The other "eat cheaper" thread is a fucking shit show

The other "eat cheaper" thread is a fucking shit show.

im a college student and i need to start eating better because i constantly feel like shit and im getting fat. I make ~150$ a week. 20 is for gas. and i have a few other expenses. I usually have 90 or 100$ for the week to myself.

Only thing i know i cant eat is beans. I gag pretty much every time trying to eat them. I have no idea why, its always been that way.

To give an idea of local prices. i live about 15 minutes outside of pittsburgh.

dude, cmon just drop out of college if you cant figure this out. Get lots of frozen veggies, and some fresh ones that you will use soon, or go to the store more often and get them when you need them.
You can get rice, tuna, certain cuts of meat, whole chickens for very cheap.
>This isn't some great mystery, use your problem solving skills fool

Also, veggies are far cheaper than fruit. fruit has to be exported from certain parts of the world where it will grow. It has a high price for the amount of food. Only buy a little fruit, veggies are the cheapest

sell your car and get a bike you fat fuck, will save you a lot of money and you'll get exercise

>ramen
>rice
>what this guy said
>canned fruit or bananas if you have to
>drink a lot of water for all the sodium youll eat

Fruedian slip is what they call it. It's like saying underpants instead of underpass when referring to an incident on the highway.

Anyhow, I had a Freurdian slip recently. I was seated on a flight to Pittsburg. A guy next to me said the customer service representative had great tits. He remarked, "I'd like a Picket to Titsburg." I laughed and told him the same exact thing happened to me.

This morning, instead of asking my wife for corn flakes, I accidentally said, "You ruined my life, you filthy whore."

yes ramen is very cheap, the secret is to add eggs, which can be extremely cheap, to it. That way you get some actual nutrients when you eat it

This

Hit up the farmer markets that are gonna start springing up around campus and schenley park now.

do not buy more than you need though, so many Americans buy all these veggies when they go shopping and they never eat them

I drink lots of vodka. That cleans out my system, and even cleans my teeth (I haven’t brushed in years, and haven’t had a cavity since).

I also eat a liverwurst sandwich pretty much every day – to counterbalance the effects the vodka has on my liver. I make my sandwiches on seeded rye (because it’s the healthiest bread), with mayo (because eggs are the best protein; I use kewpie, because the msg makes it taste better), coarse mustard (good for the white blood cells), zucchini pickles (because they taste good), and a bunch of baby spinach (just for filler; it could honestly be left out).

I also eat a lot of canned fish (mostly sardines, but also the occasional fancy smoked oysters) on saltines. They give you all your essential amino acids, and provide a nice opportunity to try out various hot sauces, which are generally very low in calories, while high in flavor and immensely prodigious to healthiness.

Aside from that, I drink large amounts of water (anywhere between ice-cold to slightly chilled) every day, always through a straw, and sometimes with a lemon wedge.

To each their own, I say, but I’m just shy of 30 and am doing better than most of you.

>i can't feed myself on $40/wk
Go to your local SSA office and apply for disability for your obvious retardation, then. Also, leave university because mongoloids aren't generally capable of knowledge retention all that much to begin with, so the whole experience will be wasted on you.
I'm surprised you even got into university to begin with since I'm sure the only thing you got on your SAT was tard drool. But then, today it's more about whether or not you can pay rather than merit.

Anyway, I recommend you contact The Emmaus Community, which provide daycare, including food and lodging, for people with severe intellectual and developmental disabilities such as yourself. This way, you'll no longer need to work or waste your time in classes that are obviously doing fuck-all to improve your intellectual abilities. I'm sure the gruel they'll spoonfeed you won't be so bad. Good luck, 'tardanon!

The question is, what do your kitchen supplies consist of? Do you have an oven and a stove, or are you stuck with a shitty microwave?

I don't think he knows the difference between them, the poor simpleton. To him, they're all "the cooker."

go on budget bytes
oggle over beth

then look for recipes you like and cook them

Stop blowing 40 dollars a week on weed and you will start feeling better

>havent brushed in years
>havent had a cavity
>vodka
what the literal mother fuck? either you have dentures or havent been to the dentist to check for cavities in years, because i tried vodka and have had two cavities in two years w/ no brushing

nobody do this please

>I also eat a liverwurst sandwich pretty much every day – to counterbalance the effects the vodka has on my liver.
That's hilarious

I feel about the same since I stopped smoking weed. Only difference is that I can eat now without being high.

It's on one of the banners currently being voted on, but I doubt too many people will pick up on it.

