Has academia ruined literature?

Has academia ruined literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

jodipicoult.com/
articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/19/opinion/oe-bloom19
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, literature has ruined academia

I have a better question. What hasn't academia ruined?

People who actually have a brain.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

You have only yourself to blame you tuition sucking parasite.

>73
Back to >>>/retirementhome/ grandpa.

the fact that he isn't drinking aquafina makes the picture

harold?

Fuck off

if you are serious got any stories or more complaints of what you see inside academia? plz oldfag.

>73 and on Veeky Forums
We've got an ascended master here if true. Any big changes from then and now? What has actually improved?

Not him, but nothing. Everything has been destroyed by critical theory and muh racism

Nah. Television ruined literature over the course of 60 years.

HOLY FUCK HOW NEW CAN YOU GET
back to
immediately

Make me you homo

dugin?

combined with hollywood, might be true

yi

>the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist
Confirmed bait. My english professor went on for 15 minutes about how Whitman wanted black dick

No one likes you.

Um, no. Hitchcock was a fucking genius. Can't agree with you there.

>not realizing that was before the Jews took over

what was it like when lincoln freed the slaves? what are your most distinct impressions

Or you, faggot

Idk about the study of literature, but these fucking MFA creative writing factory authors are bone dry of anything authentic.

When the next big leap in literature is to make the book long and overly complex (McElroy, Pynchon, Bolano), you create an academic environment that doesn't respect the originality or insight of the work, but rather it's raw creativity and perceived difficulty. Just because something takes a exceptional level of genius to do, does not mean it's profound.

Really, modern acedemia has formulated the importance of a book into essay lenghth themes (like a lesson learned at the end of a fucking cartoon) leaving behind the beauty and obscure insight to the human condition one gets through a classic work of literature.

Not to mention the blandness of the books people read. I don't mean to say that the books focused on in acedemia aren't worth reading, but they've funneled thousands of works into a trickle of novels meant to encapsulate the period. How many Melvilles or Blakes have been left behind because of the establishment's failure to recognize their value? The real danger of today's academia is that we let them indirectly decide what we read. We have everyone reading the same 500 books. Writing the same analysis papers over the same thibgs without ever really branching out and thinking for themselves.

Hitchcock isn't modern (IE past 50 years) Hollywood

Everyone loves me and we all love each other except for you, gtfo pleb.

The influx of Jews into Hollywood happened before WWII cro-magnon.

The studios have put out lots of great shit out lately aside from iron man vs wolverine.

it's still shit

Name 4 of these so-called MFA factory authors

They still hadn't completely taken over, that's the point.

Isn't this a literal bloom quote, why are so many people buying it?

Ben Lerner, George Saunders, Michael Chabon, jodi picoult

newfag redditors man

Why can't you stay in your cave troglodyte?

i can attest that everyone hates you because of your homophallacious genderqueer trip. please refer to pic related

oh my god her website is straight outta 2002, it looks like it was designed by her "co-writer" daughter, jesus christ this is funny

jodipicoult.com/

>That html at the top of the page
>That social media bar that blocks the left hand side of the only text on the page
>Pointless hashtags
I couldn't count how many things are wrong here

Not even. There are PLENTY of smart people who've wasted away in the Social Justice Racket.

>There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining.

This is slowly beginning to hit the Western Psyche. By the mere fact I apply Communication theories honestly, I wind up with all sorts of insights lost to many. Nothing to do with intelligence. Just honesty. (Even if I'm also a misandrist SOB.)

>trip
its a namefag, not a tripfag, newfag
either way just fucking ignore it lmao

Holy shit Schubert was hot

Yes. Again.

Nothing in the ideal realm is in ruins. Just go read it you fucking faggots, god I'm getting sick of this boards shit

>Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

Fuck off Harold

I liked actual aunt butters, which you are not.

I think Marvel have worked out how to maximise tickling nerd clit while minimise writing quality. DC seem to be going in the opposite direction.

There's definitely been some great shit this year, but with Star Wars and Deadpool and so on certain voices are drowning everyone out. As will always happen. Last year and the year before were better in general tho.

Zootopia is the surprise good film of the year, it's actually a real decent noir.

Walt Whitman was a racist. He wanted South America replaced by Aryans. He was a shit-tier poet as well.

I could argue, but why argue such a vicious burn like that.
God damn

Academic literary criticism turned to shit after English professors misread Derrida for the first time and turned literary studies into sociology and gender studies.

That said, no real literati gives a fuck about English professors. It's not like humanities scholars (barring the likes of Harold) have any real influence outside of university, anyway.

How can I hide all your comments? Is there such a function?

>Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.

Well done user, you rused literally everyone.
>articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/19/opinion/oe-bloom19

Academia is a government program, the fuck did you expect?
School of resentment and the rabblement of lemmings.

>it's not like physics scholars have influence any influence outside of academia anyway
>it's not like history scholars have influence any influence outside of academia anyway
>it's not like legal scholars have influence any influence outside of academia anyway

I like you

Academia went to shit when they started letting women teach university level courses. They have no business attempting to do critical analysis of literature, history or politics.

Politics and feminism have ruined academia which in turn has ruined literature.

or anything, really

It should also be expanded to feminine men. We should be especially wary of men raised by single mothers.

ITT: Anglophones and Anglophone culture.

butterfly doesnt read