What sort of knives do other cultures use for prepearing food?

Every memester has a Santoku bōchō, but what about other people around the world?

I've always wanted to get a Ulu. They're not expensive, but postage would be prohibitive.

Have you heard of any useful kitchen or multi purpose knives?

Are you using any?

japanese people on use katanas to prep their food. a popular way of cutting fruit is by tossing ia bunch in the air and trying to slice all of them at once

>postage would be prohibitive
I guess going out to get it would be too much work

I personally prefer a greataxe, but I also like using my other sharp instruments too

Perfect to prepare a refugee.

European here, I use my CQC knife, my sharpest knife.

I want one of these.

Awesome!

Wow, I almost forgot about ulu posting. Still one of the most retarded knives of the world.

You had better be a woman, OP.

just what I want: a knife that makes me look like im wiping a row of popped zits on my food.

Don't hate on industrial food prep and/or elderly people with arthritis.

I actually have one, doesn't work for shit

Mother has one. It works pretty well.

why can't she just use a knife

even cuts for presentation yo

also, it can cut more than just eggs, it works on cheese as well and other stuff

see

Have you every tried to thinly slice a hard boiled egg with a knife before?

there probably aren't any available near him. if he's always wanted to get one i doubt he'd be like 'aw posting is too expensive, nevermind' if he could walk 5 minutes down the street to pick one up.

thoughts about obsidian knives?

Have you tried using an actual sharp knife?

Cutting eggs similar to pic related using a knife is just downright tedious and difficult, i'd like you to TRY and show me a picture of a hardboiled egg cut as cleanly/evenly as that.

Keep in mind that Ulus are only used to skin the pelt off the meat.

Ulu are pretty nice if you know how to use them properly. Great for,

pizza cutting
butchering and skinning
chopping/dicing veggies

That's about it, but they are amazing for that stuff.

Hey i use something like that to make Sauerkraut

That thing looks like it would be great for cutting up long veggies. Am I right in assuming it would rock back and forth pretty comfortably?

They are used for all the butchering, not just skinning, and hide preparation.

Correct. With a large one like in you can go pretty fast with them.

They are used for anything. There's even steak Ulu sets. Inuit have a humble tradition, one blade is used for as much as is feasible. I've seen reality TV from Alaska where people use them to prep veggies, slice meat, anything.

The big difference is that is used not on a table but kneeling the floor (not today though). The perpendicular handle allows for perfect control from above where weight from the shoulders can also be brought to bear.