indoctrination where you have to agree to a certain view that nobody else agrees with outside your department at your one university. It's not always the case, but it's the case often enough that it's a minefield out there.

What I found in the UK that the people who do the best at phd level tended to be very very narrowly focused (you will have read at high school more broadly quite easily), they tended to almost passively bend themselves to the whim of whatever studentships were about and got more excited about things like outreach or networking or w/e. People who went cross discipline had better funding opportunities and were a lot less bothered about their supervisors ideologies from what I could see.

Anyway, have you considered starting a blog? Pick some over arching theme (reading through Popper and writing your thoughts would probably fit your current situation. At worst no one else reads it and you get better insight into philosophy and physics, maybe you work out a thesis maybe you use it as a springboard for talking to others in the field of philosophy, who knows. But it's something outside of your current degree.

To me you sound stressed, I really wouldn't worry about a masters degree breaking you or whatever. You're not going to turn into a robot quite like that.

Ah, I see. To some extent the natural sciences have similar issues as well. Backstabbing and badmouthing all around. In regards to that I am fairly disillusioned already.

I would most definitely go cross discipline. I am thankful for all the interesting things I learned about our physical world during my studies and this knowledge will obviously have a lasting impact on me.

The blog idea is very good and I will put some thoughts into that. Maybe I will use it as a kind of "thought diary". Thank you.

Get a degree in computer science then a degree in marine technology. Become a seaman on the Great Lakes and write novels and poems and read philosophy and ponder meaning. It's what I'm working towards anyway.

The link doesn't work.

I can get that philosophy degree won't get you jobs, but what about English Lit? Is really majoring in it is as bad as philosophy?

worked for me. Be sure to include the meme arrow at the end.

Who knew that Lucius Malfoy was actually bae?

I feel that guy already had the incipient seeds of faggotry within him to begin with

Is it a good idea for me to go back to University as a part-time student to study Philosophy from scratch? I regret focusing all my energies on sciences in the past. I wish I had received a more well-rounded education.

I already have an okay-paying job (Pharmacist). I am able to negotiate flexible schedules under my contract and have small sum of money saved to last me at least a year.

>Become a seaman
>become seaman
>become semen

ya ok faggot

No

I'm just coming to my roots.

I have a degree in Classics. As far as finding a job it's not going to help you, but even 'useful' degrees are a lot less useful than people realize. I loved majoring in it. Having an expert Latinist help you read the Aeneid is a once in a lift time experience. I am glad I did it.

I used to do this often (sneaking into lectures). I lived near a good university, and I was always unnoticed when I was in school so it was pretty easy. I looked up course listings online and usually could find the professors syllabuses and schedules. Other times I would just walk through the hallways and write down professors schedules that they had on their doors. Ghosted philosophy lectures by William Gass this way.

Philosophy is there better off the two for jobs lol

no