Do contact grills do anything else or are they unitasker meat irons?

Do contact grills do anything else or are they unitasker meat irons?

You can take a dump on it and have hot, fresh shit for dinner.

>>>/global/rules/6

>unitasker meat irons
thanks for naming my new metal band OP

They're electrically heated direct contact cooking grates. They are what they are.

Personally, I'd prefer a cast iron on a stove, but sometimes you're between housing or have to use these stopgap measures to cook. Also can be used as a panini press.

>unitasker
this meme needs more time to truly blossom

Oh no, I've been moderated

Good one, reddit

On the one hand I agree, on the other I really really don't want this to become reddit.

>Do contact grills do anything else or are they unitasker meat irons?

Is heat a flavor?

Do things taste different if you cook the same meat on an electric stove, contact grill, gas stove stop, charcoal grill, toaster oven vs propane?

I know, and I'm sure everyone else here knows that microwaves are just pure shit, but has anyone ever put the other methods to the test?

Well, I'll cherrypick the charcoal grill. That gives you the flavor of the smoke. But it all comes down to the maillard reaction, or browning in English. I've never tested thoroughly, but I assume there is absolutely zero browning in the microwave. With a cast iron you will have the most contact, but depending on the meat it may leak liquid and steam, hence why grills with their open grates and direct heat are sometimes preferred.

The difference between electric and gas is a side note, however. Temperature control (gas is instant, but coils have to take a while to heat up or cool down), or getting a higher temperature a la natural gas are the major proponents of that argument.

>Well, I'll cherrypick the charcoal grill

I saw this coming. Yeah, I think it does taste different. There's an episode of King of the Hill about this were it pretty much destroys Hank's universe.

Also I forgot about those magnetic induction stovetops. I have never seen one in person but in the '60s it's what everyone thought people would be cooking with today because it was cool to the touch but only hot in the pot or something like that.

>panini press (esp grilled cheese)
>hashbrown patties
>grill potstickers (wrap a row in foil)
>grill veggies
>quesadillas
>grilled frozen burritos/chimichangas

Have had house full of people and have large (5 hamburger) contact grill.
>6 frozen hashbrown patties on grill
whip out double burner griddle
>make stack of pancakes on griddle while hashbrowns cook themselves
>remove hashbrowns from grill
>put bacon on grill
>do eggs to order on griddle while bacon grills
>remove bacon, finish eggs
>clean grill by making toast on it
breakfast for 6 started and eaten within an hour.

>layer on the cheese
>grill 'till it's brown and crispy
>cut long every second or third line
>dipping sticks
great with hummus

only libs and jews eat hummus

I have gotten stouffers mac and cheese to brown in the microwave. I guess just from being so hot. It is possible but it's just not the same with real food in a microwave I don't think.

I legitimately feel sorry for people who avoid something as tasty as hummus because of memes and hipsters.

I don't like the unitasker meme. It's a unitasker. It can only be used to make fun of unitaskers.

These are actually some pretty quality suggestions. It'd be a great way to make sure frozen burritos are heated through, I always get surprise ice-cold spots in the microwave or oven and that makes it such a horrendously bad experience to eat.

I made a huge batch from a cup of dried chickpeas last week and ate it with pita chips and pretzels for days.

It's vegetarian, protein-rich and fiber-rich, cheap as all hell and is a great healthy snack.

Give me a reasonable argument against it without resorting to /pol/.

>>grill potstickers (wrap a row in foil)

You beautiful bastard. Why has no one ever told me about this before?

I have never had hummus that I wanted a second taste of. I've forced myself against my better judgement to try it a dozen or so times to see if I could develop a taste for it, but it's fucking horrible no matter what brand I buy, what recipe I follow, or even when someone makes their grandmas-secret-recipe-everyone-raves-about-it-every-time-hummus. It's pure shit.

Well, there's not really that much variation in the way you make hummus. If you don't like hummus, a little more or less olive oil/lemon juice/garlic is unlikely to make or break the experience for you.

I don't think it's excellent in the taste category, and I'd be a little dubious if someone thought it was. It's just for what it is -- simple and cheap, few longlasting ingredients -- it's a pretty good deal.

I don't really get why the foil is necessary? To prevent sticking and to steam it? Are most potsticker skins so thin that they'll get squished otherwise?

A couple of minutes in a george foreman grill turns pita bread from an okay food to 10/10 oh my god my mouth is cumming

I kind of agree. I don't think it's disgusting, but it's a pretty pointless food. I do not care for the taste and I hate the texture so there's not much reason for me to eat it.

Hummus is the most shrugcore of foods, even more so than celery stalks.

wew lad, it's like 2005 all over again

They make really good grilled cheeses and hot dogs. I would not recommend cooking raw meat on them though because it always turns out shit.

Refried beans taste better, but that's my geographical bias.