Kettle

Do you have an electric kettle?
If not -- why not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes, because I'm Australian and everyone in Australia has one. I use it daily. It boggled me when I learnt it's a weird thing to have in the US.

In burgerland they don't work as well BC we use lower voltage

I work at a hotel in the US.
A Brit guest left one behind when he checked out and nobody else working could figure out what it was. My coworker thought it was a coffee maker, like Keurig.

Guest didn't care so I took it home but I have never used it before, I still use the microwave or stovetop to heat water for teas.

>microwave for heating water
That's one of the weirdest things I've heard

Finally, and explanation that actually makes sense.

Every house in the UK has one of them, I thought it was a meme on here at first when you read about someone heating water in a microwave or on a cooker instead.

second, you would be weird here if you didn't have one here

The hot cocoa directions recommended this method, has worked fine ever since.

Surely it'd be up to the wattage though, not the voltage?

I think the fact they don't drink much tea and they drink drip coffee which is ostensibly a kettle itself is probably a better answer.

you drink electricity then

Its a

~~combination of factors~~

THIS IS A LIE.

i have a steel stove top kettle because i don't like cooking with plastic

You can get metal electric kettles.

maybe one day

mine works fine for now

How would a vacuum cleaner work in the US then?
A vacuum cleaner uses at least as much power as an electric kettle.
It's not voltage, but power that counts.

No.
I thought I was a jeenius and boiled milk in mine and destroyed it.
There was a thread about it last week.

And it is easier to deliver power efficiently to water at 240v as opposed to 110. It takes about twice as long to boil water in American electric kettles. Plenty of articles on the subject, Google it if you must

How the fuck can anyone exist without an electric kettle?

>Americans
>Cleaning their houses
Why do you thing they wear shoes indoors?

>How would a vacuum cleaner work in the US then?

Same as they work anywhere else. An electric kettle uses much more energy than a vacuum cleaner does.

>It's not voltage, but power that counts.

Indeed. But because both countries have the same amp capacity circuit breaker, that means the UK version can be up to twice as powerful.
US: 120 Volts x 15 amp breaker = 1800 watts max before the breaker trips.

UK: 240 V x 15 amp = 3600 watts max.

You can easily confirm this with Google. Look at US models of electric kettles. They're around 1200 watts on average. Now look at UK models: they're often above 2000 watts.

bullshit...im one of a few americans that has one. It takes the same amount of time you dumb fucks

don't forget. It doesnt take much energy to make water boil... 100C...we have electric induction cookers that far exceed that

Completely pointless unitasker if you don't drink tea 10 times a day or you're not living in a dorm and eating ramen for every meal.

not pointless at all. Your just another one of the americans we are ashamed of

>Completely pointless unitasker
You know what an oxymoron is?

>don't forget. It doesnt take much energy to make water boil.

Actually that's wrong. Water has one of the highest specific heat capacities of common materials. It takes quite a lot of energy to heat water compared to other common materials.

>>.. 100C...
that's a temperature, not an amount of energy. You do know the difference between power and energy, right?

Do you know what a unitasker is?

Do we really have to explain to your dumb ass that the term "pointless unitasker" is an oxymoron, because clearly the "unitasker" does indeed have a point--the "task" it is meant to perform.

either it's pointless or it's a unitasker. But it can't be both.

Electric kettles are a must have here in Russia, massive tea culture. Never knew that Americans don't use them.

Do Clapistani hotel rooms have kettles? I have never stayed somewhere that doesn't supply a kettle for tea/coffee. I would complain if the room didn't have one.

Yup. Being able to boil water quickly is completely pointless. I can't think of any situation where that would be useful.

Murrican here. Why not just put water in a regular kettle and heat it up on the stove?
Do electric kettles take less time or something?

Okay, I guess you don't understand why "unitasker" is a derogatory term...

A unitasker is a tool that does exactly one thing, in this case boil water, that other tools that can accomplish many other tasks can also do. Hence it is redundant, and therefore pointless. If you own a stove, a hot plate, or even a microwave, there is literally no point in buying an electric kettle.

>Do Clapistani hotel rooms have kettles?

I travel on business pretty often and I rarely see them. However, they do usually have a coffee maker provided, with coffee as well as tea. If you want hot water for tea you just operate the coffee maker without putting any coffee in it.

There isn't much of a tea culture in the US, unless you count the US south and it's super-sugary "sweet tea". That's a cold drink.

I would like one for coffee but finding one that is all metal and not ass expensive is s pain.

>Hence it is redundant

Oh, I get that 100%.

>>pointless
No, it has a point. Boiling water.

The reason why people choose to buy electric kettles is because it's faster and less effort than using the alternatives. Sort of like using a toaster instead of using your oven or range to make toast, or a rice cooker instead of cooking your rice in a pot.

>do electric kettles take less time or something

Marginally, but apparently Bongs are too stupid to set a timer 2 minutes before tea time and use a regular kettle on the stove top.

