What an overrated piece of shit...

What an overrated piece of shit. This book contains NOTHING that I haven't already figured out on myself by actually studying religion and having common sense. Why do edgy fedoras praise this book so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/teenager-killed-at-upstate-church.html
amnation.com/vfr/archives/008683.html
evoandproud.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/was-christianity-responsible.html?m=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

?

I don't think it's right putting God into a scientific hypothesis like that. It's not like pseudo scientific theories like Intelligent design though.

Because it validates their opinion.
I'm an atheist and I read a few "atheist" books thinking I may learn something, but most of them are there only to agree with you and making you feel smart because "those guys think like I do!"

I figure the same applies to most "God Exists" books.

Reading books about both biology and theology (not divulgation) is the best way to go.

>inb4 200 posts by angry teenagers trying to show how much smarter they are than dawkins

I also hear he doesn't cover the euthyphro dilemma yet has a chapter based on the roots of morality.

Strawman.
Stating that he knowledge of theology and religion is overhyped doesn't have much relation with his intelligence - his work in biology is definitely worth reading for anyone with interest in the field, but pretty much anything he writes on religion shows his lack of knowledge in the field - not surprisingly giving his lack of any formal training (both in history of religion and theology).

>Why do edgy fedoras praise this book so much
What alternatives do they have? There are like zero decent pro-atheist books. It kinda makes sense because no one actually cares about "theism" apart from his respective religion so anyone with the drive and intelligence to make a decent argument would probably shy away from broad attacks against theism in general

199 to go

Yeah, I understand that.

>Why do edgy fedoras praise this book so much?

When I read Notes from the Underground for the first time I instantly fell in love with it because it so perfectly reflected how I thought.

I think it is that kind of thing for The God Delusion and fedora kids.

Don't think it refers to atheists in general, but rather the edgy fedora people OP is talking about.

My sentiment is that an argument can't be made either for or against the existence of a conceptual "God"; because of this, I simply choose to believe in a higher power because I'm a (delusional) optimist.

"Edgy fedora people" tend to be Christian.

I think believing in the god concept and believing in Christianity are two separate things. I think what's wrong is the personification of "god". The whole thing about kabbalism and magic, etc makes more sense to me.

>I don't think it's right putting God into a scientific hypothesis like that.
This. God is, by definition, supernatural. Science, by definition, exists to explain natural phenomena. Using science to explain God shows you have no understanding of either.

That's because the concept of God has not been adequately defined because christfags keep moving the goalposts

T B H the edgiest people I know are the evangelicals and Catholics who live in the south but believe that they're persecuted. They're always posting articles about how hitting children is necessary and everyone else is a pussy for not just waling on their kids for every damn thing. Like they're having fights in the comments on Facebook about who got hit more and hits their kids more as a point of being real upstanding men of God. They do this for everything. It's all about who's the toughest, no nonsense authoritarian Christian. It's weird as shit.

That's weird as fuck. Why do you associate with these people?

Because I'm from Alabama and went to Christian school so they were kinda unavoidable.

>common sense
>Evidence
Christians are persecuted though, and near no one in any position of power speaks out against this.

From it being some of the only hate speech allowed in NA, to the Islamic rape of Christians in Africa and Asia.

These people are given no voice whereas if a Muslim gets slapped in Europe or NA, it will be on the news.

Of course Christians are persecuted in the third world where they're a minority.

In the US they're still a majority and if they're getting bullied it's because they're huge pussies. Seize power or don't, but blogging about it is pretty sad.

Nobody praises that book in this age, maybe 5 or 10 years ago, but fedora atheists don't exist anymore.
The new edgy thing to be is right wing and ironically/culturally christian

Every religion should be. They are fucking scary. I don't see any difference between Christianism or Islam, it's all the sane insane scary bullshit. nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/10/teenager-killed-at-upstate-church.html

I don't know about persecution, but they certainly should be subject to open and legal mockery. People can post fedora memes all they like, but making fun of something can do a lot to reveal the little absurdities that make up the big one.

You actually went and read a meme book from >not-current year ? What's wrong with you?

>fedora atheists don't exist anymore.

they don't???

lol he thinks there is a Christian majority anywhere

I'm sure Jesus approves of the way you make fun of autistic people. He probably did it all the time himself.

>he's never been to a flyover state

>he's american

Everywhere except the Yukon and Vancouver Island.

I find it hard to believe people are still proud of being European at this point.

