What chopping board should i get?

>granite
>wood
>glass
>plastic

Other urls found in this thread:

masakageknives.com/knifecare.html
theboardsmith.com/
researchgate.net/publication/288665341_Hygienic_aspects_of_using_wooden_and_plastic_cutting_boards_assessed_in_laboratory_and_small_gastronomy_units
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Glass is the most hygienic and most common in professional kitchens.

Idiot.

Weebs fall for this dumb, marketing shit because they are basically brain-dead.
Avoid.

Just get plastic. Wood is a bother to take care of and anything hard like glass will dull your knives.

Wood or plastic are the only sane choices. There are pros and cons to each.

Wood: has natural antibacterial properties, but you can't clean it in the dishwasher.

Plastic: dishwasher safe.

Granite, glass, or anything else that's harder than steel is stupid because it will screw up the edge of your knife.

Don't get glass, my sister has a glass one and it makes ungodly noises when you cut things on it. I just have a basic plastic one from Ikea and it works great. Wood ones are cool but if you cut anything juicy on it, good luck cleaning it thoroughly.

I have a big wooden one for veggies and a plastic one for raw meat. You could easily just get a couple plastic ones and call it a day tho, as someone pointed out the wooden ones are a pain in the ass

>granite
No

>wood
Yes

>glass
No

>plastic
Yes

One wooden end-grain board
One large and one small thick plastic board
A couple cheap-ass flexible mats just in case

Don't use glass if you actually want to chop things on it because it'll fuck the cutting edge up. I have a large glass board I use to put ingredients on do stuff like gutting fish because it's big, easy to wipe down and heat-proof, but for chopping I have plastic and wood boards.

>and most common in professional kitchens.
aside from the fact that you're full of shit who mentioned professional kitchens.
>tl;dr You're a stupid cunt.

>granite
Harder than steel, terrible choice. Seriously, it will destroy your knives in under a week.

>wood
Good if properly cared for, if anything like pic in OP, terrible, go for an end grain board. Requires more care but is more forgiving on knives

>glass
Still way too hard, may chip itself or the knife in normal use, will certainly require knives to be reground after a short while.

>plastic
Pretty much as good as wood, but wood is prettier and can be sanded smooth if it gets gouged.

You also forgot to include my favourite:
>Commercial kitchen rubber chopping board (sani tuff, or similar)
Pretty amazing as a chopping board, buy nothing to write home about in appearance. Much heavier than plastic, also much harder. It can be sanded smooth just like wood, but requires virtually no care in comparison (though it still needs to be hand washed in warm water). I 'borrowed' mine from the restaurant I used to work at and I have never regretted the wanton theft.

Wood and only wood. Buy a big one that you can flip over (ie no feet)

It's hard to find wood boards. All they sell is bamboo shit now.

OP here, thanks all.

probably will go with plastic

Wood for veggies, plastic for meats. Glass and stone boards are too fucking loud.

List of good wood kitchen board manufacturers
J. K. Adams Co.
Bally Block Co.
John Boos & Co.
Al Ladd Woodworking
Michigan Maple Block Co.
Snow River Wood Products
The Vermont Butcher Block and Board Co

Just get a nice plastic one and you can pop it in the dishwasher when you're done. Anything else is a meme.

big thick plastic for raw meat, hardwood for everything else

Not weebs wannabe needs who buy a fucking nes controller chopping board

Bamboo is marketed as premium and you're telling me it isn't?

Pretty much 100% this.

A good end-grain wood board is awesome because it's very easy on knives, naturally antimicrobial, and naturally seals minor cuts over time if well cared for. Commercial boards like sanituff or whatever are slightly harder on your knives but way easier to look after.

Trolled softly

Not my picture, but wood. I've never had a problem with cutting meat on it either, it apparently has anti bacterial qualities and I hand wash it since I don't have a dishwasher. I also have a large and a small cheap plastic one. Proper wood over bamboo! Bamboo is much cheaper and looks nice but it doesn't work as well. Glass boards are for protecting benches from hot pans, not for cutting.

