>tfw fell for the cast iron meme

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU CLEAN THIS THING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

by killing yourself.

fucking how
evey time I try I wake up in a hospital with 500 dollars missing from my pocket

I know I'm not the only person who cross posts between ck and g but come on, you must be able to tell the difference. Also, clean it however you like, power washer, steel wool, wire brush etc. etc. It's cast iron, it don't care. Also, stop burning your food like a retard.

>posting a cast iron pan on /g/

Of all the boards, you chose a technology board for your cast iron pan?

also:
>Steel brush, force and some acidic solvent

it's not that bad

It is almost a meme though. I can't tell any difference in the end result. But it's too late now. I've already bought it and I'm a firm believer in the sunken costs fallacy.

-- -- Be prepared to describe what's wrong with it so the type of cleaning &/or reconditioning advice can be targeted toward your needs. Posting actual pics of it's condition can't hurt.

Shoot your self faggot

With water you moron and dry immediately. Also dubs you faggot

yuo arent supposed to clean cast iron dummy. You are supposed to just wipe the grease off after using it and put it away, and the next time you use it you burn off any germs of bacteria before putting the food on

cleaning it makes it lose its flavor profile, retard

I too cross between but good god man you recommend a wire brush!
All you need is some hot water and a stiff bursh

Technology isn't just exclusive to computers unlike what 99% of /g/ morons believe

>have one laying in the sink for 3 months

It sticked to a dry wall, not shitting

Put water in it, bring to a boil for a while. Burnt food will loosen up. Then just rinse out and then clean with cooking oil and paper towels. Once done, coat with oil and put it back on the stove for a while to hopefully season the pan.
The secret is to not let old food sit around, rinse the pan out right away. Never use soap, and never use steel wool, that will just strip the seasoning, which will make food stick even more.

Cast iron needs to be seasoned, dude. Cleaning it basically involves a rinse and wipe with water.

You clean it by hand, you apply a thin layer of oil in the end all over the insides, and you sprinkle salt over that.
You stupid fuck.

Next time get a stainless steel pan, or a nonstick pan

I like stainless steel because you don't have to worry about seasoning, or non-stick coatings, you can just blast the shit out of it.

electronics is obviously the intended focus, though.

>you don't have to worry about seasoning
why

>not ceramic pan

Bit of elbow grease.

cast iron is the easiest shit to clean. Just rinse with water then wipe dry.

You did season it right?

If you're going to be pathological about definitions then basically everything counts as technology

How the fuck does /g/ know so much about cast iron pans?

Install Gentoo

I didn't think Veeky Forums was popular enough to have meme spillover.

You need to kill yourself

Lots of ex-fermi owners.

Because some of us don't live in mommy's house faggot.

a) we know how to google, it's a superpower of nerds
b) all /g/urus love food and most of us shadowpost on Veeky Forums too

Heat it up and then pour in either white vinegar or white wine (vinegar is cheaper). The acid reacts with the fat and melts away.
>source
>I'm a chef

I live by myself, though i'm a really lazy cook

I cook for others, never for myself

>tfw fell for the wok on an electric stove meme

Fuck asian cooking. Cooking with chopsticks is fucking gay too. Can't reach consistent high heat on my shitty electric range with and el-cheapo stainless steel pans. How am i supposed to make my weeb meme dishes in my filthy gaijin kitchen?

blowtorch

I know as probably others do too because I have my own place and I enjoy coking.

Thanks for the tip user, will try that one

>Electric stove

You fucked up when you chose the apartment/house.

>enjoys cucking

burn the house down and get a gas stove

You just beat someone to death with it and use the blood to summon scrubbing demons you ignoramus

go ceramic or go home

It doesn't need to be completely clean faggot. Slight burn ins from previous cooks also helps with anti-stick.

>ITT good taste

Gas 4 lyfe dawg.

i have a hybrid gas and induction

you cant beat induction for boiling water

The best way to restore or make new seasoning on a cast iron pan (assuming there are wooden bits, remove them before attempting) is to slightly grease it down with unrefined flaxseed oil using a napkin and then tossing it into an oven on high heat for an hour or until all the oil burns. Wait for it to cool off, and repeat the process about six times.

>but what's happening?
Pan seasoning is formed from crystallized carbon molecules concentrated from specific fats and oils. Flaxseed oil has not just the lowest burning point of any oil, but also the highest concentration of potential carcinogens (a good thing in this case).
In ye olde days when cast iron was the only real material option for cooking, the food we ate was also quite different, for instance pig fat was mainly used for cooking on, but we also fed pigs with real food then, so one can't just use modern bacon to season with. It won't "stick" so to say.
Seasoning is a process of activating the free radicals within food to start the process that eventually creates that hard shell, so if you want to avoid getting cancer from eating burnt food, it's generally a good idea to not cook and expect good seasoning at the same time, although some scale will form from regular cooking either way.
For cleaning, just make sure to remove the food from the pan as soon as it's done and then rinse down with hot water, never use soaps of any kind. After cleaning you may opt to slightly grease the pan if you're afraid of corrosion if you live near the sea.

Thanks for the very informative post

what technology is this

Cast iron pans

I use two methods:
If it's just dirty I use warm water from the sink and a normal brush until it's clean, doesn't take too long.
If loads of food is burnt stuck I add warm water and put it back on the stove and boil it for 5 minutes. Just scrape it off with a spatula and complete it with the first method. Always works.

