Bread Thread

Last one died Just took this bad boy out of the oven, followed this recipe to make it: theperfectloaf.com/best-sourdough-recipe/

fair warning though if you use this recipe, unless you have the exact same flour brand as listed AND you have your wet dough technique down you will have to use less water then what is listed.

i dont have access to that flour so i ended up only going as high as 81% (original recipe calls for 86%) hydration and even that was almost too wet.
so what are you baking?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gK8Yk3mEEb8
youtube.com/watch?v=y5xOpss4j5E
youtube.com/watch?v=X7uo6qHKqHE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the ingredients are good. But I'm not a fan of hard,crusty bread, or recipes that take a lot of work. At the end of the day, it's just bread. I prepare and bake my bread as quickly and efficiently as I can.

>I'm not a fan of hard,crusty bread
raised on wonderbread?

i freeze my bread, then toast slices in an oven. So it's redundant to bake crusty bread then toast it again, which will make it too crusty.

>freezing bread

freezing perfectly preserves bread. Try it some time.

Crumb shot, as you can see it didnt rise as high as the loaf in the recipe but still very good oven spring.

Only flyover plebs bake bread since every important city has a bakery on every block. Even the shittiest of commercial bakery's will be better than the home oven.

After years of fucking around with starter and not getting decent bread results (just tasted like regular bread, not sourdough at all), I got the best tasting sourdough from not using starter at all.

I used plain yogurt, lemon juice, and strangely enough, a little bit of bleu cheese. It came out bomb.

Fuck you I didn't ask to be born in Ohio.

How do you get your bread to get that beautiful crease from the slashing?

Every time I slash my loaves, it comes out looking like just a weird indent after it's baked. Doesn't look right. The bread itself is still good, but for some reason it's as if the slashes partially just melt back together leaving a little slit instead of getting that nice rustic look.

you have to slash it after it's fully risen and just before it goes into the oven
spray some water (with like a spray bottle) on it (just moisten it, don't wet it)
before you put it in too

also the slash doesn't have to be deep at all
probably want to start with one that's as shallow as possible

Will olive oil have a negative impact on crust? I started adding it to my unleavened weekly-baked bread that I have for sandwiches or toast, and I love how soft the crumb is. Thing is, that bread rarely has a noticeable crust anyway and I don't worry about it (store in plastic, very little salt, no steam, etc.). Now I want to make dinner rolls for a potluck and got some yeast, but while I want that nice soft crumb I'm worried it might ruin the crust.
Also, tips for keeping bread moist so I don't have to chug water with breakfast at the end of the week when it's all dried out?

Made bread for the second time in my life yesterday. Will do again tomorrow.

Someone has any good recipe for french baguette that does not need any special flour?
I have only access to all purpose flour as living in a third world country sucks

cover those things in tin foil next time.

Why? If it is because its too dark, I love this way, had to turn on the broiler to get it

While there are a number of things that could explain it, it probably didn't achieve the same amount of oven bloom because you shorted the hydration.

OP here, doesnt always work perfectly but the trick to making it work
>slice at a 40-45 degree angle
>slice just before sticking the loaf in the oven
>make sure oven stone/pot is at the right temp (should be very hot)
>gotta have steam so i spray a few time with a spray bottle inside the hot pot before closing it back up
>the dough should be placed on a flat surface when baked

baking stone is fine but if you use a pot with a lid you need to make sure the surface is large enough that the dough doesnt touch the sides right when you place it in, it need some room to spread and pull on the slice to keep it open.

i dont think it was the hydration to be honest, i've had much better pop from much lower hydration (74%) when i was using regular yeast, i think i either didnt develop the gluten enough so it would hold itself together during the bake or the dough was under fermented, i suspect it was under fermented, i'm still new to sourdough baking and i decided to stick to the time frame the recipe laid out, but since my starter is still pretty young i guess it needed more time,

the dough wasnt as bubbly as it should have been when i went into shaping.

btw those are beautiful loaves, mind sharing your process/recipe?

It's true that underdevelopment of your gluten or inadequate fermentation can result in a loaf that does not have an open crumb structure. Comparing the bread in your link to your bread, the major difference is in the crumb structure, where the source's crumb is more open with much larger air inclusions. You also assembled a bread with 5% less hydration, which means less steam to enter seed bubbles created by fermentation, and less subsequent oven spring. While it is certainly possible to achieve great oven spring with loaves with a wide range of hydrations, a dough with less water will have a tighter crumb than a dough with more water. Multi-factorial, to be sure, but that's where my money is. Another thing to consider is loaf size, since a smaller bread will facilitate a more open crumb than a larger one, owing largely to the amount of weight it has to support during oven spring.

My process varies based on the kind of bread that I'm making. In general, I walk through all the basic steps for my lean doughs: autolyse, mix to windowpane, bulk retard, bulk ferment, portion, preshape, bench rest, shape, proof, slash, bake with steam.

