Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Boil water in it. Literally that's it.

Also

Acid

leave it in driveway and spray it off like you're washing your car

kosher salt and oil with paper towels

Soap, water and a brillo, you numbskull. What you've fallen for isn't the "cast iron" meme, it's the "you have to clean them a special way" meme. Just fucking reseason it.

Don't use soap.
Do what this guy says

Don't even need to boil water in it. As soon as you've removed the food, turn up the heat and add some white vinegar and it will melt the shit that's burnt onto the pan and sterilise it.

Use hot water and scrub it with a chain mail scrubber or sponge or something, you fucking moron.

It's a hunk of iron, you don't need to be gentle

Fucking hell m8

>Don't use soap.
Wrong.
seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

>the /g/ thread got 100 more replies than this one did
>it got moved to Veeky Forums anyway

Wash it with soap and water. Don't use an overly abrasive scrub brush. The seasoning is polymerized oil. It is very resistant to cooking temperature heat, water, mild acids and bases (liquid soaps, but not dishwasher detergents). It is prone to damage from extremely high heat, scratching or scraping from metal objects. Never thermal shock cast iron by heating it very hot, then cooling it very quickly as in submerging it in cold water. Cast iron is very hard, but brittle. It can warp or crack if you do this, the seasoning may begin to chip. There is a lot of cast iron voodoo out there. Don't fall for it.

How do you get all the burned on gunk off without a steel pad though? I clean it rarely but thats the only way I know how.

With your hands, dumbshit. Not a dishwasher.

Reported for spam :^)

Heat the pan to a low heat with soapy water. Let the burnt food soak up the water for a few minutes, and scrub it off with a plastic scrub brush. If you regularly use steel wool to scrub it, you may have already scratched off a lot of the polymerized seasoning, making food stick more than it should. If you see non-black, greyish, or rust colored areas, this is the case. The true color of cast iron is dark grey, the polymer is dark reddish-orange that makes the metal appear black and glossy. Re-season fully, or gently cook something fatty like bacon a few times at medium heat to rebuild it.

Let it cool down, grab a sponge, maybe put a little soap, scrub, rinse, dry it out on a low flame, when dry and it cools down rub it down with oil, store it for next time.

I just put it in the dishwasher but instead of using detergent I just squirt in cast iron cleaner.

"It's so simple! Just clean it!"
>literally 100 conflicting answers in this thread alone already.

Or you can just get a regular nonstick pan and get the same results with no bullshit.

Just throw it in the dishwasher you mong.

That was just stupid, user. Bet your pleb ass thinks there's no use for copper or carbon steel pans either. Maybe you should learn how to cook before posting here.

I use a hand cranked rotary buffer that I made myself using pocket watch parts, starting the sequence with guanaco fiber wheels charged with 100 micron monocrystalline diamond, followed by 50 micron, 25 micron, 10 micron, 5 micron, 1 micron, 0.5 micron, and 0.25 micron. I then send it to my child labor factory in Bangladesh where small children tirelessly (because they're forced to drink bottles of imported Thai red bull day and night) hand polish the surface 24 hours a day with their bare fingertips which are first coated with 100,000 grit cubic boron nitride and then using custom child-sized buffing gloves made of vicuña fiber.

The pan is then flown under armed guard to my facility in Singapore where it spend the next 18 months in a 55 khz ultrasonic bath using a cleaning fluid so delicate and rare that if I typed the name it would cause Veeky Forums to crash instantly and possibly bring down a large portion of the internet, so I won't say any more on that. After this I use lard made of obese 4channers who went to Japan to teach English but were slaughtered moments before they lost their virginity to busty Nigerian assassins paid by me to lie in wait on the streets of Akihabara waiting under the guise of street prostitution for these very same NEETS to show up. The virgin neckbeard lard is then rendered carefully using Mauviel Muh Heritage pans over a low bintochan fire, filtered through an aeropress, and finally infused with the finest herbs and himalayan pink salt in a Sous Vide Supreme under the supervision of Nathan Myhrvold himself, poured over Nigella McStranglewoman's pendulous breasts, and carefully painted onto the perfectly smooth surface of the pan before being baked in an oversize custom Easy Bake oven for three hours at 375.

This process is repeated over 100 times before I would dare fry even the shittiest grocery store egg on it, let alone the more delicious and, needless to say, extremely rare and costly eggs that I eat as a matter of routine.

Sure there's a use, lining the pockets of whoever's making the latest cooking trend.

There's a reason the truly good chefs don't need a cupboard full of memepans. Quit being a tryhard, kid.

So you don't know the difference between pans or what they're used for, nice to know that no one should listen to your opinion.

Keep justifying spending 200 bucks on something worth 40, your internet friends are real impressed, lil' Alton. I'm sure you'll get plenty of upvotes, Ramsey Jr.