It's a "Veeky Forums doesn't even read a good fantasy series" episode

>it's a "Veeky Forums doesn't even read a good fantasy series" episode

>fantasy

>Fantasy

Why read fantasy when ancient mythology has done all of the same things in a much more profound, time tempered way?

Honestly, it's not that good. You need a whole bottle of vodka to stomach some of the more boring chapters. Sometimes it's really fun, though, and the short stories are generally nice.

>it's a Veeky Forums is full of pseudo intellectuals episode

Don't you know? Pleasure reading doesn't exist. It's just a code word for pleb. If you aren't reading only the greatest books in history, then you aren't allowed to post here.

The short stories were great, but everything after went to shit.

TLW and TSOD are the reads I enjoyed the most from Witcher, and I guess a few moments from the novels. Witcher works a lot better as postmodern deconstructions of fairy tale tropes than their attempt at some epic fantasy with the saga. Kinda like how the games tend to have better side quests stories or expansions than the actual main story.

someones bitter.

Terry Pratchett anyone?

The first like 8 Shannara books were great, but after that Terry Brooks just became a fucking hack.

Character development, depth, complete narrative archs, new additions every few years, no questionable translations. There's plenty of reasons to read fantasy over mythology

>Character development, depth, complete narrative archs
mythology has these though

Suggestions?

The Iliad.

>time tempered way

you mean stale

i like mythology but it's nowhere near as entertaining as good fantasy.

go ahead. keep livin in fuckin lala land you loon.

i don't want to come in contact with polish crafted memes no thank you

Trusted advice from a fantasyfag.
If there is Terry ANYWHERE in the Author's name, don't read.

>no questionable translations
lol
>depth
lol
>Character development
fag

I'll agree with you on Goodkind, but Pratchett was good and so was Brooks before 2000s.

I'm surprised to hear you say that, user. I just recently finished The Last Wish myself, and my impression was overall very positive.

My one gripe is that there's not enough description, or in some cases, gratuitous description. The fight scenes are particularly guilty of this. I don't need a detailed account of every pirouette Geralt performs. We all know he's going to kill the monster.

Most of the stories were 70% dialogue and 20% prose, which is a shame, because Andrzej is a pretty capable writer when he wants to be.