Wood or glass.

Dont use plastic, bits of plastic will get into your food.

Which will fuck up your endocrine system.

>A couple cheap-ass flexible mats

man these things are great, easy to clean fucking huge for when you are chopping alot,and flexible

my knifes are so sharp that after a while they cut thru the thin flexible boards...

and they are no heavy enough

glass & granite for ceramic knives
plastic & wood both okay, maybe get different ones for chicken/fish/red meat

>glass and granite for ceramic knives
Retard.

dumbfuck

It's memed to have a high ash/silicon content and thus blunt knives. Moso bamboo in reality has very low ash content though. I haven't seen anyone do any rigorous testing for knife blunting yet.

Even knife manufacturers will advise not to use bamboo.
For example: masakageknives.com/knifecare.html

get two

For any cook who wants to treat himself to somthing nice: theboardsmith.com/

I have an "end grain" bamboo board, it is good.

I previously owned a "side grain" bamboo board, it was utter dogshit.

This one by Zwilling by any chance? Considering getting it.

I have exactly that. My mother bought it as a gift because she has no idea what she is doing, but she knew I have some Zwilling knives. Personally I woudn't have bought it just based on my previous experience with bamboo, but it is actually pretty good. It will warp if you don't wash/dry it properly (and eventually crack if you really don't take care), but otherwise works well and treats knives fairly well.

I keep it on the counter because it looks nice, and functions well enough, but honestly my overall preference remains with my Epicurean cutting boards which I still use for the majority of my cooking, especially raw meats/seafood. Pic related.

The Epicurean boards are wood/glue based, they look nice, come in good sizes, are relatively good on knives, are dishwasher safe, and are much lighter and easier to work with than a thick board. Major downsides is that they are thin (don't absorb chopping force as much), and if not wet/dried evenly on both sides will warp substantially.

i can feel my edges chipping just looking at that abomination

I guess if you only own HRC 90 knives then don't buy one.

There is never a "one size fits all" in anything; there is no reason to pretend it is different with kitchen tools.

If your setup looks even slightly different from this, you are doing it entirely wrong, and are likely to be some form of human garbage

>trader joes chardonnay

I ate an entire 9x12 plastic cutting board over the course of a year as part of a bet, had 0 health problems after

>hiding baked beans
>no spartan decor kitchen
>dated granite counters
>stacking ugly plastic autism style
>in some "rustic" looking kitchen

nigger i don't even know what your life is about

what counters are currently en vogue?

>hiding baked beans
kek

FUCKING WOOD

Not OP but doesn't bacteria stay in wood ones? Would it be smart to use plastic for meats and wood for everything else? Any reason not to just use plastic other than aesthetics?

AFAICS some get wicked into the wood. Then they die, or if they somehow manage to sporify before the plant biocides kill them they are unlikely to ever come out again.

Meanwhile at the surface, where most bacteria are, the wood dries out faster. The plastic captures water in the cracks.

But plastic can be run through a dishwasher, while wood cannot. Plastic is also about 25% of the cost of wood, so you can buy 4 times as many boards and always use a clean one. They also weigh less, which is a consideration for some people.

It's not like a dishwasher is an autoclave.

Occasionally you can buy edge grain bamboo / birch / rubberwood cutting boards at ~5$ a piece at discounters.

>Spraying plastic in constantly agitating soapy water for an hour is not as good at removing bacteria as the natural properties of wood.

Wood is also not an autoclave.

Just seal your boards with oil, bacteria cannot grow in oil. Wood is GOAT.

Quick question, juice groove or no juice groove?

>buying an edge grain board
Fullpleb.exe

You could, literally, buy 18 plastic cutting boards for that price.

>wutRUDoing.tiff

I think it would be a hindrence when you wipe it down and everything fall in the groove.

What kind of grain is best?

The most common in professional kitchens is colour-coded plastic. Don't be stupid.

