Who /curry/ here?

who /curry/ here?

Other urls found in this thread:

mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10535
youtube.com/watch?v=VL_JzxFAHSw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searing
rainbowcooking.co.nz/recipes/cape-pickled-fish
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I struggle with overcooking the chicken. But it's so tasty anyway...

Love to eat

Never been assed to try and make myself

Stop using chicken breast. Thigh is best meat for curry. Thigh is also cheaper in US and much more forgiving when it comes to overcooking it.

I love curry. Make it all the time.

Spend two years in India for work.

I am making rajma tonight and will post pictures

Love a good curry. Especially with pork.
Looking forward to this.

I curry, i suppose

Indian curry is underrated on this board due to racist memery. Racism is fun and all but you're missing out if you let it dictate what food you eat.

That picture screams Ashens, he too is fine with leaving a fork covered in shit rather than cleaning it off.

I eat Indian takeout for lunch at least 3 times a week. I still love to meme.
more like /DESIGNATED/

Hyped, pls post cooking process

meh.... I've done it, but simply saying 'curry' is overly generic. you may as well ask who soups or who sandwiches. infinite ways of doing it. I could put horse shit on rice and call it curry just the same as putting horse shit on bread and calling it a sandwich

Indians do eat shitsikles, careful with hypotheticals.

What kind of spices would you use for rice if you're making it in a steamer? My wife and I love making curry but we just can't get the rice flavor right.

jasmine

POO
IN
VINDALOO

Looks good

android 18 a qt

chickpea + fried paneer = GOAT vegetarian curry filler. This time of year I've been doing that + roasted summer squash and halved cherry tomatoes in my masala gravy

>great-grandmother was part Indian
>born and raised in India
>moved to the UK with her kids after WW2
>cooked English and Indian dishes as fresh as possible
>my grandmother is the complete opposite
>a "home cooked meal" would be rice and mushroom soup
>mum never got any recipes of my great-grandmother

bad feel

I live for chana masala

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT

WOULD YOU PEOPLE PLEASE POST RECIPES

One thing I can't seem to make or find is how to do a proper BIR vindaloo, every recipe is shit, i'ts my holy grail

Mamta's Kitchen is a great resource for Indian recipes. Here's one for an eggplant curry I made recently that turned out realllllly well mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10535

>great-grandmother
>moved to the uk after ww2
What

Having kids at 15.
Explains India's population, don't it?

I've tried making a few kinds, but I'm still pretty new to the concept. I've used chicken thighs and ground beef for curry, and it's usually stuff that has a decent amount of tomato and onion in it.

I treat curry as if it's just a gravy...which it is.

Rather than cook the protein in the curry, I prefer to simply season it with salt and pepper, and then cook it by itself in the pan I'm going to make the curry in, and pull it out of the pan when it's done.

Then I'll make the curry in the pan with the protein juices, and when the curry is done, I'll cool it and add the protein, along with any juice that may have come off the protein. I let the protein and curry blend and meld over night in the fridge, and then heat it on a low heat the next day and serve over rice.

The meat always turns out better, and the overnight stay in the fridge allows all the flavors of the curry to blend properly.

>as if it's just gravy
Someone's never made curry dishes that have broth.

youtube.com/watch?v=VL_JzxFAHSw

yeah, channa massala is the shit, I make tarka dhaal fairly often too.

well both my great-grandmother and grandmother moved to the UK after WW2
I think my great-grandmother was born in the mid-twenties

Cardamon,saffron jasmine

>I treat curry as if it's just a gravy...which it is.

What you've described is the correct way to cook curry. The protein should be cooked until it's been sealed before being added to the curry base.

that's a good method for jap curry, but jap curry is a huge bastardisation in the first place. curry is not 'a gravy'

>sealed

kys

I mean't seared, retard.

>cooked until it's been sealed
No such thing. But not totally worthless to try because browning it adds flavor.

>cooked until it's been seared

doesn't really make any sense. i think you meant sealed and you're backtracking.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Searing
>Although often said to "lock in the moisture" or "seal in the juices", searing has been demonstrated[1] to result in a greater net loss of moisture versus cooking to the same internal temperature without first searing. Nonetheless, it remains an essential technique in cooking meat for several reasons:
>-The browning creates desirable flavors through caramelization and the Maillard reaction.
>-The appearance of the food is usually improved with a well-browned crust.
>-The contrast in taste and texture between the crust and the interior makes the food more interesting to the palate.
If you don't sear the meat first before adding it to the curry, the texture of the meat changes and becomes stringy, and from the 21+ years experience I have a chef, it simply tastes better seared.

dont you think that you are overdoing the fat part?

thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff i obviously already know.

