What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Hunter S. Thompson? Particularly his Fear and Loathing series...

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Hunter S. Thompson? Particularly his Fear and Loathing series? Where to go after reading ...in Las Vegas and Hell's Angels? Because that's all I've read by him, plus The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved. But that's it. What should I read next by him, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic
youtube.com/watch?v=VrOhvSvKIhc
youtube.com/watch?v=z3ub-QBrGCg
youtube.com/watch?v=zkWupnH8Uvs
youtube.com/watch?v=hxjHAnfMiiI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you've already read everything good this man has produced
it's time to move on

Who would you suggest?

milton
joyce
goethe
dante
shakespeare

Kingdom of Fear

I meant, more, stuff like HST? "Gonzo journalism," that kinda stuff?

Try the Campaign Trail.

youtube.com/watch?v=NHeSC_Ws5Ic

That YouTube clip is cool, you got any more little tidbits on HST like that?

youtube.com/watch?v=VrOhvSvKIhc
youtube.com/watch?v=z3ub-QBrGCg
youtube.com/watch?v=zkWupnH8Uvs
youtube.com/watch?v=hxjHAnfMiiI

Enjoy. I recommend the Campaign Trail because it strikes a good balance between HSTs general madness and his political insights, also because he gets right into the thick of how the campaign runs.

There's none, really. Say that as a fan. Try Joan Didion's nonfiction, tho. The White Album and Miami, most of all. May appeal to your sensibilities - worked for me.

Cheers.

Campaign Trail is essential

I'll take Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test over anything HST wrote any day.

I've only read three of his works.

Las Vegas functions as a novel more so than a piece of journalism. Its main talking points are the paranoia and absurd thought processes that arise from drug use, as well as the increasingly hostile social climate of the late 60's.

Hell's Angels is more of a straight piece of journalism, although it's structured like a Capote-esque non-fiction novel. It has less of Thompson's manic engagement and eccentricities, and the subject matter isn't as terribly relevant as it was when it was published, but it's still a very good read if the topic piques your interest.

The Rum Diary is a straight up novel and it's really not anything too special, but it was written long before he got up to his trademark bullshit, and thusly it shows an interesting perspective on the most basic elements of his style. Thematically it has its similarities to his later works, seeing as how it's about a booze loving journalist getting up to absurd shit in an unfamiliar location, if you like this recurrent theme in his work you'll probably like this book as well.

>funny you mention that
>see filename

HST is a shitty writer and a closet conservative

Closet?
Ha.

This looks like something I would, and probably did, write in jest while drunk.

H-Hunter?

Transmetropolitan. I know, its a comic. But it will surprise you.

fucking disgusting
go back to /v/

you are literally part of why hst killed himself

Second this. Transmetropolitan was inspired by Hunter s. Thompson and Foucault personas.