Lets see your shelves

Lets see your shelves.

the only books that matter

404 literature not found

Only about two or three of those books are literature. They are all comics, manga books, and children's books. I think you're on the wrong board. There's a /co/ board for comics and cartoons. I know this sounds a bit mean but its true.

Disgusting.

Disgusting.

Beta virgin loser

Your parents must be proud

>retarded manchild
>trump supporter

Who would've thunk it?

this is the Veeky Forumsshelf

bin that vonnegut you redditor

lol wut

well meme'd

you rich cunt, i have the same book collection that moby dick and years of solitude are from. what happened to your Hear of Darkness there?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who hates that cover; it's the only one available where I live and it really pisses me off because I want to read it but I don't want to buy the book.

What about it?

stop reposting this boring ass shelf

I literally fell for the Veeky Forums meme: the post.

>trump
>toys
>manga
>comics
>licensed media novels
Lol

There's no gene wolfe

>no dfw

Who's the publisher of that copy of Moby Dick?

Not OP, but it looks like an Easton Press edition to me.

I shall not eat your bait. Good try, but not enough.

Follow the advice on the Trump merch and kill yourself; it would make America a little greater.

my man

u do realize that you are missing half of Water Margin, right?

>implying that guy even read any of those books.

> Bait our not someone on earth has this shelf in their house
>Barbaric

Starting with Kafka now that the semester is over. Rate my entry level taste

pretty good for starting out
most newfaggots just buy lot 49, infinite jest, and blood meridian

It's pretty good. I commend you for not buying meme books and burning out on "serious" literature in general.

>alphabetical
Christ lad.

Other than that and the amount of Murakami, pretty solid. What book that is never talked about on Veeky Forums would you recommend me?

What are some books on my shelf that you've read and liked? And yeah, I like it alphabetically, haha. It's a pain when buying a new book by an "A" author and having to rearrange the whole thing.

Thanks anons

I'm so happy I actually have the summer off so I can read for leisure again.

Except for what makes a regular appearance on Veeky Forums:
Paul Auster's stuff, though it fucked with my mind unlike anything else I have ever read.
Death of a Salesman, but I've only seen the play.
Huckleberry Finn was aight.

this is terrible.

Have you posted this before? I feel like I've seen it at a different angle. I thought it was a reddit pic go back, but this second pic, with the Trump sticker makes me wonder.

I love how they are set up like orthodox icons... Icons for memes.

>P&V translations
>Veeky Forums

Worst part is, judging by your Oliver translation of Crime and Punishment, is that you probably only bought them because they are nice looking editions.

Patrician.

Nice, but the way you organized your shelf is terrible.

Boring but nice.

I've only read The New York Trilogy, but have been meaning for a while to get into Auster

What other books would you reccomend? Does he have any other 'detective' fiction? I love that shit.

I'm not much fan of a mind fuck fiction. House of Leaves is mentioned quite a bit on here, but it's really one of the only mind fucks I've thoroughly enjoyed. A different sort of mind fuck though would be B.S. Johnson's The Unfortunates, which is a book in a box, where each chapters are loose and not numbered. There's a specific beginning "chapter" and ending "chapter", but the rest are meant to be mixed up. Here's one pic of it.

And all of the "chapters".

I pasted all mine from earlier into one big picture.

>no one notified me of the cat puke on the floor in the last thread

A friend and read this together in total random order and spoke at length about how the experience was in our order. Very fun and interesting. A pic of the notes.

I like your all-caps handwriting.

Thanks. The box came in handy to store all of the notes in. Really the first time I ever took notes. And last, for that matter.

Fuck me, that thing (calling it a book sounds pretty disingenuous) does sound pretty interesting. I will look into it.

You seem pretty cool. Keep doing what you're doing, you're head and shoulders above most people here.

>we the drowned

My man

I might have another suggestion, thinking about it more. Do you like psychedelic stuff?

Shoot, user. My body is ready.

Kenneth Patchen's Journal of Albion Moonlight. Definitely a mind fuck, but of LSD caliber. He's a poet, and the novel reads like one. It was too masturbatory for me, sometimes a complete word salad, but it was recommended to my by a guy with similar taster to me; he loved it. There's a scene with Jesus and Hitler in the back of a car - if that speaks to you, I'd suggest that one as well. Just not my thing.

>all that manga
>Veeky Forumserature

I just read the first couple of pages, and this does seem very, very trippy, and also very, very interesting. Cheers user, I will cherish this conversation. And now I am off to bed.

