What exactly is a "scanner" in A Scanner Darkly?

What exactly is a "scanner" in A Scanner Darkly?

It's a play on words. You're supposed to "just get it." Or not think about it. One of those. In any case, the author is smarter than you and you're not to question the author's artistic choices!

1 CORINTHIANS 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then shall I know, even as also I am known.

This. It's a play off of "through a glass/mirror darkly" but instead the glass is a sci-fi imaging device.

I didn't know that they had scanners in the Bible, and that every verse mentioning the adverb "darkly" was assumed to be about scanners.

>what is "allusion"

the scanner in the book is the thing the police/law enforcement used to monitor people. like high tech security cameras.

>the scanner in the book is the thing the police/law enforcement used to monitor people. like high tech security cameras.
Just like the device they were alluding to in the Bible...oh wait.

possibly also related to the scanners from 'scanners live in vain' by cordwainer smith. they're basically what you today would call cyborgs. they left their humanity behind to be able to navigate space, like bob arctor leaves his humanity behind by working as a cop/professional drug addict.

a glass in the bible is a mirror. it's about how you perceive yourself and others, and the relationship between the identity and the self and all that jazz, which is large part of what this book is about

idk why you're being so pissy. you asked what a scanner was and i explained it to you now you're being buttblasted cause you didn't pick up on it/can't see the connection?

its spelled illusion stupid

I already know what a scanner is: and they did not have them in Bible times.

maybe literature isn't for you buddy.

Or maybe the author failed to give his work an appropriate, meaningful title.

What said.

What's your favorite book, m8? Genuinely wondering. PKD isn't exactly deep shit so if his ham-handed symbols go over your head I'm wondering what literature you read.

In other news, infinite jest isn't all that funny

This isn't about me, m80. Just admit that your favorite author sucks at naming.

PKD let his editors chose his titles for him, you empty-smarty flapmouths.

And sometimes I let a cute waitress choose my meal for me. That doesn't mean it isn't my fault if I end up with food in front of me that I can't eat.

source

PKD isn't my favorite author. And if you're addressing Veeky Forums as a whole he's not that revered by the board either. It's genre fic.

But you're still unwilling to admit that he can't properly name his works.

What would you call it?

The Adventures of Bob Arctor

>I can't into thematic titles
>>>/reddit/

>everybody biting this bait

A Scanner Darkly is one of my favorite books so far by PKD. I didn't really care for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and though Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said was better than Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Those right now are the only 3 PKD books I read but I want to read Man in the High Castle and VALIS next.

But getting back on topic of A Scanner Darkly. This book was the first PKD book I read and also the first book by him that I felt started off great and ended great. His other two books I read that I mention I felt started off slow and wasn't that great till the middle and end.

Anyone have any other fiction they enjoy based on drug addictions? I got Junky in my backlog right now that I'm planning to read.

Aleister Crowleys "Diary of a Drug Fiend".

A 3d camera.

Thanks. Have you read many books dealing with drug addiction?

Is Veeky Forums incapable of recognizing bait or what?

It is viewed through a scanner darkly

Is the movie worth it for someone who hasn't read the novel?

He explains what a scanner is and the play on word with the bible in the book itself, did you een read it?

Movie isn't bad, the cell shading is a bit ugly but in an appropriately unsettling way,
Not sure I'd recommend to watch the movie first. It's a very faithful adaptation, just with a lot of scenes cut out, so that reading or watching the one right after the other would be a bit boring