It is.
No edge groove. Just wipe the counter down after and drain "blood" in the sink before beginning.

If the wood gets a good manual scrub it doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

researchgate.net/publication/288665341_Hygienic_aspects_of_using_wooden_and_plastic_cutting_boards_assessed_in_laboratory_and_small_gastronomy_units

>Spending over $100 on an edge grain

You wash the wood cutting board after its done....

Then what the fuck is the one to buy????

Plastic 6 dollar boards from WalMart... That store is brilliant at stocking high quality cheap plastic stuff.

Trust me, running boards through a dishwasher is easier than picking chicken fat off a woods one the second time you hand wash it and realize you still missed a spot.

Wood. It has the best balance of sanitation, maintenance and durability.

Hardwood requires less maintenance than bamboo if you ask me, but either works.

He's right. There have been studies done on this

Bacteria gets ingrained into the plastic and does not get touched by water/soap at all because the surface tension does not allow the water into the tiny crevices unless it's under high pressure.

Wood naturally does not develop these same tiny microscopic crevices, so the bacteria have nowhere to hide.

This was scientifically studied. Not up for debate. Wood boards are healthier and cleaner.

????? you dont have one cutting board

you do all vegetable/fruit related tasks on your wood cutting board, you do chicken on a plastic board so you can put it immediately into the dishwasher without touching anything else to it

Edge grain is less maintenance and has the same performance. Don't buy shit knives.

You've clearly never used one. Juice groove is great when you're cutting up a cooked chicken or something juicy, etc. The point of the cutting board is that you aren't getting your counters bloody.

Or cut your veggies on wood, then your chicken. Wipe it down with warm soapy water and it's ready for use again.

>Don't buy shit knives.
You got that backwards. Edge grain is for shit knives.

Pine is the most hygienic, antimicrobial and also hygroscopic.

You will never get as good as ceramic or glass, for the smooth surface to discourage adhesion of microbes, but that would be awful to use and awkward to clean

inb4 someone says it's not blood

I have one of those epicurean fuckers. It seems to be pretty durable and easy to clean. However I frequently cut out small peaces of it who land in my meals. I'm not sure if this might be a health issue, because the material isn't very natural an all.

> Pine is the most hygienic, antimicrobial

Only the yellow pines will be hard enough though.

> and also hygroscopic.

All untreated wood is.

i had an audible kek too

But the scientific study you are stalking about said that all woods boards were never actually able to be cleaned because they couldn't be autoclaved or run through a dishwasher. While the plastic boards could be perfectly sanitary due to high heat not damaging the board...

Its as if you haven't actually read the literature, but want to say that wood is better. It is only better if you compare unwashdd to unwashed. Once you use the normal methods of washing plastic is perfectly sanitary.

Wood foes develop the same micro cuts
.. You wood fags are really big on touting the "sandability" of wood boards.... So of course they get micro cuts...

The point is simple, plastic boards dong have to be hand washed and are the only cutting boards in use in professional kitchens, and home kitchens that haven't been sold the idiotic wood meme

Not him, but the paper I linked earlier compared wood boards hand washed against plastic machine washed.

> The point is simple, plastic boards dong have to be hand washed and are the only cutting boards in use in professional kitchens

It's a production line environment full of junkies, you need the colour coding to have some chance for them to keep it straight after the pills kick in. They often also use scrapers, which will keep the plastic from becoming a grungy mess.

Check out wbpstarscom though, you can still find a few sticking with wood at the high end.

Wood only, kind to knives

Directly from your link:

Samples for microbiological analysis were collected by a swabbing method from the boards' surfaces that had been contaminated with a defined meat-egg-mixture and subsequently cleaned according to manufacturers' instructions. Our study did not show significant differences between the microbiological status of the three types of cutting boards tested, all of them being overall acceptable.