Ramen, or cup o noodles if you want to get fancy. As other user said, add egg to it. It's possible to microwave that shit too, egg and all. I've never personally done it, but I know a guy who knows another guy, and that guy has totally done it and swears by it.
Potatoes. Just get a ten pound bag, or bigger. You can make smothered potatoes, baked potatoes, French fried potaters, hash brown, fucking anything. Remember Bubba from Forest Gump? That who shrimp monologue he had? It's like that but for potatoes.
Rice, but honestly, rice is depressing. There are many different kinds, but I personally like white rice. If you have some leftovers, or want to get fancy, you can make some homemade sushi rolls.
Frozen foods. Seriously. If you're by yourself you don't need a huge feast. If you go to the right store, pot pies are a buck each, as well as TV dinners. Frozen pizzas are a buck too. There is no possible way to make them homemade for cheaper, unless you do it in bulk, which may save you more money over time, but you better have the storage for it.
Go to Costco and buy a gallon of dicks and eat all of them for having made this thread for the thousandth time. Just go eat all of the dicks that you can. Eat em till your little tummy can't take any more, and then eat a few more just in cas

>teeth so healthy you need a straw to drink cold drinks

eat pork, it cheap. If you live in Pittsburgh look up recipes for Scrapple or Goetta, super duper cheap breakfast food that will survive you for a month if you spend a few hours making it.

If he's spending $20/week on gas he's not going to get where he needs to go with only a bicycle.

Rice + legumes is absurdly cheap and decently palatable if you can get over the up-front cost of some decent spices. You'll also want to buy them dried and in bulk to maximise value, but you'll wanna check you can eat like Dhal or bean stew or whatever. Apart from that it's a question of what's cheap in your area. If whole chickens are cheap (which is common) you can learn how to cut them up on youtube - breasts, drumsticks, wings, then stock from the carcass, etc.

>i didn't read the op, but here: lemme give you my completely useless opinion anyway
You are everything wrong with everything.

Here's my advice.

Make casseroles.
Get yourself some cheap meat: Reduced Sausages, Reduced Chicken, Reduced Pork.

Then get some cheap veg. Cabbage, Carrots, Parsnips, Green Beans. Whatever you can find that's either cheap or has been reduced.

Chop the veg up into fine chunks/shreds, part-fry them in some oil to soften them up a bit.
Chop up the meat and fry it in another pan with a little bit of oil to stop it sticking.

Add it all to a roasting dish, and either make your own or add a casserole sauce (I use chicken casserole packet mixes you just add some water to because you can usually get 2 for a pound and I'm lazy).

Then you cover it up and cook it for an hour or so.

You can even make some home-made dumplings with some Atora and flour.

And then voila, you got a hearty meal on the cheap, you can easily cool and store/freeze.
You can just make up a big batch and then store whatever you don't eat.

There are legumes that aren't beans

Eg. Try lentils, chickpeas, or split peas. Nutritionally similar to beans but different taste. All cheap if you buy them dry.

eat more economically

is what i tell myself which is just cut calories, watch your sugar and bad fat intake

i eat about 2000~ a day and i'm steadily losing weight

down from about 335 to 320 in about 3-4 months

Lentils are amazing in curries. You can make your own humus with chickpeas. And getting them by the tin is cheap.

>Only thing i know i cant eat is beans.
what kind of beans? I make my own bean chili and It's delicious and I eat it every day. baked beans in a can are disgusting, though. Is that what you're eating?

>members of fabaceae, which literally means 'beans' aren't beans
Fucking idiots, the lot of you.

heres my advice:

bag yourself an asian wife who can cook or teach you how to make these tasty veggie meals

You can buy shitloads of rice and beans for a small amount of money, just buy in bulk.

Many stores sell 25kg bags.

4/10, played out the gimmick too soon, but provoked a fair few responses

"Bean" means Phaseolus + things that used to be Phaseolus but got reclassified.

Nice try, but no.

>certain cuts of meat
Which? Family has money problems and I can't convince my dad to get rid of cable but I bet none of us would notice a big difference if we went for cheaper meats.

I feed myself for $40 a week

In the morning I have coffee and eggs

For lunch I will have a small salad

For dinner i have chicken thighs or breast with some sort of rice dish and veggies

I usually eat around 1200 calories a day because I'm short though

nice bait and dubs faggot.

Everything about this post reeks of being underage as fuck.

As has been mentioned on Veeky Forums before: the first step to losing weight on a budget is to stop being a picky eater.

From there you have the option on filling up on all sorts of cheap, fiber-rich food: apples, bananas, kale, broccoli, various greens, bell peppers, rice, rolled oats, pork, turkey.

The fiber is important as it can make you feel full and satisfied, but not to the point of sweating and hating yourself (as if you've just eaten a shit load of KFC).

Chicken thighs tend to be really cheap. Pork shoulder (often labeled as "Boston butt"), too; I've seen it as low as $1.99/lb. at the local butcher shop. I'm not sure what else, off the top of my head.