Recommend me books with heavy atmosphere, so heavy it feels like a Tarkovsky movie

Recommend me books with heavy atmosphere, so heavy it feels like a Tarkovsky movie

samuel beckett novels are kind of like nostalghia

yeah i've heard people say that. Which ones do you recommend?

i've only read molloy and malone dies. need to get to the unnamable soon.

i think both nostalghia and those books are so minimal that they're practically a rorschach test for the reader. you'll get a lot out of just considering what sticks out to you.

do not believe mike, he cannot read

The modernists - Faulkner, Woolf, some Joyce - come close in terms of the drifting stream of consciousness and sleepy impressionistic atmosphere, but I've never read anything where that atmosphere itself feels like Tarkovsky's mystic countryside. Proust doesn't exactly read like a Tarkovsky film stylistically, but you get a lot of the same themes and explorations of consciousness.

Can I ask if you just finished Tarkovsky's filmography? I remember some years back when I was just discovering art film seeing Nostalghia in theatre and going through a year or so of Tarkovsky obsession. After tracking down and watching everything he had it was this kind of post-Tarkovsky depression. Had to find something else like his work. Antonioni? Tarr? Bergman? Ceylan? Nope, nope, nope, nope, ... eventually went looking for Tarkovsky-esque literature to no avail. Ended up getting really into classical painting for a while ...

Anyways your post just gives me a laugh thinking someone else might be in the same place ...

1.5g shrooms
.5g opium

go for a walk in the woods with some reefer listening to the stalker soundtrack and think about how much you love(d) mom

Yes i'm in the same spot as you. Listening to Bach is helping tho.

You should seek out filmmakers that utilize long takes. Like Bela Tarr, for example. His films feel similar to Tarkovsky's in atmosphere.

He mentioned Tarr in his post

The Four-Gated City by Doris Lessing

It's comfy, slightly dystopian, and rolls though the decades following an alternate and near apocalyptic second world war in truly beautiful prose

Oh, missed that. Then Jancso and Angelopoulos.

I don't know Tarkovsky *queue angry mob,* but I see someone suggested Proust might interest you, and I know him, so I'll give my suggestion. Also, you said, "heavy atmosphere," ....

Haruki Murakami
>Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
>Kafka on the Shore

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Krasznahorkai despite having listed Tarr.

And that's pretty much the entire list. I know a lot of people here have traditionally answered Dostoevsky to this question but the similarities are superficial.

H E A V Y
E
A
V
Y

You seem like a reasonable human being, how should I get into Proust? I've never read anything of him before, but I enjoy some Murakami

Wuthering Heights, maybe?

What about Reygadas?

murakami might be as much of an opposite of tarkovsky as there could be

chink - SLAV
new age atheist - ORTHODOXY
adhd speed - MEDITATIVE
sloppy - TIGHT
inanimate - HUMAN
smug - SELFLESS
pop culture - THE GLORY OF GOD AND LIFE

Wordsworth poetry!!!!

>smaller than a Jap

lol tinikovsky

Gogol is the correct answer btw.

Swann's Way is all I've read by him. You can get it free on Gutenberg, which I did, and it was well worth it.

Like I said, I don't know Tarkovsky, but you don't seem to understand Murakami at all.

The mushrooms AND opium aren't enough...You still need pot? Good grief, man.

I was at home in my ultramodern apartment in my green striped tie letting the pasta simmer and keeping an eye over my shoulder on the television when Gobaru Nikanormo rang on the telephone. I told her I wasn't home without really realizing why when she phased through the wall and started sucking me off. I busted a nut right as the Hawaii Five-O theme climaxed on TV. Me and Gobaru Nikanomo shared some of the ramen and then I remembered my first job where I worked at a bowling alley and shined cowboy boot bowlign shoes all day.

Anything by Joyce Carol Oates.

Pleb, kill yourself.

watch Kis Uykusu aka Winter Sleep by Nuri Bilge Ceylan. it definitely has a debt to Tarkovsky.

Correct answer.

Watch Bresson, particularly Mouchette, Au Hasard Balthazaar and Diary of a Country Priest

where to start with her?

>queue angry mob
it's a doggy dog world

I don't know what to recommend, but it's interesting to find a place where people discuss about things I like, and they propose another things I like as suggestions.