Ceramic pans> every other pan

seems about as relevant as anything on /g/
like why do we always have headphone threads? It's only vaguely related to tech, 90% of discussions seem to be about subjectivity and impressions, not actual science or engineering.
Those fags should just go to /mu/

Cast iron retains a huge amount of heat compared to aluminum pans, whether they're coated with Teflon or ceramic, which is important when you throw in extra ingredients that might rapidly cool down the contents of the pan. I like ceramic pans too of course, but for different things than what I use cast iron for.

Burn off anything left on it and scrape it off.

>cleaning cast iron cookware

>Lots of ex-fermi owners.
>Not keeping a gtx 480 around for charred deliciousness
Pleb.

Difference is cast iron takes a lot more punishment than fibreglass and plastic can - all those gtx 480's have melted after years of use as an impromptu bbq.

>Lots of ex-fermi owners.
underrated post

No.

My dog isn't technology, but dogs breeding through the lenses of DNA replication is /g/-relevant.

This post is obviously intended at the 20 GPU, computer case, or anything gaming (keyboard, Omen, etc.) threads there are everyday too. Just look at what people post in Vulkan threads: nVidia blog posts, nVidia bugzilla, nVidia memes, etc. gr8, autosage Vulkan nVidia and AMD please.

You clean it by mitigating the dirt to begin with, Before you use the pan, spray it with Pam or another non-stick cooking spray.

>You need to kill yourself
I don't give a shit about pans dude

>muh even heating

Thick copper bases on stainless steel pans helps with that.

Cast iron dumbbells are comfy m8
I always feel like Ahnold lifting even if Im a dyel fag

Don't do this, it makes mustard gas.

>2016
>cast iron

TEFLON MOTHERFUCKERS

USE IT

Literally supporting a powerful monopoly

>Muh cancer

...Get a gas bottle?

Different pans for different foods motherfucker!

you scrub it with steel wool.

ITT /g/s extreme autism even extends to cooking

>cooking

more like faggots too poor to afford restaurants

stay salty

>only 500

Damn. What country ?

If it's super fucked, then clean it in a vinegar solution to get all the crap clean.

Now comes the seasoning of pan, that is making sure the pores on the cast iron is filled with oils. Google seasoning cast iron.

Don't use dishwash on it, it will ruin it and adds the taste.

Hot water and brush. Steel wool if you fucked up again.

Yes, but...

Some metal react differently with some food, mostly with acidic ingredients like tomatoes.

Stainless steel and ceramic are non-reactive and should not impart different flavor to the food.

Aluminium, "regular" steel, iron(cast-iron), copper are known to be reactive and will react to ingredients and will change some of the flavors.

>can't cook because no basic life skills
>have to leave the house just to get something decent to eat
wow sounds great desu senpai

I carved a piece of wood into a groove that meshes perfectly with the pan. It takes me a couple of minutes to clean, but cleans up well.

Honestly I just wash it with Fairy and I season it before I use it.
I don't even give a fuck that there's Fairy fumes in my food.

seriouseats.com/2014/11/the-truth-about-cast-iron.html

>never use soaps

you've been meme'd friend

>problem is what your obese mound classes as a restaurant many of us wont.
>see Maccies & kfc are not really "restaurants" in my eyes

Electric wok

Just buy a new one everytime

hot water and a sponge
no soap or else

>cast iron pan thread
>still the best thread /g/ has had in months

generals are a cancer that is slowly killing every board

>heat teflon until smoke, for steaks
>inhale toxic fumes
oh what fun

Not him, but the same thing happens to me all the time here in Liberty City.

From the same article:
>The one thing you shouldn't do? Let it soak in the sink. Try to minimize the time it takes from when you start cleaning to when you dry and re-season your pan. If that means letting it sit on the stovetop until dinner is done, so be it.
When I said don't use soap I meant don't let it soak with soap in it, I've seen people do that and it does ruin the seasoning.

That has less to do with the soap and more to do with the water.

>Muh cast iron meme
There's probably a reason why 99% of chefs use stainless steel everything

Because a good chunk of us actually take care of ourselves, have our own place, and know how to cook.

99% of chefs are lazy fucks who only do it to get payed.

>99% of chefs use stainless steel everything
Nice statistic out your ass.

>he didnt buy the combo cooker

look at him, look at him and laugh!

That's pretty nice to be H.
I bet you could make some really nice buckwheat in that bitch.

>when done cooking
>wait for it to cool
>pour in water about half way up
>put it on the stove and crank up the heat
>let it boil on full power for a few minutes.
>if you have a gas stove, just turn off the heat and wait for it to cool
>if you are on ceramic/whatever take it off and place it on metal trivet so it can cool
>when cooled pour out the water
>give a good scrub under low running lukewarm water with a steel brush or steel sponge.
>when done put it back on the stove and quickly heat it so it dries and immediatly take it off the heat.

Done.

Thats how I do it.

>get a nonstick pan
Enjoy your cancer

lodge pans are shit

don't let it soak, just scrub it down.

how? they're just iron like any other fucking cast iron pan

they are too fucking heavy and they perpetuate the meme that cast irons have to be heavy

a quality cast iron pan is actually really light.

You're not supposed to scrap and eat the nonstick, user.

>a quality cast iron pan is actually really light.
Chinese quality cast iron pans.

Because cast iron pans are just as self-depreciating as linux.