/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Posthumanism edition. What's your favorite work of post- or transhuman SF?

Previously: >Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/3v2oXAY.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg (embed)
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg (embed)
>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg (embed)
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masterworks
bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/why-publish-with-baen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>(embed)

Shit. That'll teach me to just ctrl+v from the last thread.

>weeb

Any fantasy with a little girl protagonist?

There's plenty of weird scifi, but what is some good weird fantasy?

The Iron Dragon's Daughter.
It's different in a good way
Also most stuff on the Masterwork list is good, but not everything on it is weird
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Masterworks

Somebody had also linked some sort of meta-fantasy before which had a really low rating on goodreads.
But those people were complaining it was too complex, too meta.
It's weird, but I don't know if it's any good.

Top 3 fantasy books \ series of all time?

fellowship of the rings
the two towers
return of the king

any fantasy with a black protagonist?

can't a brotha get some representation? smdh

Rivers of London

Also is there a black female protagonist?

Preferably a little girl

Lions of Al Rassan
The Buried Giant
Lies of Locke Lamora

>black protagonist
>black

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Anything else master?

Book of the New Sun
Children of Hurin
Gormenghast

September from the Fairyland Series is black! The cover art depicts her as white, but it also depicts the blue skinned water spirit as being tan.

Any fantasy where the protagonist can switch genders? Or is cursed and turned into a little girl or something?

Write it yourself!

the Odyssey
Dune
Anathem

FANTASY
A
N
T
A
S
Y

debate me

Bring it on son

But I'm not a writer..

Stop being such a tremendous fucking faggot.

You shit up every fucking thread with this crap.

I'm not that guy and my request is completely different dude.

The fellowship of the king
The two rings
Return of the tower

Which Fantasy/Sci Fi book character is the most like Donald Trump?

So be one!

Severian

All three books I mentioned fantastical elements that require suspension of disbelief, therefore are of the fantasy genre

Do NOT put Fantasy and Sci Fi in the same sentence ever again you faggot, it's a different genre !

Not interested. I'm pretty good with coming up with draft ideas and such, but actual writing and refining over years is boring to me.

Great so theres two of them now

Take your fetishes over to d and stop fucking up our thread

DELET THIS

Any Sci Fi where the protagonist can switch genders? Or is cursed and turned into a little girl or something?

That isn't really a fetish, don't you think it'd be interesting as hell if protagonist did something, and a witch or something cursed him into being a girl? That concept really makes me want to read about it.

Why? I love reading Fantasy and Sci Fi books!

Arioch, beautiful lord of chaos

DELETE THIS

Fantasy, Science Fiction, and Horror

There's no substantial difference, only aesthetic. His voice is too systematic and elegant for Trump.
Corwin from Amber is closer because he's a to the point use everything to get what I want Machiavellian type of guy.

Havelock Vetinari

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DRAMA TV SHOW AND ACTION TV SHOW?

IT'S NOT THE SAME GENRE!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This is my first time going on this general did I make a mistake suggesting him a series?

(a series that is also one of my favorites)

What is steampunk then?

>This is my first time going on this general
Wow, you are not seeing us at our best.

What series? My post has no responses except "Write it yourself"...

A terrible name. There's nothing remotely punkish about it.

It's more closer to what's the difference between a drama set in space and a drama set in the Middlearth.

Are there any real life / urban fantasy that aren't trashy with females posing on the covers?

The first Anita Blake (Guilty Pleasures) is a good read
It also ends nicely so you don't ever have to touch the other books because everything is handled in the first book.

A Game of Thrones is both tho

Is Locke Lamora even fantasy? Don't spoil me if possible but I'm 100~ pages in and as far as I can tell there is no fantastical elements. It's just a bunch of dudes, funny banter and heists. Not complaining as the dialogue is pretty fun, just wondering if it's ever gonna be more.

There's a bit of magic, mostly remnants of things that don't exist anymore.

Michael Cisco

>Foundation and Earth
>Solaria
Feels like a weird point in time to be finally reading this bit.

It might've been to the other user friend

I mean I didn't exactly have high expectations about the thread mate, yall are fine.

Vurt by Jeff Noon

Winds of Winter when? ;_;

Winds of Winter never.

>fantasy with a black protagonist
If you count magical realism it's practically a trope.

Not for bruvas tho, most seem to be black women.

>tfw A Method For Madness is never coming out
fuck you David Gerrold

I M A R O

Yes there's magic. It figures quite prominently in the 3rd book especially.

Not as if it's salvageable.

Hogg

I've been hearing good things about this series from many sources I respect. I can't believe I listened to the hype, I just finished the first book and it was shit.

