I started reading this today and I binged the first 150 pages all in a day

I started reading this today and I binged the first 150 pages all in a day.

I FINALLY FUCKING GET IT. 5 years spent on Veeky Forums and I finally understand every single one of you going crazy about this book.

Infinite Jest is the greatest literary work since the beginning of humanity.

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/ICLCG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ouch, the old edition.

It's 9/10 breddy gud.

lol this bear make me laugh

wait for it to start dragging. dude needed a better editor

3/10

The fuck? What do you mean?

The other day I bought the same edition as the one in the OP, because it's the most popular edition and everyone else on Veeky Forums seems to have it. Please, please, don't tell me that newer editions are somehow better, because I insisted on getting the 2006 edition.

A 20th Anniversary Edition just came out that corrects a number of errors and fixes some printing mishaps (check out p. 990 of your edition, e.g.)

What exactly is the difference? I just ordered the book, it's not here yet, so I can't check.

I didn't want any newer editions because DFW didn't approve of them.

lol same

It also has this stupid fucking shit

Nicely veiled "I made it to page 990 of Infinite Jest and by that point still even noticed printing errors!" post. Well done! :)
And I'm not being sarcastic, I tried reading it, but somewhere past the first half of the book I got distracted and so far never finished it. Should probably pick it back up...

The second half is the best part, you cucked your own life with laziness

imgur.com/a/ICLCG

Just checked. Seems like a bunch of meaningless shit.

The book goes to page 980 so 990 is actually one of the first end notes so your meme is wrong

990 is pretty early in the footnotes, pal.

You're spurning the definitive and authoritative edition of a great novel because the edges are deckled?

Fucking retard

>definitive and authoritative edition
According to who?

>author didn't approve the edition

Don't read any Shakespeare, pal.

this
a few highlights like eschaton and clipperton aside, pages 300-600 are a fuckin bore
just pages and pages of political expoisiton and really boring routines, lots of shit that should have been better dispersed throughout.

do you guys think we force ourselves to think Infinite Jest was better than it was because we spent so much time on it and if we admit it wasn't good then we admit we wasted all that time

LOL so I wasn't missing any crucial additional endnotes after all. DFW's spergy narrative device was just bound to fuck at least a few things up.

False equivalence. If Shakespeare had lived to see the publication of his work, and approved of a certain edition of said publication, we would all have good reason to feel inclined to read that one too.

no, i think the book genuinely has some great writing, and it doesn't even take that long to read. last time i read it i was done in just over 2 weeks

>Infinite Jest is the greatest literary work since the beginning of humanity.
Surely, you jest.

Okay, but errors slip in even if the author's involved in the editing. There were errors in the 1996 hardcover that were fixed in the paperback. And there were errors in the 10th Anniversary edition that are fixed in the 20th. They're obvious errors, not creative scholarly editing. Just buy the damn new edition you stubborn bastard.

Deckled edges are great, fucking mong.

>DFW's spergy narrative device
Fuck you idiot

Is this you?

There's literally no rationalization for it other than being a special snowflake who wants other people to think that what they are reading is old and smart.

I did too until I read an essay about ekphrasis within IJ and not only did that make sense the whole theme of the book became clearer.

How dare you. That woman is unique, and beautiful, and you would be lukky if she even glanced at you.

I'd probably get a black eye from her stupid fucking alien ear thing swinging and hitting me in the face

>binged the first 150 pages all in a day.
How do you read so fucking fast, Veeky Forums?

I can't go over 30 pages a day, irregardless of the book.

It has aesthetic value, philistine.

>irregardless
That's probably why.

>irregardless
Maybe he didnt go to work/school today?

>giving a shit

I checked before posting, and Wikipedia told me that's a legit word.

Rekt.

Why are Roman statues so fucking beautiful?

Back then, when you picked a hobby, that was all you had.

irregardless would be the opposite of regardless and if it is your post makes no sense.

To me they feel nice. they're not sharp so it has less of a "dry feel" no paper cuts. and its easier to turn the pages.

get fucked.

this book is unbearable. I can see how it would be huge among nerdy "superior intellect" fedora tipping teenage boys however.

>its easier to turn the pages.

Blatantly false

No, irregardless would be the same as regardless.

inflammable / flammable
press / depress
ravel / unravel

The list could go on.

you guys are complaining about deckled edges when the actual content of the book is boring af

Deckle edge is the enemy of all that is good and right.

- collects dust like a motherfucker
- more difficult to flip through
- looks like ass

Proceed to kill yourself and fuck the body.

Plebs would be the ones with no regard for aesthetics.

>I can't go over 30 pages a day
why do you post on Veeky Forums if you are functionally illiterate?
that's 1 book a week at very best

you're all fucking idiots.

It's not even a word. It doesn't make sense.

>looks like ass
Wrong, fucking pleb.
Form > function

hows that macbook workin for ya.

Webster:
>There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.

>Use regardless instead.

There

It became a word.

Language evolves over time, you dumb fucking nigger.

The only aesthetics necessary in literature is that contained in the written word itself.

Desiring your book to be all dazzled up and sexy looking either means a) you are a superficial faggot who doesn't really care about what is in the book, or b) you use "reading" as a blatant attempt to get other people's attention and condition their perception of you, in which case you are also a superficial faggot.

Macbooks look like trash, the brutalist design of thinkpads is superior.

>written word itself.
Only if you abstract the text into words floating around in your mind.

>It became a word.
hue hue hue hue
>Language evolves over time, you dumb fucking nigger.
Because fucking retards want it to be doesn't make it so. Next you're going to tell me that the definition of "irony" will change to include "coincidence" because faggot's like you are too dumb to say shit correctly.

People don't know how to use the word ironic.

