What did you read today, user?

What did you read today, user?

Journey to the end of the night.

Nothing yet. I'm almost halfway done The Dharma Bums and it's a short book so I might try to finish it tonight.

i finished the man who was thursday
it was pretty good but didn't really hit the spot

The Trial.

Bunch of Yeats poems

Did you read The Castle before you read The Trial? I'm reading his complete short stories now and I'd like input on where to go next, if it isn't too much trouble.

Ubik, reading the pkd collection.
Them feels when reading John's situation, luckily there's the story to focus on. Gonna drink some beer and read the last half tonight and wake up with a nice cup of coffee. :,)

The Palm-Wine Drinkard - Tutuola
Fantastic; would read again.

The way of herbs

Nothin cause I waited all day for my kindle cover to arrive and when it did the stupid shit wouldn't fit in

the description said it was for 2015 models so i dont know what the fuck is wrong

Sjælens Amerika by Knausgård, and finished Tales of Sevastopol by Tolstoy.

Imajica - Clive Barker

This dude is amazing. Wish he wasn't spending so much time painting and writing Abarat so he could go back to write adult fiction.

not him, but I'd go Trial first

The Trial is his shortest, most complete, most iconic, and arguably best novel.

I almost prefer The Castle, but it is pretty long winded, a bit denser, and kind of saunters a trail to nowhere before ended mid-sentence. Definitely something to read after The Castle.

Amerika seems to be pretty hit or miss with people. I love Amerika, but I can see why others don't. It was his first novel and it's an outlier from the rest of his work in almost every way. It's kind of a parodic Dickens story that too leads to nowhere, but it's good fun along the way. Also cool how the narrative breaks down into fragments as it goes on instead of ending dead stop like the Castle does, giving the reader a weirdly fitting sense of displacement and confusion.

Some poetry by Edgar Allen Poe, as well as part of Seamus Heaney's Beowulf translation. I want to start on Atlas Shrugged, though, at least by the end of the week.

/g/ tip, look at you model number, is like an isbn number only for tech stuff.

I had my apush exam this week
haven't read because of studying in like two weeks. :^(

its a 2014 model and the cover is only for 12,13 and 15.

fucking great

"Invitation to a Beheading" and some Swinburne, such an underrated poet!

Also, do you guys believe Nabokov when he claimed he had never read Kafka prior to publishing "Invitation..."? Or is that like Wallace jokingly stating an in interview he had never read Pynchon?

Or, most likely, Nabokov read literature influenced by Kafka and it in kind influenced him.

just about done with The Sea-Wolf. then I'll probably start 1984. or maybe I'll just play vidya gayms or something I'm exhausted

It's supposed to snap into place, dingus

Duchess of Malfi

i didn't read anything

Bit of Edith Hamilton jerking off western culture. Felt good.

'Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!'
Turns out that this physicist guy was a major sperglord.

The Count of Monte Cristo. Hoping to complete it soon. Then I have to decide what to read next in my backlog. Maybe City of Thieves or Neuromancer. Dunno yet.

just finished "Cement Garden". I'm not sure how I feel...

He would have fucked all the chicks in Tannu Tuva had he ever gotten there.

Started and finished The Code of the Woosters. Really funny stuff.

Norwegian Wood

Veeky Forums

sirius connection and jimi hendrix room of mirrors

Iliad, book 18: best one so far.

The Mezzanine by Nicholson Baker

I read my pager, a few log sheets, and a dispatch screen at work. I came home and browsed Veeky Forums. No books, though.

Finished South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Not sure yer what will I read next.

Nearly finished.

Sociology of Religion by Max Weber. Red almost 400 pages, i'm pretty proud.

Ecce homo

Nietzsche will stop praising himself at anypoint, right?

About fifty pages of The Recognitions.

same ;_;

I bought White Noise. I started reading it and it's been great so far. Thanks, Veeky Forums.

Several O'Connor short stories

More of the Old Testament. I fucking hate it.

Plato's Symposium. Fantastic dialogue

Finished American Psycho and read On the Heights of Despair by Cioran.

just force it

its all Greek to me

two chapters of V. and 'Goodbye, My Brother' by Cheever

Tried to read Dostoyevsky's Winter Notes on Summer Impressions

Holy shit it's so boring, it's a 70 pages essay but I can't help but quit after a few pages each time, it's just bad

Read over 120 pages of The Sound and the Fury.

To be a true intellectual you must pretend to like boring things.

No.

Some comics (Headlopper #1 , Deep Dark Fears). Might get back into Dhalgren by Samuel Delany later.

War and Peace

Bolan^~o's 2666. There is a scene where an immigrant cabbie is being beaten by two main characters, and one of them kicks him "for Rushdie", and then it is added in parenthesis that the character doesn't really like Rushdie. I think that was the author trying to appear cool and failing. I really hated that remark.

About to start Tortilla Flat by Steinbeck.

Haven't read all week. Work has been killing me.

Maybe it was more about Khomeini's Fatwa in the 90s?

The Drinker by Hans Fallada and Collected Poems by Nabokov.

Tear me apart, please.

Why? You know it was trash with no value, what could we possibly add?

There's nothing to add, it's just a palate cleaners. Something to balance the hedonistic treadmill.

Antigone by Sophocles. Perhaps it is because I dont know enough about ancient greece, drama or both, but I found it not that great. It was interesting though and I will return to it at some point, perhaps then to understand and appreciate it the better.

"Federer Both Flesh and Not" by David Foster Wallace

i've read a part of woolf's 'the waves' today and i should take a break for today, it already made me cry... i think i will read carr's 'the burning court' later

oh, antigone has some mighty good poetry, especially the chorus parts, with weirdly complicated meter

The Bible. Psalms seems to drag on forever but the verses are short so that's something.

Finished Gore Vidal's "Creation". Liked it very much, even better than Julian.

hey, same

Nah, I know about that whole deal. It just seemed like a thought of an author and not the character, and there are such occurences all throughout the book, it seems. Bolano barges in and takes a cheap shot at something.

He just released an adult novel this year, m8

Finished off "The Vorrh" last night. Good read, appropriately uncertain ending.

Finished steppenwolf.

It was gr8 m8s

I finished Of Human Bondage. It was decent, though I didn't get much more out of it than a better picture of England around the turn of the 20th century.

napoleon the path to power - phillip dwyer

The Wolves of God
Only got a few pages in since it's Mothers day

I loved the first half. What did you think?
Reading some Gaddis ATM.

ulysses
every day more ulysses
almost to chapter 11 now
no end in sight

finished notes from the underground, about to finish a short history of decay by cioran. comfy melancholy

>notes from underground
>comfy
Heil Ubermench

48 laws of power

>i actually fell for it
>im going tru fedora tier wanna-be psycho babble
>i never drop a book because i dont like it so i'll finish this till the end of the night
>i shouldve just looked at the authors photo and conclude that the book will be shit at the start

I'm currently reading Sartre's La Nausée, Dazai Osamu's Schoolgirl, and Tocqueville's Democracy in America

I need more hours

I'm halfway through 'Salem's Lot, enjoying it so far

Reading that book too.
Some things make sense, others sound stupid

Taking everything with a grain of salt.

Just finished that book yesterday. Its pretty good. Going through Bag of Bones until my next batch of books arrive (not in America so I have to import all my books twice a year)

First chapter of Blood Meridian. If this is being meme'd, then baby, I don't want to be right.

The Name of The Rose
Fear and Trembling

I finished Cat's Cradle

Really good book. I love Vonnegut's humor and his subtle commentary.