IOTA comeback?

IOTA comeback? If DCI doesn't lose credibility over this, I'll be pissed.

coincentral.com/leaked-emails-seemingly-exonerate-iota/

“…you rushed to the press with a preprint, as per your last communication with Sergey just an hour ago there is still a ton of unresolved issues. What kind of academic rushes to the press before peer review?”

" These emails seem to lay to rest the vulnerability, and it appears as though the problem surfaced from a textbook understanding of traditional cryptography that attempted to exploit a vulnerability that doesn’t exist under IOTA’s unconventional Tangle technology."

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@comefrombeyond/intermediate-summary-of-heilman-et-al-add87228efab
blog.iota.org/introducing-masked-authenticated-messaging-e55c1822d50e
rigado.com/partners/nordic-page/
barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/How-To/Embedded-Java
disk91.com/2017/technology/hardware/discover-nordic-semi-nrf52832/
youtube.com/watch?v=GwhJQ67zxbg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Come-from-Beyond's invitation to the twitter trolls to comment on medium.com/@comefrombeyond/intermediate-summary-of-heilman-et-al-add87228efab ... crickets

Any thoughts?

I mean, it all smells of a smear campaign against IOTA. I'm glad they're getting some publicity about this BS.

DCI is utter bullshit and I hope they get held accountable. Everyone should read the email leaks to find out how these lying snakes behave.

Instead of obsessing on the severity of the bug ask yourself this: why did they chose to invent their own crypto in the first place? Something is fishy about the whole project.

The article seems biased towards IOTA.

the email exchange contained code and advanced thinking results, not something that is conductive to an "hour on slack". The academic knew what IOTA devs are and that it will end in a silenttly poisonous narcissistic venom - this IOTA devs are famous for.

>attack is based on a wrong assumption about IOTA signing scheme.
>IOTA hashing functions are surely special enough that regular hashing function security rules don't apply.
>Narcissistic inability of admitting to being wrong, instead nitpicking as a form of defense.

>IOTA devs make direct statements about the system being correct, not proving it is correct.
>typical narcissistic deception on ones own grandiosity.

IOTA = shit

nope

Even though DCI did not release code to prove a vulnerability, Iota replaced the CurlP hash function with Keccak. They hired Cybercrypt in November to review CurlP.
Read the leaked emails and make up your mind.

They're dwelling on an irrelevant exploit. Does not affect IOTA. End of story.

What are they supposed to be admitting, exactly?

IOTA is snake oil.

The idea is flawed. It does not stop Sybils nor double spends... but do waste your time on it if that makes you happy.

if it does not stop double spends, then why aren't you rich yet?

The author in your screenshot apparently has done zero research. Security has been discussed quite a bit.

Again, it stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of the technology.

blog.iota.org/introducing-masked-authenticated-messaging-e55c1822d50e

From Nov 2017:
"MAM - Since these messages are part of the distributed ledger, they both contribute to the security of the network by increasing total hashing power and benefit from the data integrity properties of the network as other transactions continue to indirectly reference them."

Which makes it even more fishy. Switch to Keccak proves that:

(1) the IOTA team does not believe that Curl is secure, because they would not replace it,

(2) if Curl can be replaced with a peer-reviewed hash, why waste time developing it in the first place?

There is precisely one situation when such behavior would make sense: if Curl was intentionally backdoored.

Another problem. IOTA is for embedded systems. I'm an embedded system engineer, and all this shit is written in C, sometimes C++. IOTA is written in Java. That makes no sense.

Java is used in IoT.

And besides that, are you trying to say there's no interoperability between Java and C++ architecture? Come on man.

Interoperability is not costless. far from it.

Yet it happens all the time.

And most of the time it is costless. All depends on the software/firmware being used.

One word: NRF52. Now DYOR.

That's what nobody seems to be able to answer.
alllllllll these supposed problems with it.
why haven't you gotten rich yet?

>IOTA is written in Java.

Bags dropped

rigado.com/partners/nordic-page/

Rigado seems to be able to use Java SDK's with nRF52 SC's.

Maybe you're just not a very good engineer?