>from the 21+ years experience I have a chef

haha. so i'm dealing with a 21 year old. good to know.

>haha. so i'm dealing with a 21 year old. good to know.
39 actually, but I'm not surprised a young faggot like yourself couldn't understand that.

you really aren't fooling anyone.

holy shit are we seriously arguing if pre-searing meat is a good idea with curries?
you sound like a teenager desu senpai

not the 39 year old chef, I've never set foot in a commercial kitchen in my life

>holy shit are we seriously arguing if pre-searing meat is a good idea with curries?

no. no one has said it is a bad idea. i just saw a guy talking about 'sealing' meat and upbraided him for it, now he's trying to tell me he's a veteran chef (which he clearly isn't) so i should not criticise the stupid shit he says. who's the teenager again?

>who's the teenager again?
looks like it would be you

also chefs are notoriously shit at using proper english, but I'm glad you were able to satisfy your overwhelming urge to correct your sealing thing. maybe you could also teach us about how lobster is for prisoners and organic contains carbon?

the guy is clearly not a chef. not because of his command of english, just because of his combination of ignorance and certainty that show he doesn't have a professional grasp of the subject.

>So says the user living in his moms basement

funnily enough i actually met a chef two weekends ago who was in his late 30s and lived at his mum's house.

i love curries. its a pain in the ass to first start making them as each dish has about 20 spices that you havent used before. but once you are stocked up on them its easy peasy.

am making curried fish today. rainbowcooking.co.nz/recipes/cape-pickled-fish

But that's how you make a curry, you either cook the meat and add it back again later or brown it and finish it simmering in the sauce.

You aren't supposed to just dump eaw meat into the sauce.

>Broth

Someone has never made a curry in their life.

Someone doesn't know what gravy means. It literaly is a gravy and has been called such ever since westerners landed in India.

Hell, "curry" isn't even an Indian word, it's British.

loads of curries from Kerala uses broth.

someone hasnt left their home town in their life

>One minor area does this special snowflake thing therefore this outlier is a normal thing to do

No user, you are the retards.

What qualifies something as a curry? If I make a thick soup with fried onion, garlic, carrot, red lentil, hot chili powder, cumin and lemon zest and blend it into a paste and pour it on rice does it count? Because I do that shit all the time and it's pretty indian tasting

you are just showing more ignorance. india has distinct regions when it comes to food. kerala being a mayor one. go read a book american friendo.

indians often use the word 'gravy' in the context of curries, but only as a component. curry is not literally a gravy - it sometimes contains one. japanese curry, on the other hand, is basically just that.

also:

>Curry was adopted and anglicised from the Tamil word kari (கறி) meaning "sauce",[5] which is usually understood to mean vegetables and/or meat cooked with spices with or without a gravy.[6] According to this theory, kari was first encountered in the mid-17th century by members of the British East India Company trading with Tamil (Indian) merchants along the Coromandel Coast of southeast India,[7] particularly at Fort St. George (later called Madras and renamed Chennai in 1996). Here, they became familiar with "a spice blend used for making kari dishes ... called kari podi or curry powder.".[7] The explanation put forward in The Flavours of History, claiming the origins of the word to be from Middle English as first recorded in The Forme of Cury (c. 1390),[8] is wrong, as "cury" in that sense merely means "cooking" (cf. French cuire, to cook).

>kerala is a minor area

god will you fucking idiots just stop pretending you know anything.

>Going to poo in the loo
>Ever

I value my health and my non-raped vagina.

>You aren't supposed to

you aren't 'supposed to' do anything, user. there are many recipes out there that involve simply poaching meat in sauces or reducing and caramelising a sauce/paste around a piece of previously uncooked meat.

No, Thailand has a version of green curry that uses a broth. It's a lighter version of the traditional green curry that uses coconut cream.

>tfw you haven't told anyone on the internet that you're a girl in 2 minutes

No shit dickhead, when westerners say curry it means several well known curries, just like when an American talks about pie it means fruit. So this special snowflake region and your hipster curries that we haven't heard of just makes you look like an asshole.

Look up the word "context" and then get tested for autism.