Yes.
It has a purpose.
Therefore, it is not pointless.
You are educationally sub-normal.
Goodbye.

They have those coffee pots you can boil water in. Most offices I work at now have hot water dispensers and/or Keurigs which also have that feature. But I work with a lot of Asians and Russians (IT dept) so we might be a bit different.

>Do you have an electric kettle?

Not yet, but I plan on buying one of these very soon. It seems very versatile and worth the investment.

Just using good ol' stove top kettle for now.

Yes as well as the kind that goes on the stove. Most of Canada and the US is like this.

On 120v they both boil water at pretty much the same rate. Or close enough that it doesn't matter to me but I guess the UK can't wait an extra 15 seconds for hot water.

Just because you CAN pull 3600 watts from a socket doesn't mean your made in China kettle will necessarily draw that much.

I guess you guys got powerful kettles going for you, which is nice. I know you don't get to brag about a lot of things.

Many people in America have an instant hot water tap built into their kitchen sink.

No real point having a kettle then if the coffee machine can just boil the water on the off chance someone isn't drinking coffee. I had never thought of using a coffee machine that way before.

yeah I got one but I don't use it. There's never any need for it

>i can't think of any situation where that would be useful

List a few of those situations. (If we were talking about large amounts of water it would be a different story.)

American here, I keep a glass electric kettle and a Keurig on my desk. I have a large selection of teas and coffees in my desk.

I don't drink Soda
I don't drink beer
I don't drink pop
or any of these here
I drink floride

boiling water =/= hot tap water.

We know. Look more carefully at the picture. It's not the main faucet, it's a separate one plumbed into a small flash heater. It does produce boiling water.

It's exactly the same as an electric kettle, just built in.

...and instant.

>britcucks are so retarded that they spend extra money on a water boiling machine
I have a steel stove top kettle that was $30, and even that is an unnecessary luxury. You guys know you can just boil water in a small pot right?

>marginally
Actually I guess (yes, only guess) that boiling one liter of water in the electric kettle is done about in 1/3 or even 1/4 of the time it takes to boil it on an electric stove in a metallic pot.

>$30, and
You never preface the word "and" with a comma.
Retard.

>like using a toaster instead of using your oven or range to make toast, or a rice cooker instead of cooking your rice in a pot

A rice cooker makes perfect rice every time at the push of a button. Boiled water is literally boiled water, so all you're doing is saving maybe two minutes.

A toaster is useful because you don't need to add fat to do it like you do on the stove or waste a bunch of energy heating up your oven just to make a piece of toast.

Which is not fit for consumption.

Where do you get the water from that put in your electric kettle, dumbshit?

Don't need it when I can get a instant hot water from my purifier.

Evian.
You don't drink tap water do you, you fucking plebeian?

Sure you can--for two different reasons.

1) Using the comma to indicate a short pause, which is exactly what did, and what I am doing right now.

2) In the context of a list:
>>Chef John began cramming the produce into his colon. The rutabaga went first. It was soon followed by the turnip, cucumber, and the kiwano.

nigs, you don't know shit about electrical power.

Amperage is fixed by the fuse or breaker, and voltage is fixed by the electrical supplier.

If you run the same amperage (13 amps is common for most UK electricals), but reduce the voltage, you reduce the power (watts)

With a 13 amp, 240v UK supply you can draw just over 3kw.
With a yankie cuckold 120v supply you can draw 1.5 kw on the same amperage.

I like your reasoning there. But, I want to add that a toaster-oven is an even more useful piece of equipment. Bigger, but, like with not wanting to heat up an oven for toast, you can also ignore pre-heating for frozen nuggets, corn dogs, whatever. Also, day-after pizza is better than when microwaved.

who the fuck makes tea from the hot tap?
Disgusting

>Our induction cookers far exceed 100 degree celcius.

You what?

>nigs, you don't know shit about electrical power.
>*nips
They definitely know shit about nuclear power, they learned the hard way I guess.
:^)

>britcuck education
No wonder you guys waste money on water boilers over there.

>not having a two stage filtration system
>not having a reverse osmosis system with UV as well
>not flushing your toilets with water that's cleaner than most bottled water
Plebeian indeed

No idea where you live, and no idea where the other guy is from...
But here in Germany tap water is actually more regulated and cleaner than any bottled water you can buy.
If it is not perfect, then it is because of the pipes in your own house.
Otherwise tap water here is cleaner and better than any you can buy for 10 times the price. I ONLY drink tap water. Bottled water only when I want it sparkling.
Bottled water is for plebs, especially in plastic bottles.

>3rd worlders think all water faucets in America spew the disease ridden sludge that they get in their country
AMERICA WINS AGAIN

Why do you even care?
You wouldn't be.....Jealous would you?

>But here in Germany tap water is actually more regulated and cleaner than any bottled water you can buy.

Same is true in the US. The safety standards for tap water are much more stringent than the standards that apply to a bottled beverage.

