Is there a book about the author writing the same book and we're reading it?

Is there a book about the author writing the same book and we're reading it?

And its called the Song of Eternity

That's genius

Things They Carried experiments with this to an extent, but not as far as you're thinking OP

Check out Joseph Heller's Portrait of an Artist, as an Old Man

One of the dark tower series books does this.
>Unironically writing oneself into a book

on a winter's night a traveler . kinda

Neil Gaiman's Forbidden Brides

If On A Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino, sort of. He writes the book with the readers as the main characters.

Parts of Don Quixote

My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard gets to be pretty meta at times, especially in Books 5 & 6

The Hobbit

My Twisted World

Pretty much majority of postmodern fiction does this. From the top of my mind:
• John Barth ('Lost in the Funhouse')
• Gerald Murnane ('Inland', 'The Plains' to some extent)
• DFW's 'Octet'
• Italo Calvino
• Martin Amis' 'Time's Arrow'
• Coetzee's 'Foe' (I think?..)
• Flann O'Brien's 'At Swim-Two-Birds'

100 Years of Solitude

Proust, In Search of Lost Time, not even kidding

>I now understood why the Duc de Guermantes, whom I admired when he was seated because he had aged so little although he had so many more years under him than I, had tottered when he got up and wanted to stand erect—like those old Archbishops surrounded by acolytes, whose only solid part is their metal cross—and had moved, trembling like a leaf on the hardly approachable summit of his eighty-three years, as though men were perched upon living stilts which keep on growing, reaching the height of church-towers, until walking becomes difficult and dangerous and, at last, they fall. I was terrified that my own were already so high beneath me and I did not think I was strong enough to retain for long a past that went back so far and that I bore within me so painfully. If at least, time enough were allotted to me to accomplish my work, I would not fail to mark it with the seal of Time, the idea of which imposed itself upon me with so much force to-day, and I would therein describe men, if need be, as monsters occupying a place in Time infinitely more important than the restricted one reserved for them in space, a place, on the contrary, prolonged immeasurably since, simultaneously touching widely separated years and the distant periods they have lived through—between which so many days have ranged themselves—they stand like giants immersed in Time.

Check out Shakespeare's 18th sonnet, which is an account of the process of writing itself, rendered in the present tense. The poem wonders how it may achieve immortality for its subject, deciding that the way to do this is through the power of the written word. Writing implies a reader, and so the very act of writing is a step towards bridging the spatio-temporal gap between now and the future, achieving a kind of immortality. At the end, the reader (you) becomes the performative agent described in the final couplet.

Like every single Roald Dahl book.

The Tunnel, The Great Fire of London, a good chunk of metafiction.

my diary desu

Miguel de Unamuno has book called "How to Write a Novel". It's a novel that is interrupted by Unamuno talking about how he's writing it.

This

this

Henry Miller talks about writing Tropic of Cancer in it.

Would The Hobbit count?

THIS IS THE SONG THAT NEVER ENDS

Hello John LeBerre

The Outsiders

the floating opera by john barth

The Great Fire of London is especially interesting because he's writing the book you're reading about how he failed to write a book called The Great Fire of London.

M E T A
E
T
A

busy monsters does this but he's writing magazine articles about the shit he does and the book is structured like you're reading those articles

Book is about Pony Boy, not the narrator/PB friend.

he looks awful and very unhappy

I bet you thought this was a good comment

Sophie's world?

Isn't Slaughterhouse 5 like that? Ditto for Cat's Cradle.

The affirmation

Yes, Sophie's World does this to an extent. I admire that book for introducing thousands to philosophy, but the story and prose itself are somewhat painful and amateurish at times. It is proto-YA, but its goals were/are admirable, despite the novel's colossal flaws.

Watch Adaptation

Those are a bit autobiographical. The only one where Vonnegut explicitly writes himself in is Breakfast of Champions

malone dies

The Animal Man is a comic book but the end Animal Man talks to the reader and the author, and the author talks about The Animal Man to Animal Man.