Homemade Sauerkraut

Does anyone have any experience with homemade sauerkraut? Any good recipes or advice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CtX9uQi7xeM
vikalinka.com/2016/05/14/homemade-russian-sauerkraut/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I make tons of 'kraut every fall.
Do you have any specific questions?
I'll post some recipes later.

Salt
Cabbage

1. Salt the cabbage
2. Mash it into a jar
3. Put it in a dark place for a week

I've only made German-style Kraut once but I've made Kimchi (the spicer Korean version) many times, as well as other ferments. Got two different batches of hot sauce, and one of beet greens going right now.

Anything specific you're looking for?

Just a newbie looking for a good recipe. I've never done any fermentation, or much food prep for that matter. The recipes I find online just say cabbage, water, salt, jar, and time.

I'd be happy to receive any advice!

Regular German-style. I prefer an acidic taste, not spicy.

Google is your friend.

-wild fermentation
-Sandor Katz
-culturesforhealth.com

Also, how necessary are caraway seeds? Does it significantly change the flavor, or just the appearance?

Yeah, it's very simple really. Best advice I have for noobs is:

1) Make sure everything is really clean before you start. Wash your hands thoroughly. Make sure all the jars, bowls, utensils, you use are very clean--or better yet, sterilized with boiling water or 5% bleach.

2) You want a weight of some sort to press down on the vegetables and keep them below the surface of the liquid that they will release. You can buy dedicated "fermenting crocks" with special weights, or you can do a DIY solution. Plastic baggies filled with water are a common choice.

>-Sandor Katz
2nding this. I use his book as my go-to for researching new ferment projects.

> advice

keep your cabbage under the brine and you have nothing to worry about.

seriously, making sauerkraut is idiot proof.

youtube.com/watch?v=CtX9uQi7xeM

I more or less followed the instructions in this video for my first batch and was really satisfied with the result. Probably would have started eating sauerkraut sooner had I known how easy it is to make.

Pic related, my second batch after a 1 and a half week ferment on the kitchen counter.

shread cabbage
put a layer of cabbage, salt it, pound it and reapeat

pound it untill water appears. put some cloth then woden borads then pressing stone

frement in cool place with no sun about a month

3 table spoons salt, 5 pounds cabbage, let sit in bowl to wilt down, mash down in jar, juice will cover, if not add boiled salt water, weight down with one piece of cabbage leaf covered with a sterile jar of salt water or a sterile rock, glass weight (anything to keep it under the juice).

Good saurkraut is made AFTER you ferment it, not before, so don't worry about getting crazy with spices or anything, because you can just add what you want after it's fermented, and you're heating it up on the stove.

>ctrl + f "carrot"
>0 of 0
what???

how long does it have to ferment before it loses all its greenness and becomes white?

you actually do not overferment it unlike the german kind, it should be crunchy rather than soggy

vikalinka.com/2016/05/14/homemade-russian-sauerkraut/

I got a big ol mandolin and a moonshine jug a few years ago for it. I'll do a thread for it this year maybe so I make a ton

Mine always turns rubbery, is it not enough water?

>have exact same jar
thanks china

If you want to make sauerkraut regularly, you should invest in a proper sauerkrauttopf.

The lid is a water based lock which allows the fumes of the fermentation to vent without letting in fresh air.

I own a pretty big one which holds up to 40 kilos of sauerkraut. My family uses it every year. We let the kraut sit in there for 6 weeks and then use it up during another 6 weeks. After that you have to remove it from the brine or it will get too sauer.

Also, add juniper berries to the fermenting kraut for better taste.

How much does the kraut change between 1 and 6 weeks? At what point does the taste normalise

Yeah, all people used one of theses in 1000 B.C.

People always forget to mention the average temperature they are working in. For example where I live it's always >25ÂșC and the sauerkraut will be ready faster.

where I live:
>7-11 days
tastes good
>11-21
tastes too acetic, loses the freshness
>21+
gets good again

love me some kraut