>I'm sure Jesus approves of the way you make fun of autistic people. He probably did it all the time himself.
Not an argument Mr. Logic-and-Reason
Claims of religiosity aren't valid.

>gets mad about a personal remark because it's not a logical argument
>calls that person "Mr. Logic-and-reason"
I have a hard time believing you're an actual Christian and not just someone trying to make believers look bad.

read aquinas

your /int/ and /pol/ memes don't affect many people in the real world bud

>millions of criminal third-worlder young men don't affect many people in the real world
Hmmm

I like the Europe that American /pol/types have made up in their minds - a drop in the ocean of the European population is a tsunami to you

>let people in
>they cause practically all of your country's violent crime
>we must bring in more at once!
It's not about purity of the white race or any of that stuff.

>They're not TRULY religious!

Christianity requires faith before action.
Those people are culturally Christian.

>everyone's faking it but me

>The new edgy thing to be is right wing and ironically/culturally christian

Where? Planet Veeky Forums?

You are culturally Christian anyways, barring only the most strict conditions

>strawman
>Unironicallly using memes

There's no actual knowledge to be had in the "fields" of theology and religion. That's the whole fucking point.

From what you're trying to say I'm getting

>Christianity is wrong because there is no knowledge to be gained from it
>There is no knowledge to be gained from Christianity because it is wrong

Except that God, if real, would be the most natural thing in the world, since all nature originates from God and so there is nothing "supernatural" about him, and by seeking to explain natural phenomena, you are seeking to explain God, who is nature itself.

>i dont le like it so it isnt le real
No, stop pulling things out of your ass like a faggot at a donkey show

Go back to /b/, moron.

God is independent of His creation. He is non-contingent.

Trying to understand the essence of God through nature alone is like trying to understand the mind of an artist through nothing other than one of his paintings. You could try to make a connection and take away some real, valuable insights, but at the end of the day the painting isn't nearly enough to understand the full psyche of its artist.

>No TRUE Scotsman puts sugar in his porridge!

That is a point worth noting, yes. But I never actually claimed that by explaining natural phenomena, you would be able to fully explain God. That is clearly not how it works. Just, through science, you are invariably dealing with an aspect of God, and treating them separately would mean never grasping the significance of either. Which would be the opposite of the previous comment.

can you give me a tl;dr? I actually don't care enough about theology to be bothered reading it.
be mad about that if you like.

>Christians persecuted

Bitch please. I bet you think its persecution when somebody wishes you happy holidays or gets an abortion.

>the new edgy thing is to be right wing and ironically Christian
>ironically
No. If someone disagrees with you, it doesn't make them ironic.

You could make that excuse for philosophy but I am sure you would defend that.

Any good "atheist" books?

To be honest polemics are probably as trustworthy as documentaries. I avoid Christian ones too, like 'The Last Superstition.'

Yeah popular nonfiction for either side of this debate is going to be shit. You're either going to have to go to philosophy or fiction if you want to read something worthwhile about atheism.

I'm surprised there are so many christcucks on Veeky Forums. Doesn't posting here imply you can read?

This. I'm tired as hell of all these edgy retards who think christianity is some hardcore rebellion. You're not clever, you're just retarded.

I enjoyed Eagleton's Reason, Faith, and Revolution: Reflections on the God Debate

It's a few lectures from a marxist atheist who goes through all the stuff new atheists and modern fundamentalistss are wrong about

Annnnnnddd another one
>really getting sick of these threads

>facebook meme
>/pol/ meme
reeeee
Cheers user. I'll check it out.

I think it's meant for religious people to read. Anyone who hasn't had a hemispherectomy should have no problem figuring out everything in that book on their own. Fedoras love it because despite worshipping logic and reasoning, they actually suck at it, so they need a source of arguments to parrot in case they get in to a discussion. It's not that the book is wrong, it's just pointless. It's as if someone made the color beige into a book.

He's not an atheist. He's a Roman Catholic obscurantist, and the book is trash.

oh is he a le revolutionary Christian?

>Cheers user. I'll check it out.
I wouldn't. It's not an atheist book, as you requested. It's an anti-atheist book written by a staunch Catholic.

A is for Atheist

It can be very dry, and at places feels like it's written for children, but it's a wonderful book because the author is a philosophy professor who clearly and in great detail lays out various arguments for not having faith in a deity with a minimum of fedora-tipping ( though a little fedora action is inevitable since the book is explicitly anti-theistic).