Never happened in my real life. I do not find the atmosphere of Tarkovskiy's movies heavy. And I did not read that many books lately. "As I lay dying" seemed heave to me, but maybe not to other people. I did not finish the book, as the characters started to display behaviour which doesn't seem natural to me.

Maybe he really did mean queue, it's good to save angry mobs for later

i like you

Hipster, you first.

Gene Wolfe

Maybe DeLillo?

No, I didn't. I did mean "cue." Nice catch.

You're reading murakami and out of every single author existent in the world you mention him, which is the #1 dog shit hipster author.

Only hipster is you "queue angry mob"

I said you don't understand him, not that you haven't read anything by him.

I was 16 when I first read Murakami, at the suggestion of two of my close friends and their fathers. One is a Yale graduate professor, who is fluent in Japanese and spent a great deal of time in Japan, and the other an ex-MIT professor and one of the foremost linguists still living, who is also fluent in multiple languages (and even his son is fluent in four - among them Japanese).

Now, years later, I'm also fluent in Japanese (though not at their levels), and very versed in Japan's history and culture.

So I hope you understand why I'll take my own, and their, assessments of Murakami's work over yours.

OP asked for a recommendation and I gave one. Take it or leave it.

I read Murakami in HS. The novels I suggested are, to me, heavy in atmosphere - as OP asked for.

Murakami receives too much flack because he's "mainstream". I think a lot of his stuff is definitely worth a read.

Thank you.

LMAO.

Gas yourself, seriously

out of your entire fedora collection, which is your favorite?

Can't believe no one mentioned Great Expectations

my diary desu senpai

It literally became a Tarkovsky movie

This would be a good opportunity for you to read the old testament, you know.

Actually the atmosphere at the beginning of Wind-Up was pretty cool. It captured the quiet terror of an empty suburb at mid-day when everyone's at work pretty well. Also when Kumiko vanished and Toru slowly realised she was never going to come back I really felt the feels.

Sorry, I won't let mankind go into decline that easily.

I haven't read Wind-Up yet, but you make me want to. I love nearly all his work I've read. He has some really strange and uncommon themes in his writing.

His characters are often neurotic, and he communicates their fixations in a way that is dreamlike, and almost makes me feel as if the character's neuroses are my own.

This, too, reminds me of Proust. The way the child obsessed over his mother's goodnight kiss in Swann's Way was so well communicated I felt like I was the boy. Proust did it better than Murakami, though, I must admit.

>Proust did it better than Murakami, though, I must admit.

controversial opinions all over the place

u a madman

Beckett's short fiction is what you're looking for.

>Krasznahorkai
This

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a great Murakami novel. It's slow (intentionally) in the beginning, but once you get through it you'll be extremely glad you did.

i was thinking about reading this, now i will

its a decent Sci-fi novel, but nothing more than that

Errhhh, what? why? That's nothing like Tarkovsky.

baitin so hard we can't handle

kek'd

I don't know you, so I cannot say that I like you...

Well, this is not discussion about Murakami. But as everyone is discussing it, I might express my opinion - I excuse everyone who doesn't like it - I am not overly familiar with literature, studying in STEM field in fact.
One cannot deny that Murakami has a lot of talent. I have read most of his books when I was 16-18, and I really liked them at that time. He is actually very opposite, as has noticed, to Tarkovsky, but I would not agree with the reasons. In my understanding Murakami is a very conformistic writer, and he is very good in conveying this conformism to the reader (actually the best among the authors I've read). His books actually reads like some sort of anime. And actually not many authors have left this feeling of very involving atmosphere to me, the other one I could think of right now is Salman Rushdie.

Now, coming back to Tarkovsky - I don't think that for example Molloy, Malone Dies and The Unnamable (those are actually some of my favourite books right now) are similar to his movies. Beckett is somehow more hard, maybe more cynical. Tarkovsky is more pure. I think that Invisible Cities (Calvino) more similar to Tarkovsky than the aforementioned books.

Right, Murakami has a lot of atmosphere, but I think OP was looking for atmosphere similar to Tarkovsky's. I think Calvino is kind of on point, but he's maybe a bit to funny in his weird sort of way.
I think I would throw in the Magic Mountain by Mann as a contender for most Tarkovskyesque (holy shit) book for me.

Kurosawa was 6'.