Hey, this guy is pretty cool!

Hey, this guy is pretty cool!

he's a sage

We don't like racists here

I guess you could describe him as 'cool' and he has 'cool' ideas but he's a terrible writer

I would say that his style of writing, while not "good" by literary measures, is part of the appeal

He is an early 20th century conservative pulp author who is clinging to Victorian style. His writing style is part of the charm, like a shitty local painting of the sea where you visited when you were a kid.

Check em

Wait, he wasn't a 19th century author? What the FUCK?

Jesus user, youre right...he was born in 1890... jesus unexisting christ

This is like Virginia Woolf all over again. I need to sit down, Im sweating like an eskimo

Yes.

He's alright as far as genre fiction writers go.

go back to /b/ stinking pleb

Yes, yes he is pretty cool.

inspiring, i laughed, i cried

He's unbearable, I agree with , but I tolerate his works because people seem to get butthurt over a guy from the 19th century being racist.

Can we talk about Lovecraftian Themes...?

>Everything I loved had been dead for two centuries—or, as in the case of Graeco-Roman classicism, for two milenniums. I am never a part of anything around me—in everything I am an outsider. Should I find it possible to crawl backward through the Halls of Time to that age which is nearest my own fancy, I should doubtless be bawled out of the coffee-houses for heresy in religion, or else lampooned by John Dennis till I found refuge in the deep, silent Thames, that covers many another unfortunate. Yes, I seem to be a decided pessimist!—But pray do not think, gentlemen, that I am utterly forlorn and misanthropick creature. … Despite my solitary life, I have found infinite joy in books and writing, and am by far too much interested in the affairs of the world to quit the scene before Nature shall claim me. Though not a participant in the Business of life; I am, like the character of Addison and Steele, an impartial (or more or less impartial) Spectator, who finds not a little recreation in watching the antics of those strange and puny puppets called men. A sense of humour has helped me to endure existence; in fact, when all else fails, I never fail to extract a sarcastic smile from the contemplation of my own empty and egotistical career!

I love this man. I've never related to another human being as I have to him.

I think the work he inspired was far more important than the work he produced, honestly.

I enjoy his writing, but I can't get through too much of it, and I feel it drags awfully as soon as it's longer than a brief short story. And yes, he was a pretty awful sexist/racist piece of shit.

Gladly. Which one in particular?

He also tried to get into the military, but got rejected due to medical reasons.

>Born in le wrong generation

>racist, sexist piece of shit
Opinion discarded
Stop forming your opinions from your emotional frailty

He's written some of the scariest pieces of writing I've read. I like horror fiction, specifically short stories, but most everything is either ghosts or home invasion. While he does have his fair share of just random spooky shit happening, he also wrote stories that really captured a feeling of genuine dread that many other authors miss.

Most people seem to think that the horror genre is just about putting you on edge for the evening, making you jump at shadows. Nobody today seems to be able to portray that feeling of genuine fear of impending doom like him.

>The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

- Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Ignatius Reilly is that you?

Based

Looks like something Alexander Pope would have written if he had Down Syndrome.

Get out.

We don't like r̶a̶c̶i̶s̶t̶s russophobes here

His legacy continues and he has inspired generations of authors and artists of various mediums. Its true. He wasn't Hemingway. And his prose will never be considered above high school level (damn, he was a pulp writer who struggled with hunger), but he has left a imprint in this world none of us will ever accomplish either because of his themes or because simply his stories aren't copyrighted so you faggots can write a book with Cthulhu as the villain and sell at least one copy. He is basically the open source of horror.

Also, its a fun read.

You're expendable garbage, you stupid fuck!

I kek every time.