First, this
Everything is science. There isn't exceptions. Because what science means, as simply as possible, is logic. Thought with reason.

You can't make up something that doesn't accord to logic. And of course, everyone believes through faith and everyone haves superstition. But when you're letting something govern your life, like God, you better have a really solid, factual reason to. Or else you're just guessing and hoping.

Ethnicity is due to birth, not faith. Thank you for confirming that your understanding of theology is like that of a toddler.
wow ur so logical and smart and epic i should be more like u
>logic
>reason
Why do you project your ideology onto a system of faith that rejects that?

>Because it validates their opinion.
Pretty much this, it's more aimed on people who grew up surrounded by religious brainwashing and need some other powerful figure to support their views.

Also this. Most atheists don't give enough fucks to bother. A book against monotheistic ideas is the same as book about why eating out of the toilet is a bad idea.

>let's conceptualize, for a moment, a limitless creation, that embodies an infinite creator
>naturally with the descriptions we have given, the spirit of that creator has to be within everything and everyone, having the essence of being indivisible and 'ONE'
>to try to speak about 'God', 'The Creator', 'Grand Architect', however you like to put it, would imply a point of distinction from you and it, thus misrepresenting the notion of God altogether
>leading us to the conclusion that anyone who tries to speak from a point of authority about God is, invariably, a fool

Seriously, I find this an easy line of logic to follow. If you wish to criticize it, please do, but know that speaking on the matter of 'God' is perhaps the most useless gesture of all.

God is a waste of time.

>being a Christcuck
>ever

it's for women and low testosterone betas who need someone to tell them what to do

Christianity is super manly, read Augustine.

This.

no, it's inherently effeminate, it is world-rejecting rather than worldly, it champions the weak and the meek over the strong, and Christcucks are encouraged by Paul to value the far over the near (take care of nignogs in Africa before your own family and community)

most of all it's just an offshoot of judaism, so if you're a white Christian you pretty much deserve the soft genocide that is happening to you in the west right now for adopting the religion of a culture that isn't even yours

amnation.com/vfr/archives/008683.html

>My special snowflake definition of religiosity means that 99% of religious people aren't REALLY faithful!

>I-I'll just k-keep talking about theology as if it's an actual discipline and not esoteric nonsense! That'll show them!

the fall of European Christendom is responsible for the West's death. It is not Christianity's fault that the clergy and culture of the Church are tarnished by the zeitgeist of secularism.

>the fall of European Christendom is responsible for the West's death

hmmm where have I heard this objectively wrong meme before

evoandproud.blogspot.com.au/2009/08/was-christianity-responsible.html?m=1

>special snowflake
>nonsense
You keep telling yourself that, dear.

Can you two kindly fuck off back to /pol/?

only after you kindly fuck off back to rebbit

No, the *rise* of Christianity was responsible for the West's death.

Your reactionary ideology against today's zeitgeist is just as meaningless as the paradigm you reject. You've attached yourself to a superficial narrative just to convince yourself that your existence is valuable. I'm telling you to go back to /pol/ because I don't care to read your ideas, and because you'll be much happier deluding yourself into thinking there is some significance to your ideas and the ideas of the age with a bunch of other optimistic crusaders.

Coz he's a huge cunt.

Keep believing in baseless superstition and eating magical bread every weekend, sugartits

>baseless
Don't project your ideology
>superstition
Everything you hold dear is a superstition.

>baseless

Stay in your comfortable bourgeois bubble where the supernatural never intrudes, if you really want. Just don't lecture those of us who venture outside it.

>all this projected nonsense and signaling

with your shitpisting ability it sounds like you're the one who belongs on /pol/

You're a delusional faggot.

Hint: you are not "venturing outside" the natural world. No one can.

>Everything you hold dear is a superstition.
No, asshat. Superstition requires belief in the intervention of supernatural entities. The results of rational inquiry are not "superstitious".

I suppose in a certain sense you're right, religion and the things it does are part of the natural world. Miracles, apparitions, healings, and transfigurations are all to a certain degree natural, since God created them all.

There are no "gods" or "miracles", moron. Open up a science textbook some time.

God doesn't exist.

>rational
Nice spook

Why is rationality correct?
Oh yeah,
>it's only le rational xDDDDD1!!!!
>le science
Empiricism cannot confirm empiricism.

You are truly too stupid to breathe.