I like his world, and lore and even his specific plot wasn't bad but he writes like a 10 year old. Seriously he butchered the whole fucking book with it.

wtf why is this so highly regarded.

Most fantasy readers don't care about prose, just ideas. Sanderson doesn't care about polishing it because it doesn't matter at the end of the day. People still buy his books in droves

Well I stuck with it and I'm reading The Dread Wyrm, the third book in The Red Knight series.

Im just starting it, but after a shaky start it got really good very quickly.

It's far better than either of the previous titles.

I only read it because of Kelsier

Fucking Kelsier

I actually don't think I read past the first book because of Salt

He gets better, honestly. The Wax and Wayne series is markedly better than the first trilogy in every single way. Plus the concept of 'twinborn' and mixing his magics is refreshing.

Power through it for Alloy of Law. That series is beautiful.

Just finished reading pic related, here's my opinion in case anybody cares:

The book is not actually bad, I just couldn't get much into his universe. I hardly ever found the awe in reading it like I found when I read Clark's The Gardens of Paradise. I think the world building was just lazy. For a future where humans have colonized Mars and a great number of asteroids, it is rather shocking not to find a single sentence referring robots or A.I, and for that matter, any kind of cool sci-fi technology. It was 2016 with ships. I haven't read much sci-fi books, but wondering about the future is what I like the most about them. Had he taken 40 more pages into describing more of the world and it could earn a few easy points.

Besides that, the characters were solid. The plot was good, yet lacking some collateral points of view. A war is going on and is like , I don't know. Just couldn't feel it.

Still, 8/10. I'll read the next one and see if the series is worth it.

Feel free to discuss this, you are my only reading friends.

but my favorite character won't be in it so whats the point? :(

I just finished listening to Neuromancer.

>barely had any idea what was going on most of the time
>at points i had mental blackouts, but later on i could still recognize a part i previously heard

This helped a great deal with immersion, but now i'm not sure if i should properly read it sometime, or if that's just the way the book is.

Also, about to start Metro 2033, what do you guys think of it?

Any books with girls in it? I'm looking for recommendations

>“This book is a beta from an indie making magic spell apps. It's an interactive guide to artisanal potions. This book is the first person you know with a crazy realist 3D tattoo. This book is a hipster and a nerd and when you read it you'll know what I mean.”– Maureen McHugh, award-winning author of China Mountain Zhang

>“Everything you could ask for in a debut novel – a fresh look at science fiction’s most cherished memes, ruthlessly shredded and lovingly reassembled.” ―Cory Doctorow

>Nobody here is participating in based Paolini's /r/fantasy AMA

Plebs, the lot of you

Fucking pedos..

The Hunger Games and Divergent are pretty damn good.

Too vague. Please tell us what you'd like to read about.

DELET THIS

>cuck fantasy

Plz user

Recommend me some good Christian fantasy and SciFi writers.

Alright then, what book is it?

>implying I don't have it open in the other tab

Mistborn

CS Lewis is the obvious one, although the Perelandra trilogy isn't that great. Also Chesterton, PKD, and Gene Wolfe.

Finish Bands of Mourning.

Then read Secret History.

Thank me later.

Google says All the Birds in the Sky, from some girl? named Charlie Jane Andrews.

>it gets compared to Cloud Atlas and William Gibson's works

I'm triggered.

John of Patmos. But be warned: his shit is pretty trippy.

>The Wax and Wayne series is markedly better than the first trilogy in every single way

>Every single way
>Shoehorned in stupid feminist ideology
>Much less interesting than the first trilogy
>Hey did you notice how strong and smart the females are in this book

Yes, >girl in the /r9k/ sense

Reading the blurbs reminded me that most SFF writers are hopeless at discussing books

>Has a female subject to the changing of the times
>more often than not a pawn for social change in a scenario that is sound and not insulting to the reader
>end of a western era with the emergence of a new culture, new way of life and new issues
>has one strong female character that gets screen time

"feminism is ruining books, guys. this woman is a main character and more than just a love interest. someone call the cops abloo bloo bloo"

to
Also back to /pol/ with ye, lad.

Yeah I should have expected it as I was reading a fantasy novel.

Cory Doctorow has shit taste, and half the time he's just recommending his personal friends anyway.

You might wanna check out Brad Torgersen. The Chaplain’s War apparently has pretty heavy Christian themes.

bradrtorgersen.wordpress.com/2014/03/16/why-publish-with-baen/

Alright lad, will check them out, please don't go breaking my heart though.

I read the secret history after finishing the first mistborn book
I think I fucked up a bit
i thought it felt so damn rushed, until I finished it, checked out the wiki and realized you're supposed to read at least the entire trilogy