£10,000

U. P: up

Stop it Richie Goulding!! Stop torturing me!!

Boylan's getting it up?

You pee up!

Yupee yup

I certainly up my P when I read Molly Bloom's dearly (even divinely) dirty soliloquy. James, you dirty boy.

A.E.I.O.U.

Say 'eye' and spell 'cup' aloud and then give your thoughts on ice cream.

eye see you pee & I like it!

Was Joyce overrated as a humorist?

John Madden John Madden John Madden

Underrated.

Mr Bloom with his stick gently vexed the thick sand at his foot. Write a message for her. Might remain. What?

I.

Some flatfoot tramp on it in the morning. Useless. Washed away. Tide comes here. Saw a pool near her foot. Bend, see my face there, dark mirror, breathe on it, stirs. All these rocks with lines and scars and letters. O, those transparent! Besides they don't know. What is the meaning of that other world. I called you naughty boy because I do not like.

AM. A.

No room. Let it go.

Mr Bloom effaced the letters with his slow boot. Hopeless thing sand. Nothing grows in it. All fades. No fear of big vessels coming up here. Except Guinness's barges. Round the Kish in eighty days. Done half by design.

He flung his wooden pen away. The stick fell in silted sand, stuck. Now if you were trying to do that for a week on end you couldn't. Chance. We'll never meet again. But it was lovely. Goodbye, dear. Thanks. Made me feel so young.

Short snooze now if I had. Must be near nine. Liverpool boat long gone.. Not even the smoke. And she can do the other. Did too. And Belfast. I won't go. Race there, race back to Ennis. Let him. Just close my eyes a moment. Won't sleep, though. Half dream. It never comes the same. Bat again. No harm in him. Just a few.

O sweety all your little girlwhite up I saw dirty bracegirdle made me do love sticky we two naughty Grace darling she him half past the bed met him pike hoses frillies for Raoul de perfume your wife black hair heave under embon señorita young eyes Mulvey plump bubs me breadvan Winkle red slippers she rusty sleep wander years of dreams return tail end Agendath swoony lovey showed me her next year in drawers return next in her next her next.

A bat flew. Here. There. Here. Far in the grey a bell chimed. Mr Bloom with open mouth, his left boot sanded sideways, leaned, breathed. Just for a few

Cuckoo
Cuckoo
Cuckoo.

RSTLNE

holla holla get $

I like this, but i didn't find it funny, except the chance part.

all of chapter 12(?) actually had me rolling on the floor laughing when i realized gerty's mysterious foreign admirer was bloom masturbating behind a rock

The joke is that Bloom is a cuck.

Is the O sweety paragraph a dream?

Aha, i had no idea the term was so old

only 1914 man

Did you think /pol/ invented it?

>a1250 Owl & Nightingale 1544 Heo nah iweld, Þa heo hine makie cukeweld.

I was referring to 1200, but i thought it was a fairly modern term.

That's 13

Chapter 12 is the funniest chapter, though imo

the idea of adultery has always been a big thing for humans

who was the narrator? who was the cyclops? what was the point of the shifts into mock epic?

my theory:
1. no idea
2. the irish nationalist - one perspective, one eye, ireland (seems obvious)
3. the self aggrandizing nature of drunken storytelling & the self aggrandizing nature of single minded nationalism

1. I don't think it really matters who the narrator's identity is, since that isn't really the point of the chapter. I believe he reappears in the Circe chapter as "The Nameless One" during the dream sequences, anyway.

2. The Citizen is the obvious parallel to the cyclops. I feel like all the pub patrons were meant to be seen as giants if you compare their dialogue and actions to Bloom's. He barely gets a word in edgewise, and all the blocks of mock epic prose help serve to make him seem even smaller.

3. See above, but you've summed up its other purposes as well.