Stop being fucking retarded. Plastic I easier to clean and maintain while also cheaper to purchase. Buy 18 of them for the cost of a single wooden cutting board and always have 15 clean ones on hand. Fucking end of argument.

Only if you use a dishwasher. Otherwise you're left with only downsides.

Also in my opinion plastic gets obnoxiously gunky way too quickly. Then people bleach it, and put on a nice soft layer of chlorinated polyethylene on top. Yum.

You can scrape it of course, but there goes the maintenance advantage.

This, wood needs to be washed in a way to not soak wood, and dropping glass/granite on your floor will not end well.

Plastic is cheap, durable, and washing-machine friendly.

>Only if you use a dishwasher.

Yeah... It sucks that its so shitty and difficult, and really, near impossible to use a dishwasher.

Oh wait... Its super fucking easy to use a dishwasher. Even easier than washing a wooden board by hand!

Bamboo dulls the blade

I have several, in wood, in bamboo and in plastic, and the bamboo one is my favorite but it is also a good size so that probably has something to do with it.

>>dated granite counters

I know he made a faggoty post and deserves to be roasted but I gotta admit I like the counter top and the tiling.

>Quick question, juice groove or no juice groove?

If you can only have one board, for the home kitchen I recommend one big board (And by "big" I mean something like two foot wide and three long) and that one should have a groove.

If you can have multiple boards, start with that one and then add others to taste. In particular, as your second purchase, get a smaller board that is easier to handle than your big bastard cutting board. That one should not have a groove because it takes up space so either your board will be too big (to accommodate the groove) and stop being easy to handle or too small (because the groove takes up too much space) and useless.

But wouldn't little bits of food and germs always get in the groove? Particularly if the board is big that it becomes a permanent fixture on the benchtop? How do you keep it clean?

Anything will dull the blade, retard.

>But wouldn't little bits of food and germs always get in the groove? Particularly if the board is big that it becomes a permanent fixture on the benchtop? How do you keep it clean?

1) It should not become a fixture. The reason you start with a big board is that when you only need a small board, you can still use a big board. But as soon as you have the money for an extra board (and you can get them cheap in walmart) you get an extra board and stow the big one until it is needed.

2) I don't know who taught you how to wash your dishes but no, food does not get stuck in the groove on my board.

you are a fucking tool, while yes people should have nice restaurant supply store cutting boards, everyone here would rather cut out their jugular than take advice from someone advertising the knife block pyramid scheme. Get some real god damn knives before you tell people theyre doing it wrong you fucking mental teenager.

>I don't know who taught you how to wash your dishes but no, food does not get stuck in the groove on my board.
So you wash your board in the sink with the other dishes? What about the big board that (presumably) won't fit in the sink? Just wipe it down?

Basically; I only use my board for chopping veggies and never use it for meat, and I rinse it under warm running water in the sink to clean it. But I want get a larger one that isn't going to fit in the sink and I'm hoping to be able to simply wipe it down with a damp cloth, because I figure it's only water coming out of the veggies and not anything that could breed bacteria. But I could be wrong.

Will I die if I do this?
(open question)

not everyone has a dishwasher, or if they do, a working one. Most homes I've been to actually just use that space for storage.

>Just wipe it down?

Yeah, just wipe it down.

>>t's only water coming out of the veggies and not anything that could breed bacteria

ANYTHING can breed bacteria, veggie water included. Veggie water is a fucking bacterial soup. It's not a problem though, just wipe it down. If you're tinfoil-hat paranoid then wipe it down with water containing 5% bleach.

>But the scientific study you are stalking about said that all woods boards were never actually able to be cleaned because they couldn't be autoclaved or run through a dishwasher

Except it didn't say that whatsoever, because soap and water is sufficient to clean the boards.

Once again, you don't cut stuff like chicken on wooden cutting boards, stupid. Use COMMON SENSE.

Even if you DID, soap and water is STILL SUFFICIENT to wash the board

Thanx for the tip.
I'll probably use normal dishwashing detergent instead of bleach though.
Thanx again.