>>Going to poo in the loo
>>Ever
so you never shit in a proper toilet? why is that my dirty indian friend? afraid the toilet witch will rape you?

there is no one definition of curry and it can always change. what you made is non-traditional, not a specific pre-existing 'curry', but it is similar enough for you to call it curry if you want.

>just makes you look like an asshole.

i don't think he looks like an asshole to anyone apart from you, seeing as you're the one who made the initial challenge and you're the one who's wrong.

i am but a poor humble farmer in africa. here there are no hipsters. and here pie means something with meat in it served with tomato sauce. If i as an african knows what a kerala fish currie is why wouldnt you?

>there is no one definition of curry
My teacher at culinary school said pretty much the same thing, except that as a rule of thumb dishes from Asia that use a coconut base for the sauce can """"generally"""" be considered as curry.

when memes backfire

The region has a population of 30 million, just like Kenya has a population of 47 million, they are both minor regions with no global footprint or cultural exports.

Nextt time try looking up what words mean before you try to act like hot shit, otherwise you look like a retard.

but coconut based curries are a minority. that's the thing. it's extremely regional. i think the most general rule you can make is that curries use a combination of 2 or more spices, but even then there are exceptions.

>kenya is a minor region

I thought it would actually be relevant since we are talking about rape central.

Now buy me things, but don't hit on me silly boys.

Right so you're just shitposting now. Epic trolle friend.

>Kerala is known as the "Land of Spices" because it traded spices with Europe as well as with many ancient civilizations with the oldest historical records of the Sumerians from 3000 BCE

INSIGNIFICANT REGION WHEN IT COMES TO COOKING! LISTEN TO ME I AM AN AMERICAN!

>the most general rule you can make is that curries use a combination of 2 or more spices, but even then there are exceptions
The only problem with that is you could put those spices on a steak, grill, and then claim it's a curry. Whereas curry is supposed to have a certain consistency (depending on the region: dry curry or wet curry).

You should go. This place would be better off without you, and nobody would miss you.

I think that this is the most retarded post in this thread.
>I know about this obscure thing therefore you should too

I'm not even a part of this shit but you are a special kind of stupid.

raycis

Just stop shitposting, dear god. Now you're saying Kenya is a global contributor to cuisine, media, art, etc.

Your shitposts are boring.

You should grow up and stop shitposting. Wondering /b/tards like you have ruined this board.

samefag

>This one poster from a minor region of poo in the loo getting triggered because he is a literally who

same

>He doesn't know what samefag means

So, you have an attitude problem, are shitposting, are a retard and you're also a newfag.

Wew.

>all these people
>getting triggered by 1-2 faggots

please kil urselves

>shitposting
All you've added so far is ad-hominem attacks. Nothing you've said has added anything of substantial value to this thread. Please leave Veeky Forums.

2 out of 3 and you still don't know what samefagging means, you moronic shithead.

Ah, the old deflection school of shitposting. You act like a child and quickly call those calling you out a child before they can do it.

You really are fresh from /b/.

It's sad isn't it.

I curry here. I lived in Japan for two years and ate and cooked alot of curry. Then I moved to Thailand and discovered their version, which I prefer. Coconut milk makes the whole dish that much better....

Thai curries just never gelled with me. They taste alright but I just don't like them.

It's Indian all the way for me.

I spent a bit of time travelling through Asia, and I found Thai had the best curries overall. India has the most variety, but they just don't quite have the flavour impact that thai does. The only curry outside of Thailand that I found that could compete was a mutton curry from Malaysia, which was about $4 for a massive bowl of curry plus rice and a 700ml beer.

Tbh I find indian curries to a bit overrated.

well, ok, you also have to stipulate that curries are a mixture, something spoonable i guess.

I think the real question is what is the best side to have with your curry and why is the answer onion bhajis?

A lot of the recipes I've seen make no mention of browning the protein, but simply call for adding it to the curry and simmering until done.

When I did this, I didn't like the results, which is why I just cook the protein first now, and add it to the curry later. This helps me not overcook the shit out of the protein, and allows me to get a flavorful sear on it before it's mixed with the curry.

I think thats because most of the places that serve indian food outside india are north indian/mughal that is a bit watered down for the palate of foreigners. Its more aromatic than actually being flavorful, ive had some amazing indian food there and its completely different from the food in india.

>What qualifies something as a curry?

Either a sauce, or gravy, made to accompany proteins and or vegetables using traditionally Indian spices, like coriander, chili, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, clove, or cumin.