Good books for social anxiety?

Good books for social anxiety?

Other urls found in this thread:

pinterest.com/pin/371476669237838608/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You mean books on being a self-pitying coward who made the mistake of not speaking up one time and has made the same mistake again and again since that point until the notion of communicating meaningfully with another human being seems so surreal and "awkward" that your only resort is to interpret your flaw not as some weakness on your part but as some sort of evidence that you are too cerebral to form relationships with other people and participate in discussions where you aren't the figure of attention and the point around which the discussion revolves? Get real kid. I mean it. You keep acting like this and life will pin you down and weigh so much that you will be rendered incapable of living in a healthy and genuine way and will instead be forced to retreat to the infant-like state of apathetic isolation wherein your imagine will allow you a pathetic pseudo-experience of the kinds of things your so-called "condition" is preventing you from experiencing for real.

Yes. Any reccs?

Your post didn't need to be that long.

Here:
>I don't understand social anxiety

I do and everyone has it to some extent. Not everyone makes it the defining aspect of their identity.

Fear and Trembling by Kierkegaard.

Here's another (You)

Welcome to the NHK light novel, if you're into Japanese culture. maybe.

why would i be asking for self-help books on social anxiety if i wanted to make it a defining part of my identity?

yikes

Yes, everyone has it to some extent, but you can't make judgments about people with anxiety based on *your* anxiety levels. Just because your anxiety is manageable doesn't mean that everyone's is. Until you've *experienced* severe social anxiety, you don't have any room to talk about it.

Mild to moderate anxiety can be overcome with relative ease. Severe anxiety is a brick wall.

You already have. You even saved a cute little picture to reinforce your "brand". Now you're just looking for attention on Veeky Forums. Meanwhile I'm about to pick up my cute girlfriend and go for a long drive with her to the coast where we will be staying in a small, historic hotel for two nights, enjoying lavish meals and appreciating each other's youthful and aesthetic bodies. Meanwhile you will be refreshing this thread only to read the same old ~30 books that people recommend in every single thread regardless of context. But, hey, enjoy your "social anxiety" kiddo. And make sure to check for monsters under your bed before you go to sleep tonight.

stop embarrassing yourself dude

use drugs

It's a short lived /mu/ meme from like 3 years ago.

You're projecting, mate.

Only you are responsible for your anxiety being "manageable" or not. I know it's easier to play the victim and take medication rather than doing the hard work of altering your own perspective and disposition. And I know it's way way easier to justify your failure of a life by pointing out that you have this uncontrollable anxiety that prevents you from getting ahead like the rest of your peers (who probably have more to be anxious about). But the reality is as long as you have a functioning mind (which is unclear in your own specific case) you are responsible for how anxious you are about the big bad strangers in your life.

Why do you think you know what you are talking about?

Take beta blockers OP

>beta blockers

More like beta enablers

Thanks. I've tried beta blockers and they help but they don't fix the underlying issue.

Not really.

They limit the stress response so that you can remain in a stressful situation more easily and perform well. Eventually the brain learns that the stress response is not necessary in those types of situations. Then you stop taking them. It works very well.

You don't actually understand what an anxiety disorder is or how the brain actually works. You have a romantic notion of the mind that is not science based. The mind is material not spiritual.

You need to constantly expose yourself to stressful stimuli when you are using them otherwise there is no point.

They are supposed to be a tool for exposure therapy not a crutch.

Hmm, never thought of it like that.
Like a pre-workout shake that gives you the power to break down muscle and build it up stronger.

work out
learn a skill
ask questions
practice speaking
stop masturbating
stop pitying yourself
meditate

Nice ad hominem there kiddo. And I appreciate you going to the trouble of finding your psychology handbook from sixth grade and copying out the definition of something you obviously don't comprehend on an independent level. Beta blockers cause dizziness, exhaustion, blurred vision and a variety of other negative side effects that do not compensate for the marginal benefit they provide to the beta they are blocking from living a whole and healthy life. Take a leaf out of my book and realize that overcoming anxiety is a personal responsibility, and once overcome can lead to a life of success and happiness such as the one I am currently enjoying.