Though that said, it's typical practice to use cold water to cook with. The reason you use cold and hot hot water has nothing to do with the safety of the water itself. Rather it has to do with the taste. Hot water leaches minerals from the pipes between the water heater and the faucet. The water heater also tends to accumulate scale and mineral deposits inside it which can also make food taste off. So standard practice is to fill up your coffeemaker, stock pot, whatever, from the cold tap rather than the hot tap.

But all of this is besides the point, because the system pictured in is not the normal hot tap. It's a separate water boiler that dispenses boiling hot water, just like from a kettle. Look carefully at the pic. It's a standalone 2nd faucet, not the main "hot tap".

>AMERICA WINS AGAIN
t. vietnam

It depends on your pipes. If you have an older pre-war infrastructure (which is common out east) drinking hot water from those pipes are not a good idea.

Do you have brain damage? You know we can buy electric kettles here, don't you? They are just a waste of both money and space.

burger here, I have a shitty one but want a glass one with variable temperature for my oolong. Would be much better than using my kitchen thermometer.

and a coffee percolator is a totally reasonable item to have?

The electric toaster, waffle iron, microwave, rice cooker, crook pot, kitchen aid, food processor, blender.... all are also just a waste of money and space.

We don't live in shoeboxes and actually have storage space, also all that shit costs under a grand.

Also bitches don't know 'bout my 20 amp receptacles.

MYTH BUSTED

>and a coffee percolator is a totally reasonable item to have?

For the average American? Yes. Most of us drink shitty drip coffee, and most of us do not drink tea.

>>....all are also just a waste of money and space.

Yes, you're right. Most of those are a waste of money and space for the average American. Most of us don't cook much. Sad? Yes. But true.

>he doesn't have the best electricity delivery system in the world
your 20A receptacles still deliver less power than my 240V 15A sockets and they are far more likely to kill you.

>one is an item that boils water and makes coffee
>one only boils water, something that can be done easily on the stove

>toaster
Uses less energy and is faster than using your oven

>waffle iron
Unitasker, sure. But is the easiest way to make waffles.

>microwave
Come on, don't be retarded. Microwaves heat things up extremely quick and are ideal for certain foods (mainly frozen crap like hot pockets)

>rice cooker
Literally one button and it makes perfect rice while you make the rest of the meal. It's really only useful if you eat rice a lot. Can also make delicious pancakes.

>crock pot
I don't own one anymore, but they're useful for bringing food to a potluck and for making chili. Can even make a full pot of chili or a roast while you're at work.

>kitchen aid, food processor, blender
Refer to my picture

Do you have brain damage? Its just a waste of both money and space.

You must not have heard that other guy.

>your 20A receptacles still deliver less power than my 240V 15A sockets
Correct.

>>and they are far more likely to kill you.
Incorrect. Backwards, actually.

>man-in-hole-with-a-shovel.png

>Its just a waste of both money and space.

Yes, that's what I was explaining. For the avg. American it's pointless because we don't drink enough tea to justify it.

youtu.be/UEfP1OKKz_Q

Probably not better than all other plugs.
But certainly better than most pin plugs.

>man-with-no-arguments-left-grasping-at-straws.jpg

>cuckoo

you're pathetic

but it is better than all plugs. there are only a few designs of plugs used worldwide and the British is categorically the one with the best and most numerous safety features.

Oooo an extra 700 watts, you guys are so technologically advanced.

Too bad your houses are cucked by a 50 amp main service while North American homes have 200 or 400 amp services and some acreages have 600v 3 phase power.

You're still failing to refute my points

Every heard of oxford comma?

>pulling numbers out of your arse
most American homes have around a 150A supply which is barely more wattage than ours and much more dangerous.
Wooden houses + high amperage are a bad combination friendo.

Hey, that's the one I'm thinking about buying!

'Til then, I'm conforming to the stereotype of microwaving my water in a Pyrex measuring cup.

I don't understand why people are proud to live in a place where the tap water doesn't taste good.

I have one of these, brings a single mug of water to the boil in under 30 seconds. Which is fast enough for me.

If I wasn't a poorfag I'd love a Quooker fusion, which is a combi of normal/hot/boiling water tap (with vacuum insulated reservoir). Alas, I am.

Yes, but rarely use it.

That's not really why. I've used a bunch of elec kettles in different houses, and they boil water plenty fast enough to make them useful, despite our voltage differences.

Our lack of elec. kettles has to be mostly because of our lack of hot tea culture. Making tea is their main purpose, so absent that, there's not so much point. Otherwise, people tend not to eat enough instant oatmeal and noodles and whatever else you might use them for.

I have an elec. kettle because I love loose leaf tea, but there'd be little point in having one otherwise. If we could find actual stats, I'd wager the frequency of elec. kettle ownership correlates highly with tea consumption.

>finally, and explanation that actually makes sense

How the fuck is, "americans seldom drink tea" not an explanation that makes sense? Do you really not understand that not everyone else in the world sucks down tea 16 hours out of the day?