Isn't that ironic?

No, it is not.

so you're saying that a utilitarian or cheap design actually looks better aesthetically.

So that function>form, just in a roundabout way.

unregarless of the ironic inclusion of irregardless as word, your not unbreaking the rules of the english landuage.

You know words change meaning through time, whatever people decide to use it for become its meaning doesn't matter what your autistic internet dictionary tells you.

Once upon a time "pretentious" meant "attempting to impress by putting on a greater air of """intellectuality"""" or sophistication than it actually possessed". But it's also used as a coded way of saying "this book is pretty shit", and has been used this way for a long time. When a word gets abused like this for so long, it loses its impact and meaning.

Words change meanings all the time and have done so a lot in the thousand or so years that English has existed. And in other languages as well.

Only in this case, my tastes are universally superior to everyone else's.
End of discussion, I'm closing this tab now.

5/7

Just admit you fucked up, you pretentious cock-monger.

>Once upon a time "pretentious" meant "attempting to impress by putting on a greater air of """intellectuality"""" or sophistication than it actually possessed". But it's also used as a coded way of saying "this book is pretty shit", and has been used this way for a long time.
How so? Most of the time that I've seen someone use the term "pretentious" it was used in the first way that you described. Never really seen it used as a coded way of saying "lol this book is shit". Can you give an example?

>attempting to impress by putting on a greater air of """intellectuality"""" or sophistication than it actually possessed"
>coded way of saying "this book is pretty shit"

It's not a coded way you dumb fuck it's called >implying

If a book is trying to be smarter than it is then it's annoying and fake. Pretentious works are though to be shit because of that. It's not changing the meaning at. fucking. all.

Christ you're a faggot. You're come back to read any replies so you'll see this.

someone hasn't studied semantics...

>It's another Infinite Jest thread and no one talks about the book.

not a whole lot to talk about

It has a great plot.

it's shit compared to evangelion

You've got to be kidding me.

>150 pages all in a day
Not possible.

>Once upon a time "pretentious" meant
>Once upon a time

It still means what it means. Idiots who are only concerned with signalling their opinions on whether something is good or bad use the word as a fancier replacement for "bad" regardless of whether the work is actually putting on airs or simply over the reader's head, which ironically is very pretentious since they're attempting to give their ignorant gut-reaction a veneer of legitimate criticism.

Getting worked up about incorrect usage of words is retarded given the subjectivity and impermanence of language, but let's works this out. One of the definitions of "irregardless" is "regardless," or "irrespective." Whether that's correct in your view is irrelevant, what's relevant is that people use the word like that. This is how language works.

Whether this is the first OED definition doesn't matter. English doesn't have a language academy; usage is the determining factor.

The most obnoxious thing about grammarians is that they don't realize that many of the rigid rules they subscribe to are entirely arbitrary. Or they themselves use words in ways that were once considered incorrect. I mean, does anyone literally use "decimate" to mean "kill 1 in 10" anymore?

What is this book about?

How is it

>go to bookshop
>see Homer
>think "start with the Greeks"
>hipster at the pay desk
>get embarrassed that I'm falling for the meme, he probably knows

Anyone experienced this?

No. A clerk tried to talk to me about Pynchon once when I bought a copy of Bleeding Edge. We had a nice chat about Lot 49 and V. until I asked if he'd read Mason and Dixon. When he said he had not, I scratched my head, looked mildly embarrassed on his behalf, and left with a roll of the eyes.

git gud

mo

maybe for some, but I genuinely connected with the writing and themes of that book at a meaningful level.

I'm done. English is stupid. Switching to Chinese.

I once purposefully asked a female clerk at the book store to help me find the section of the fiction area where I could find Pink-in.

It's as if your fingers were melting as you typed this.

Infinite Jest is a joke, but it isn't one that is intended at the reader's expense. It is the author's bitter view of himself and the small, shallow make-believe world in which he lived.

>HaHa! Got another One!

Absolutely disgusting

What makes you so surprised?

Neo-Veeky Forums is full of blithering retards who think vonnegut is good, unironically read stephen king/ harry potter, and keep a science fiction general thread up 24/7

I am now sure that 90% of the people who talk about Infinite Jest haven't even read the book.

Did you gather this from reading Veeky Forums threads in 2016?

There was a point in time where the book was actually discussed alongside the shitposting

Veeky Forums didn't change at all, it's still the same as it was in 2010 when I first started posting here.

that's a long time to be oblivious to the many changes this board has undergone.

neo-Veeky Forums is dumb enough to take preschool "philosophy" threads like "lol u can't disprove solipsism" seriously, of course people here are dumb enough to take someone like DFW seriously too.

I feel like even 10 months ago it wasn't like this. At least the Stirner and Derrida spam has dulled.

nobody has read it, that's why

Nah, bookstore clerks are too nice and are often complimenting if you actually pick up some decent classics.

I picked up Metamorphoses, some Houellebecq, Knausgaard's My Struggle, some Yukio Mishima and War & Peace and the guy behind the counter was just happy to see somebody buying something that wasn't YA genre fiction or board games and we had an enjoyable chat about what the books are like and some similar writers.

I kinda wish I knew people outside of Veeky Forums and outside of bookstores that read more frequently so I could have the same enthusiastic discussions with them.

"in" is regardless fucked in English because it's both a prefix denoting opposites and "in" as in inner, into
>press / depress
you're an idiot
>ravel / unravel
people are idiots

exactly the sort of person I'd expect to use "irregardless" desu
yes, it's ultimately arbitrary - so are all the other reasons why everybody laughs at you

suck my fucking dick you fucking retard

Tbh the anti-Vonnegut crowd is at least as annoying as the Vonnegut fanboys. And the former is certainly louder