Food

Who here has ever tried calamari? In my opinion it's pretty good.

Yeah, it's good. I prefer whole squids, though.

Yeah it's good. I've had it in Korean food.

yeah. I've tried it breaded and deep fried as well as non-breade in a regular white wine sauce.

The white wine sauce was a disaster, probably since I used frozen calamari and the shit smelled rank from the second I opened the bag. I assume it would've been fine if I had used fresh and not rotten calamari.

It's gud

Sometimes it's a bit chewy, but it usually tastes pretty good.

It's OK.

Its alright. I can't think of any scenario where I'd prefer to have squid over something else, though. Pretty bland and relatively pricey where I am, no point in buying it really.

It's good

Had some fried at an upscale restaurant.

It was okay, it tasted like a fried rubber band.

If your calamari is chewy it wasn't prepared properly

Its allright, cant help associating it with bait though.

Grilled calamari is master race.

am i being memed?

calamari is ridiculously common

It's easy to fuck up so I only order it in good restaurants when I'm feeling adventurous

What do you mean?
Everyone in the thread has said they've eaten it. What makes you think it isn't common?

it is very easy to fuck up and in my opinion it's better raw than cooked

not that gr8 m8 desu

The only way to eat them is deep fried with either tzatziki or lemon and not with ketchup or what looks like mayonnaise. Greek calamari, best calamari.

also good with aioli

I will give you that. Had some special, magic vegan aioli, best aioli I ever had. I think I ate about half the jar (3-5 litres big) just with bread.

It's good, but I've never had any that I have enjoyed to the end. It almost always starts out delicious, but I struggle to finish it. idk. it's good as fingerfood not an actual meal.

Adventurous? It's like, a go-to table appetizer. You can definitely branch out and be more adventurous, senpai.

I've only had calamari prepared as pictured. It was decent but most of the flavor is in the marinara and not so much in the calamari.

everyone that's ever been on holiday lol

I recently had fried calamari steaks when out with my fiance. It was the first time I've ever had tender squid. Usually it's chewy and not cooked properly, but this steak was a good send in texture, taste, and quality. It was at a little plates place in Detroit.

If you have a little extra money to spend, try finding your own local Calamari nirvana.

it's pretty boring, but lolfriedfood so people like it

>Flyover: the thread

I once got banned for ban evasion just for using the f-word in a post

Just don't be too surprised, our mod is from f_______ land and thinks anyone who doesn't have the same opinions as he does must be the same person

If anyone on the food and cooking board hasn't had one of the most popular foods in the world, they deserve to be shamed publicly.

It is a niche food that is served at only a couple Italian places and maybe the general stores of restaurants like TGIF. I could have easily missed it if I didn't go to Olive Garden. Though my community has more Italian places by Italian Americans than you can shake a stick at they don't do all of these "popular" dishes.

See

I love me some fried calamari.

Usually this is a huge meme but for once I agree. How tf is fried calamari uncommon enough for people to be calling it adventurous?

I used to live in Cyprus and fresh calamari was a diet staple, along with fresh octopus. It's really great with just some lemon and olive oil! The frozen rings aren't good though.

Only one person called it adventurous.

I love it and I'm struggling to recreate the coating that the hole in the place nearby has.

Do it wrong and it's like eating tires, do it right and it's pretty good. I'll take octopus over calamari, but both are tasty.

found the chav

I like it but only when it is not from a pack.
I usually buy them at a good fishstore which makes them themselves but yesterday I bought some squid to fry but saw I had crums and everything to make it like OP so I decided to give it a shot but spice it up a bit with herbs. Turned out quite well too.

How has no one in this thread mentioned hog anus?

pig ass doesn't have tentacles

We aren't trying to make a hentai here.

It's alright. I can order a whole grilled squid at a japanese place nearby that comes with this sauce that has just a hint of smoky flavour to it.

The tentacles are the only part worth eating. The rings are worthless.

Also, it's easy as fuck to over-cook.

For the most part they're a seasoning/sauce delivery method that's more fancy than chicken nuggets.

Also, most people can't tell the difference between chitterlings and squid cooked the same way.

The thing with cooking calamari is not to overcook it. When overcooked it becomes rubbery and not tender and crispy as it is intended.

If it's pre made and/or frozen it's basically fucked by design.

Discerning chefs usually saok the squid in buttermilk... bread to order and quickly fry until the batter sets. As close to raw as you can muster and it is a great dish.