Or maybe start dev'ing in an Azure IOT environment. Supports Java just fine, along with a multitude of other things.

Image attached. Java used for embedded systems is on the rise, and currently accounts for 12.9% or more of ES out there. Not to mention that a large portion of that 80% are Windows embedded, and will support Java modules running on it.

Maybe you need some professional upgrading?

Here you go: barrgroup.com/Embedded-Systems/How-To/Embedded-Java

you talking to some random fucking brainlet basement dweller, give it up dude.

I know my benz will be paid and ran on IOTA
>fuck nazi sjw and other pol garbage on here

>why haven't you found a decentralized attack vector in my centralized currency
let's see how iota does post coordinator

Where Java - c/c++ interoperability is costless?

>NRF52
>disk91.com/2017/technology/hardware/discover-nordic-semi-nrf52832/

Is this the backbone of all IOT devices? How does it make Java less resource hungry than c/c++.

Whats the story there? Is it just a sales pitch?

I don't get it. What did DCI do wrong? They showed them the vulnerability. They changed the hash function. They released their report.

CFB is clearly a retard. He wants to keep trolling along the conversation so they never had a chance to release their work to the public.

Switching to Keccak doesn't prove shit other than "better safe than sorry".

>They showed them the vulnerability.
Only, they didn't...

I agree that only without the COO, will iota be taken serious as a decentralized censorship resistant crypto project.

Nope. Rigado supports Java on the edge router, but not on NRF52.

Very briefly: IoT market will chose the cheapest thing which can run IPv6 wireless mesh networking. We are talking $5 per chip or below. This is the domain of NRF52, CC25xx and Thread OS. The market is already moving in that direction. And the entire stack is written in C. So that's one thing.

Second problem is: these systems are very low power, so they don't have always-on connectivity.
Why? Because radio receiver on NRF52 consumes 13mA. So you literally power up, do whatever you want to do, send your data, wait some milliseconds for acknowledgement and power down immediately.
Now get this: the Tangle, to work, requires an always-on connection, as the node must listen for neighbor's transaction. That's an absolute killer. We are talking about applications such as door locks, where you are supposed to run on the same battery for years.

Third problem. Per-transaction POW. As I said, These devices are energy limited. That means they can invest very little energy into PoW... let's say something like 0.3W. Now, a desktop PC is 300W, so that's 1000x more, which means, that one PC can easily spam the network with 1000x the amount of signatures any legitimate client can make. This means double-spending at will.

So, there. To work, IOTA requires the exact three things that embedded devices do not have.

The PoW can be outsourced to nodes

> The PoW can be outsourced to nodes

So why not just use Bitcoin Cash? Or Ripple? Stellar?

This part of the ledger is still more decentralized. In iota, 1tx bundle confirms 2 previous txs = a block more or less. You cannot mine your own blocks on either bch, xrp, lum.
Iota is also shooting for the moon with trinary logic gates on silicon (Jinn).

> trinary logic gates on silicon (Jinn).

And that IOTA chip is going to cost how much?
I've seen an argument over putting $0.25 op-amp in a $100 product. Because over 1 million pieces, that $0.25 adds up to real money.

I recommend the interview between Ivan on Tech and David Sonstebo. Dno when in the video exactly, but he talks about the plan for trinary on silicon and open sourcing the design, and that it is supposed to be really minimal cost. youtube.com/watch?v=GwhJQ67zxbg

It's clear that very few people here understand the problems in designing an embedded device.I am with you on this anything that is iot coin must be implemented in c for it to be successful.

Dominick just said they are in talks with central banks, as well as companies like Bosch and VW

where did you hear central banks?
link to interview?

they never showed proof
they communicate to other parties besides IOTA that IOTA had a vulnerability
they still haven't communicated with IOTA

it's nothing buddy, go all in on link
>IOTA has no future

> trinary on silicon and open sourcing the design

Jesus, just more evidence these people are deluded. So I now have to convince my chip vendor to integrate his shit at silicon level? Does he even realize how much money he is talking?

>never showed proof

Then what were all those collisions? They even forged a signature on a transaction they made without the private key.

What more proof do you need?