Anyone ever read Pope Benedict's writings? He's pretty prolific and a good writer

Anyone ever read Pope Benedict's writings? He's pretty prolific and a good writer.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI_bibliography

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fTy74tstRAE
catechesisofthepopes.wordpress.com/major-themes/the-lives-of-the-saints/audiences/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not really into Catholicism.

It's just not my thing.

well, alright friend

More like Poop Bend a dick

Poop Bendydick

I like where this thread is going.

Very sad, one of few good christians finding himself trapped deep within the bowels of the bloated old whore.

this is you

edgy

*tips protestant fedora*

If you refute the entire works of one man due to ad hominem then you will always be plebeian my dear friend.

Like the Quran?

I'm not a protestant.

A lot of those are practicing magic and are in communion with evil spirits, others are just confused.

Everyone thinks that they, themselves, are correct.

What could this mean?

Can you please stop posting under my alias.

Why would I ever stick up for that dreadful lie of a religion.

Well obviously someone must be, must they not? I don't see how you could possibly be a member of your church if you didn't believe its teachings.

Everyone of every member of anything believes its teachings.

The answer is obvious.

Most of them are mislead by evil spirits. Just because you splintered off it does not mean you werent mislead. This is plain as day reading the NT.

I read two of his Instructions authored as prefect for the CDF (aka Inquisition).

They were very well argued pieces that, after letting them stew, dramatically affected my sense of the issues they discussed. Incidentally these were also my first introduction to a Christian theological interpretation of modernity, which I've since encountered elsewhere and in other religions, but which I always find vastly interesting.

Why do you think that nobody else can reply to you other than the same guy?

I've secured my name. Hopefully that stops the shitposts

I'm addressing the argument, it does not matter who posited it.

>lie
why don't you go back to tumblr?

Yes, you're stuck back many posts ago.

You're unable to go with the changing flow that anonymous posting allows.

Religious "thinking" can shut down critical thinking, because it feels better. That way you can blindly shout Charlie Sheen's, "Winning!" over and over.

Catholicism makes me nauseous. I can't help how I feel. I was never Catholic, but my parents were married by one and I had a relationship with him.

I just don't think everybody has to be Catholic. The reason it is illogical to think so is it will never happen.

are you claiming Christianity is true?

None of the "arguments" made towards me stumped me in any way.

And of course, I cannot argue like a materialist when I obviously am not one, that comes with the territory.

No. But, tbqh, I want to. I heard he's more of the Analytical Scholastic type, and I kinda like that.

It isn't all about you.

It's the same back and forth, m8. I'm an atheist and I've used that.

Besides, atheism is a lack of belief

Why argue? For funzies?

It's believing in no beliefs.

Only per conflation of two rather different definitions of belief... surely you're not serious?

>religious person
>not serious

surely you're not serious

Benedict is too intelligent for Veeky Forums, OP. You're wasting your time.

He'll be a Doctor of the Church a few decades after he dies.

Why is he wasting his time if you're here?

I love Benedict to death, and want to read him, but unfortunately I have yet to do so.

Actually, I might as well ask this thread since it's up. Where to start with Benedict/Ratzinger?

>an atheist helps a believer

It's a miracle.

youtube.com/watch?v=fTy74tstRAE

>It's believing in no beliefs.
That makes no fucking sense

Toats srius

Do Catholics curse?

I'm an athiest. Remember, I believe in no beliefs. Just like user said.

Poop Bendyrdick

Technically the only thing we're not supposed to do is "take the LORD'S name in vain." So 'fuck' and 'shit' are actually fine since they're only curse words out of convention. Ironically, 'goddamn,' one of the most innocuous of curse words, is probably the worst possible thing to say.

edgy

It's pronounced "Benadryl", fuccboi

It's okay to type, "GODDAMNIT," though?

You're tossing pearls to swine. OP.

No.

Isn't true Catholicism outside and beyond the human range of pleb to patrician?

>Besides, atheism is a lack of belief
Except it isn't since atheism requires belief in other things to give itself support

>oh look it's this old convo for the millionth time again

no, not the user you just responded to. just noting the obvious.

>atheism is a lack of belief
this is true as far as it goes—but all the outward behavior we associate with "atheism", and many of the things which atheists believe that we think of as characteristically atheist ideas, are not a "lack" of a belief.

Most atheists believe that all theists are wrong, for example. This is not the same as an absence of the belief that they are right.

Also, a lot of atheists are in the habit of saying things like "There is no God". Not the brightest of atheists, and I won't let that reflect on atheism in general—but there are a lot of them.

Belief in gods is a pretty clear indication that you are a moron.

The Church is partly mundane and boring (and occasionally pedophilic) and partly luminous and transcendent. It's both earthly and heavenly. In this way it mirrors Christ, who was both fully human and fully divine, and of course this makes perfect sense because the Church, after all, is the mystical Body of Christ.

So on one level it can be both pleb and patrician, and on another level it does indeed transcend the whole spectrum.

I see how the pedos are justified.

We can't know is the thing, arguably the world is entirely made up of providence and the fact that water would become the foundation for life is a choice a maker decided on among the multitude of elements available.
I'm actually quite ignorant though on the sciences and the chemistry between the elements though, but would it not be possible for the evolutionary chain to have developed based on other reactions than the ones we live off of today?

>We can't know is the thing
I think we can be pretty sure than all the major religions are 100% false.

Jesus Christ do fedoras shit up a perfectly good thread with their garbage, not a single good post in 60, butterfly you useless pointless existence should fuck off to somewhere else and spread your nauseating stupidity there.