>live in poland
>fresh bread and bread rolls in every shop every day
>take it for granted
>move to ireland because job
>most big shops have pre-packaged shit that goes dry or mouldy in 2 days
>sodabreads, sodabreads everywhere
>go to a bakery that specializes in bread
>GLUTEN FREE, GLUTEN FREE, GLUTEN FREE, GLUTEN FREE, GLUTEN FREE

Just kill me... please...

What's the best way to get seeds on bread like this?

I used yogurt to make naan once. Never again. It tastes vile and cheesy. Sourdough is nothing like that. It's more hearty.

It's probably not getting enough oven spring. You get that from steam inside the dough which comes from high hydration. If I don't slash mine they burst.

But if the oven spring doesn't happen for whatever reason (hydration, leaven, temperature, proofing) then the scoring remains flat.

Oil will have little to no effect on the crust. I wouldn't add any fat.

For a soft crust you turn the oven below 170°C after a few minutes.

The cooled rolls can be stored in paper or wood. If you store them in plastic they'll be chewy like burger buns in a day. Of course if you want that...

Slice and freeze the fresh bread. It will defrost easily in the toaster and it will taste like only a day old. If you don't like it toasted just take it out the night before.

Loaf of my sourdough country bread
I used to work at a bakery
You don't know me foo

damn thats an impressive loaf, i made the same size loaves as in the recipe (900g) but i shaped into boules instead of batards (dont have batard shaped proofing baskets yet) so maybe thats another reason why they flattened out a little,

next time i try this recipe i'll probably let it ferment more, use higher hydration and shape batards, cant wait honestly..

looks great, what hydration is it?

is baking bread really hard?

i've never done it before but i was thinking about trying to make some homemade bagels

this is not proper bread

Pain de mei is proper bread fucktard.

Not sure if it's the best way, but don't you just brush it lightly with oil or water to get the sesame seeds to stick?

>getting dough to stick
Have you ever touched dough before?

Wrong. Please accquire a proper taste before you visit this board.

>fucktard
>before you visit this board
Let's turn it down before it chars.

>he's never had a canape on pan de mie

please go flyover pleb.

Sorry, but I just can't stand trashy food.

Calling packed, white bread by it's french name, doesn't change how shitty it is.

>flyovers have the culture and background to call things shitty.

Learn to fucking compose. You don't always want a hard crusty bread to fuck up your textures.

>hard crusty bread to fuck up your textures
Err what?
If you only had this kind of dark bread, please don't try to shit talk someone else,

If it's not very wet dough, the seeds just bounce off.

the best pan de mei are simply 4 ingredient breads with a higher ferment stage and a thin light crust. The crust is really the only difference.

fuck off flyover.

>the best pan de mei
The best packaged, white bread is still packaged, white bread.
You are thinking too small, the problem is not "Pan de mie".

yeah, i'm the one with a small mind.

Insight isn't bad, but please try to do something against it.

I am trying to make bread after like 10 years in honor of my grandfather. I just moved so I don't have everything like spare bowls and such, so it's currently rising on a baking sheet. I think the consistency is about right, used basic means like all purpose flour sugar yeast and oil.

Any suggestions?

Try water

Make pancakes with that and start a real bread with just flour, water, salt, and yeast.

Your hydration looks good. Pull and fold a dough like that instead of kneading to preserve the gluten structure.

Find the scraper, in ten minutes that will stick like a mother-

For the final rise I'd put it in a basket or bowl with a floured cloth in the hope of a shape less flat.

>autolyse, mix to windowpane, bulk retard, bulk ferment, portion, preshape, bench rest, shape, proof, slash, bake
Thank you, kind user. My vocabulary is forever grateful. (ESL)

>Im too lazy to cook myself

So who has made epoxy bread?

youtube.com/watch?v=gK8Yk3mEEb8

Do you prep your starter by tripling feeding frequency a day before the bake?

It really multiplies the yeast providing more leaven per lactobacillus for a milder flavor. It halves proofing time so less acidity is built up.

Anyone have experience with this?

This is it before baking. Anything I should do? Aren't you supposed to make cuts or what?

Kill yourself.

Out of the oven

Cut one of them open. Good consistency!

Nice crust and good crumb.
10/10 would feed to birds.

>bakery's

Good try user.
I urge you to buy some better equipment and to read up a little bit though.
Start with tartine bread. That's always a good starting point. read the whole thing back to front. Buy a bench knife, a basket (or multiple baskets), some linen, and a combo cooker.

>bragging about how important where you live is
>not even being a normal insufferable faggot who brags about how important they think they are
I will never understand people who make fun of "flyovers" and this is coming from someone who lives in san francisco

>this is coming from someone who lives in san francisco

Well if anyone knew about faggots...

A nice intro to what sourdough is
youtube.com/watch?v=y5xOpss4j5E

10/10 crust but I get the same problem half of time. Maybe my oven is shit.

Made a spicy grilled cheese with my bread with a side of cheapo Mac and cheese and a blue moon. Hope it tastes good.

Very nice!

I'm retarding my sourdough for the first time.

What's gonna happen?

I covered the cold autolyse in a little room temperature starter and folded it a few times. Then it went straight back into the fridge.

I expect smaller and more uniform bubbling, also a stronger sour tinge. I didn't use a lot of starter. My starter really doesn't mind the cold much.