>meditate

Stopped reading there.

>Stopped reading there.

well it's the end of the post so good job

I was reading from the bottom up kiddo. Don't ask me what the rest of the post said because I couldn't tell you.

>he dismisses a practice that has widely proven physiological benefits presumably because he doesn't understand that meditation doesn't require any belief in the supernatural
i don't want to resort to a cliche, but your fedora is showing

I already used them successfully. I run a business now.

Calm down kiddo. Maybe go meditate or something, you sound upset.

Sure you do bud. Let's get our accountants to compare gross income and see who is bullshitting here. What's that? You don't want to all of a sudden? Huh.

>bud
>kiddo
pretending to be retarded?

Haha not quite bud. I actually have a PhD and my girlfriend is currently in grad school. She's actually with me now by the way. We're chilling at her place until her sister gets home from school. I'll tell her the kids at Veeky Forums say hi.

>pretending to show off on an anonymous image board

sheeesh

>Calm down kiddo. Maybe go meditate or something, you sound upset.

My girl says "hi"

So much this.

After a certain point of severity, taking meds short-term really turns out to be the LESS victim-playing defining-yourself-by-a-mental-health-issue approach.

Certainly better than succumbing your entire life to self-treating something just so that you could in the end go around bragging that you defeated it without any external help (which also actually succeeds far less frequently than you'd expect) and therefore proved that it's somehow less real than physical health problems.

You either never had severe enough mental health issues, or you do and you're trying to solve it by downplaying them.

Listen, I went to one of the top psychiatrists in the field of treating anxiety disorders and that is what he prescribed me along with group therapy, cbt and exposure therapy.

It worked for me and it worked for 18 out of the 20 people in the group who all had very severe cases.

You aren't helping anyone you are just being a cunt.

>let me tell you about about your mental problems

KEK
E
K

>not even bothering to steal a halfway hidden image

pinterest.com/pin/371476669237838608/

Fuck for

Yet he has a much better idea on what he is talking about than you do.

I have had three existential crises, the latter of which was described as having the depth and profundity as a man twice my age.

Grow up, if you aren't in highschool you can't use the "social anxiety" excuse anymore.
Be a Man.

>mental problems
>self diagnosed meme shit

top fucking kek

Yeah, that wasn't me. I would disrespect my girl by posting her image here.

As long as self-pitiers receive their desired pity, even in the smallest way, they will live content (if hollow) lives.

Wow did he also hand you a map where you can always find your nearest safe space? What a surprise everyone in your group realized how pathetic they and each other were and grew up when they were sat in the room with "fellow sufferers".

"Hi, I'm Anonymous, and I choke when confronted with the pressures of social interaction!"

>your mental issues aren't real until a shrink tells you so

If this is the case how did I even get a diagnosis in the first place?

You were/are "depressed" too huh

That kinda came with the package.

Although that's some shitty damage control right there.

S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E

EDGY
D
G
Y

You're like David Masters except for the smart part.

Ignoring the trolling samefag, wha tare some good books now?

The book of "stop being a little bitch and get your shit together, you are not in high school anymore"

>As long as self-pitiers receive their desired pity, even in the smallest way, they will live content (if hollow) lives.
You didn't quite catch my meaning there. Probably because you're falsely equating 'taking medication' with 'telling everyone that you're on medication'.

You don't have to tell anyone.
Same way you could try to self-manage your mental health issues and not flood an internet website with your insights on how you were successful at it.
Protip you do actually sound a little bit like you're denying some of your own (albeit minor) distress. And it's also Freud's birthday, so idk, thought I'd let you in on your blind spot.

Just to point out for the sake of improving or at least not further shitting up a board I care about, I posted

and every subsequent response to the people replying to it. I was just looking for some nice juice (you)s before leaving work for the day.

That is not you.

Embarassing.