I felt the same way about that book.

Parts of it were really cool, but I'm not into surrealism enough to read 300 pages of some guy facerolling on a keyboard. Most of the book is random babbling and he contradicts whatever scrap of a story might be there every two pages.

It could have been really good if he toned it back a bit and wasn't unintelligible for it's own sake.

bimp

All that manga. lels you disgusting virgin weeaboo.

Props for the Trump MAGA sign though.

>The picture of Dorian Gray
Is the book as gay as the movie? Fucking degeneracy.

Could you recommend me some manga?

I don't really read it any anymore, those are left over from when I sold most of it off. Do you already have manga you like? If you want general recs, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, Ai-Ren, Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and Petshop of Horrors are some favorites. That taste doesn't really correlate with the lit there though.

Though if anyone wants some secondhand cringe, here's my bookshelf from my teenage years.

>The Bible
Whatever works for you.

The only cringe there is the big Naruto fig.

The version I read had all the gay shit edited out of it

Not the empty snack boxes lining the top?

are those limited edition juice boxes

Hadn't noticed that...

I like the Stargate Zat gun. This shelf belongs on /a/ or /co/, though. Not a bad thing, just not Veeky Forums.

They aren't. Everything on the top shelf is readily available at any asian market.

Aside from everything else, seeing an Eragon book on your shelf makes me want to fucking vomit.

>Ian Fleming
my niqqa

My paperbacks are mostly all in boxes. Who the hell displays every novel they've ever bought and read on bookshelves anymore? Are you going to read them again sometime soon and need to be reminded that you have them? Bookshelves are for reference books.

If you're a literature professor or grad student, the novels are your reference books.

I think I would probably kill myself if my "reference books" were all works of fiction.

If all you do with them is keep them in boxes, why don't you just throw or give them away? What good do they do you in boxes?

I don't throw things away if they have inherent value. I do give books away sometimes, but who says I know people willing to take hundreds of paperbacks at once? Bookshelf space is limited, but I have entire rooms in my house devoted to storage. There's nothing wrong with storing things that you're not using actively.

I didn't say exclusively, though. Most of the shelves in these threads have non-fiction as well.

So anons, how do you organize your bookshelves?

By size? Nonfiction/Fiction? Alphabetically?

By country of author's origin, then by date of author's birth. Non-fiction and anthologies are separate. Anthologies go by the geographical thing when I can. Non-fic is by subject, from myth/folklore to philosophy, literature-related, reference, travel, hobbies, food, auto/biography, history then art.

i really really like this picture david, where did you find it?

? He's not. The Tuttle version is one print

I took inspiration from the wiki. Literary fiction, genre fiction and nonfiction (in this order) are further separated by region (US, Russia, Japan, etc (alphabetically)), then by format (poetry, drama, novellas, etc (alphabetically)), then theme (depressing, humor, postmodernism, etc (alphabetically)), then by date of publication. I use the same categories in the wiki.

Why author's birth over date published?

It'd get too tedious to figure out the date published for every work I have on my shelves, since I have more than a thousand now. I'm already sometimes lax when I integrate new stuff in. It would just end up a mess if I was that precise, since I wouldn't stick with it.

I see. I have less than 100 books but it was still a pain for me organizing them.

As long as you had some literature on another shelf... It's beautiful user. Minus the figure and the boxes(get a mini fridge or something).

I guess the vague "organization" is political/anarchist theory in the upper left, Zizek and communism below that, pedagogy and lit theory below that, hardcovers bottom left;
African-american lit in the upper right, PoMo crap under that, early american under that, hardcover on the bottom right.

so much stuff is out of place, though, and there's so little room that it's kind of arbitrary until classes are over and I can rearrange this shitshow.

Haha, that's almost ten years old now. I did have a mini fridge there, that was a garage apartment. But those were empty snack boxes, "decorations" and no longer edible.

I'll just show half of one for now.

i'm much in line with this

rgr, i have 11 pics incoming

actually i have 6

>celebrity books in hardcover

Christ, is it even possible to be more pleb?

Sheesh. Have you read all of these?

Most of my books are at my parent's place since I don't have much room in my current apartment, but I mostly have science fiction, some fantasy, a smattering of some other stuff, and lots of Computer Science and math textbooks. I actually plan on expanding my textbook collection once I graduate and get a job. I'd like to replace some of my favorites that I only have digital (pirate) copies of with actual printed editions (only for a select few, textbooks are stupidly expensive.)

Fuck outta here!!!