Are there any good novels about isolated online communities? or just internet communities in general...

are there any good novels about isolated online communities? or just internet communities in general? the closest i could think of is richard yates (the novel by tao lin) but that's not exactly what i'm talking about.

pic somewhat related

Serial Experiments Lain?
It ain't a novel but it's there.
You'd have to be very creative to make an internet community interesting

homestuck was this early on but then the trolls were introduced and it turned to shit

Veeky Forums "Veeky Forums" everyone

fact of the matter is that there aren't any good novels like what OP wants

those aren't literature or even books but at least they're decent

snow crash

Actually, the fact of the matter is that you guys
should have just shut your retarded mouths if you didn't have any actual answers to the thread, and instead should have waited for someone to give an actual answer.

>You don't have the answer, and neither do I, but trust me guys someone does!

I'm thinking about writing it. The internet and it's communities are only going to get progressively more important. Especially as national cultures water down, online identities are just going to become more important. There is definitely something to be written about the cross-pollination of language and ideas.

Probably Homestuck Tbh.

Tai Pei by Tao Lin

my diary desu

It would never be considered serious lit tbhwyf. Even if you made a great book about it, its ceiling would be academy award level in terms of respect. But that might appeal to you

>serious lit
serious lit is dead. there is no objective arbiter of seriousness anymore. The media/academic class has shifted its attention to pop culture and identity politics in a desperate last-ditch attempt to remain relevant.

I am an arbiter of seriousness and I am the king of the universe I live in. So therefore serious lit still exists

There was a tonne of hypertext literature written around the 00's through mailing lists that were essentially like reading someone else's emails. Often they were in "real time". I think probably that was part of the deal in Deus Ex of hacking computers and reading other people's shit. Then 9/11 happened and people seemed to get a bit disillusioned.

It's quite an accessible format to write in tho, like the quality generally was quite poor but with the shortness it was all quite readable and they'd have like instant feedback on the community about each installment. And now the only place you really see it is on things like video games.

I'm currently planning / writing a novel about one that will define this generation. It is so exciting and the backstory about how I had the idea is so interesting I can't wait until it's mentioned on my wikipedia page. Mythic. Absolutely mythic.

Pynchon already did it.

INFINITE JEST by David "Mammoth" Foster Wallace.

Wolf in White Van. It's about mail RPGs and the Conan metal communities.

And even in Bleeding Edge you could tell he wanted to convey more than he was able to.