Now for the actual fucking thread which was about the writings of a pope and not your dislike of Catholicism or protestant nonsense or shitposting, yes he is a very good author. Someone mentioned he was an analytical thomist, which isn't true. He's a theologian and not a philosopher, they do intertwine of course, but ontology or epistemology or ethics weren't his primary focus.
He wrote around 80 books, of which I've read 6.
Salt of Earth is an interview with him in which you get a glimpse into him, events in the Church and general theology. It was a very good read and he had a fascinating life. He talks about who he read, I was surprised, but he spent years researching Heidegger.
As a theologian, he's an augustinian so while he does argument things in a highly intellectual way it's still very warm to the human spirit.
Europe is his book on current tides in well Europe and how it developed and why it will crumble in what seems our lifetime.
Jesus of Nazareth trilogy is some of the best theology I've read, it's, as stated before, warm and easy to read, but parallel to it supremely insightful into workings of the Bible, person of Christ and a lot of other personal musings. One should start with this one.

Yes, it features such a rich tradition in which my illiterate grandma and pope Benedict can stand side by side in mass and pray and experience the same faith in the Eucharist.
The problem arises when stupid people think themselves to too smart and reject the teaching because they are too stupid to understand it and smart people too vain to accept that there are things greater than their mind (Belloc makes a compelling argument in the Great Heresies for this. Every heresy is a redaction of a mystery).

>Jesus Christ do fedoras shit up a perfectly good thread with their garbage
Christians are the ultimate fedoras.

John C Wright is a pretty solid writer

>Starts up taking the Lord's name in vain.

kek

By faith alone

>not understanding the fedora meme 3 years after the fact
>being this new to Veeky Forums
>being this behind on memes
Holy fuck, even reddit knows the fedora meme. Are you like an imgur or facebook poster? Wow.

I like his General Audiences on the Lives of the Saints.

catechesisofthepopes.wordpress.com/major-themes/the-lives-of-the-saints/audiences/

I don't know what to read from him next, been meaning to get back into him since I got a Kobo

100% Nonsense

>help, I don't understand how the scientific method works

This is what you get for being tripfag scum.

>Read him before he became a Pope.
>Thought he was pretty smart
>Still refered to him as Ratzinger when he was a Pope

Hi Popper

Hi mom

Sedecavanists accuse him of heresy, is there any truth to that?

semantics

>Heidegger
>Augustinian
cool, I had no idea. maybe I'll read some of his books.

in my super liberal world religions textbook, when they introduce Ratzinger they make a point to mention that the CDF is the successor to the Inquisition lol

>when they introduce Ratzinger they make a point to mention that the CDF is the successor to the Inquisition lol
It isn't a successor, it is the literal inquisition
SSPX accuse him of heresy, but really I don't know of a single theologian who was 100% completely orthodox in everything.

many are called and few are chosen
besides over a billion baptised members isn't bad

It's a matter of how you interpret the no salva extra ecclesia dogma.
Vatican ii made it include other Christian denominations and Aquinas from before had the natural law for those who don't know enough about Catholicism.

>I'm actually quite ignorant though on the sciences and the chemistry between the elements though, but would it not be possible for the evolutionary chain to have developed based on other reactions than the ones we live off of today?
Yes, and it likely has on other planets, but in our Goldilock zone the circumstances happened to be the most supportive for life the way we know it. (Most life forms in the universe however will likely be based on hydrogen due to the overabundance of that stuff everywhere.)

It is called the anthropic principle: we experience the things the way they are because the way things are is what caused us to exist. Other possibilities exist, but those other circumstances just happen to not result in us observing them.

Essential Ratzinger core

I read the first two, will read the 3rd soon, any other recs? Something more hardcore if he has it.

can i be a true christian without being a member of any church

>many are called and few are chosen

Did you know this saying originated as an Eleusian/ Dionysian cult mantra?

Pope Benedict was always engaged in the European Philosophical scene, particularly in the time between WW2 and his ascendance to popedom. The real question is whether or not he was actually interested in philosophy, or was hunting down wizards for the inquisition.

No, because mass is a strict law.

>Did you know this saying originated as an Eleusian/ Dionysian cult mantra?
Source? Strange thing for Jesus to quote.

Plato quotes in Phaedo 69c. Also, not to be insensitive to anyone's religious beliefs, but it really is not all that strange. Jesus is basically Dionysus 2.0 , less naturalistic, which I like on a moral level, promotes the worship of much more advanced and beneficial things across all levels, and just a way better guy all around.

>he spent years researching Heidegger.

Wizard hunter confirmed.

Thank you for being the only sane person in this thread. It is either zealots or "muh science" retards.
He is also held in a very high esteem by Habermas.
Like they ask in Veeky Forums but with lifting, do people here even read?

That's beautiful.

Why do you imply yourself as insane?

I didn't, because up to that point I had posted nothing. Therefore, I couldn't be one sane person in the thread, as I wasn't there yet and my post was referring to some point in time before itself.

Here's another one:

To make an omelette you have to break a few eggs.

You were here, though.

We felt your presence.

This... is actually fair.

I work in political Science, and as some of you might know, that means I am in contact with a lot of Jesuits, who I always find to be pleasant and knowledgeable , and amateur theologians,

Does anyone here know the political involvement of the CDF? I was reading their "Instruction"s, and I found some pretty disturbing and destructive political rhetoric. I am curious as to the nature of the texts.

Cdf as in inquisitors? They hold very little power now and don't even excommunicate.

Yes CDF, the artists formerly known as the inquisition. I am not worried about their power to excommunicate. What does concern me is it sounds like they may potentially dictate the doctrinal party line of the Church.

The Instruction are full of nasty stuff meant to get disenfranchised third world dummies riled up.

The Quran wasn't a man-made writing, it was spoken by God and recorded by mankind.

am fget