Just folded it again. Now my fingers are freezing.
It's definitely working. Nice gluten and a very small rise.

Is gluten really that bad or puré fear mongering.

Gluten is the basis of the human diet since the first settlements grew beyond a few hundred. Population is unsustainable without its cheap calories. It's grass seed. It grows almost anywhere.

'Gluten intolerant' people often have no trouble with hand made purist organic sourdough. It's probably more about the industrial processes and artificial enzymes added. Whole grain flour today is white flour that gets bran mixed back in. Try finding a local grain mill and a farmer you trust if you have trouble.

Industrial sourdough doesn't work because it's just yeast bread with added flavoring. It needs the microbiology of a real starter.

I believe few people have actual intolerances to goos home made food from healthy ingredients. But I doubt you can put Glyphosate on everything in high dosage and then expect people's digesting microbes to remain unaffected. Our guts aren't RoundupReady.

That looks beautiful.

What am I doing wrong? Added a whole packet of instant yeast to about 1.75 cups whole wheat flour, let it rise for an hour, and my crumb is still shit.

Better, less blurry shot of crumb

14 hour retard
Currently warming up to room temperature
Very stringy and bouncy, almost no rise

I need a bakery like this in my life. While this sounds like a nightmare to you, I have Celiac's and gluten absolutely wrecks me (even small amounts).
>inb4 blog post
kek I did not ask for this senpai

Coeliac is a pain.
But I find a rice based Asian diet very enjoyable.

Question for everyone in /bread general/, how many of you are bakers? And those of you who are, how do you rate your work?

I'm interested in doing a baking apprenticeship but I'm not entirely convinced. Come from a family of chefs, so far is in our blood, I've just never been interested in working in a commercial kitchen.

Not a baker

Shitty hours, but at the other end of the night so you can get up and go to work when your family gets home.

Allergies and respiratory issues are an issue in the industry. Bakers are the 20th Century miners when it comes to professional maladies.

If you bake artisan bread from specially produced flour you'll have a tough job, but a good one. As soon as industrial flours get involved it becomes a health hazard. And working in a bread factory is like working in any other factory.

baking is a lot of manual labor.
youtube.com/watch?v=X7uo6qHKqHE

>go to work when your family gets home.
That's not a problem. Single and got a vasectomy, so no family for me
>If you bake artisan bread from specially produced flour you'll have a tough job, but a good one
This is what I'm interested in.

The shitty hours don't bother me. I'm FA, and working those unusual hours is better for me as it lets me get more stuff done during the day. Don't need to take time off to visit the doctor, the post office, my accountant, go to the gym during quiet hours etc.

First of all you aren't gonna get a super open crumb from a whole wheat bread. What are you doing to the dough? Your method has much more to do with your bread than the recipe and to be honest your recipe sounds bad.

What the fuck are you even talking about you insufferable fag?

>open real bakery in Ireland
>profit

Bumping with more stupid sideways crumb pictures

hijo de puta

Any good breadmaker recipes to share?

looks delicious, just how i like it

Funny, I like it when mine look and taste like shit.

>mix 1/2 teaspoon salt, flour, and yeast (instant yeast, packet says not to hydrate separately)
>add water until I get a sticky dough
>flour board, knead and add more flour as I do so until it's not so sticky, at least 10 min
>brush mold with olive oil, plop the dough in, brush the top with more olive oil
>leave for an hour
>it's risen
>put in oven at roughly 400°f, checking every 30 minutes until skewer comes out dry, crank to 450°f for a few minutes at the end for dat crust

Find another dupe to sell it to?

Mix dough that is wet and sticky and do stretch and folds to develop gluten. Ferment the dough until it's strong and gassy, shape it and let it rise again and then bake. Check out ken forkish recipes to start with.

So I just tried to rest my high hydration dough in floured kitchen towels. Turns out those things attract moisture...

I know there's special rough weave flax sheets for this. Don't know where to get them though. What's a good alternative?

Well that didn't work out.

Too much hydration, never held its shape even for a moment.

The leaven is a bit weak. It's still bread, but I want a fluffier crumb.

The crust is fine. In fact it's very good. More aromatic than usually.

The overall flavor is great. Not very sour at all for sourdough. Strong Maillard browning. Good chewy texture.

A baker's "couche" is nothing more than a length of coarse canvas/linen fabric - you can get this at any fabric/sewing/craft shop and it's cheap.

That bread looks [spoiler] retarded [/spoiler]

I tried to make bread but it didn't work. I followed the recipe EXACTLY except instead of flour I used baking soda. What went wrong?

Yeah. The yeast didn't propagate at all.

It wasn't a real criticism I was just making puns.

I know.

But it happened because I don't know what I'm doing with retarding the dough. Obviously needs more starter or an initial rise before I cool it.

Gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8

I don't understand paleo. My body seems very adapted to handle sugar and bread since I eat as much as I can and feel nothing. Trying to eat pounds of fats or meat on the other hand always make me feel at least bloated.
Some days I easily get 500g of sugar and nothing happens.

>inb4 diabetes
I'm just going to die then