As a joke, I picked up some Aussie wine

As a joke, I picked up some Aussie wine

Shockingly, it's not bad. It's a normal color, and it doesn't taste like burning tires, ethanol, and cheap oak

I've been drinking wine every day for 18 years and this is the only wine from Australia that I didn't instantly want to pour down the drain

Why can't Australia make good wines?

Australia is the California of southeast Asia. They made like two good wines around 1975 and proceeded to fully insert their heads inside their asses

For best results stick to Spain, France, Germany, and Italy if you want good wine under $100/btl

And, considering the only reason to go over $100 is to impress people, just stick to those same countries for the fancy stuff. The only people impressed by Cali or Aussie wine aren't worth impressing to begin with

>Third world prison colony
>Making good wine

Grenache is god tier. There are no bad grenaches. Only wine makers with non-shit palates produce the stuff. But the best I've had were spicy versions from Spain.

Fucking Grenache. Delicious.

I've had some Malbec from Australia that was decent too. I wish I coil remember a single maker. Just m, for the love of Jesus, stay the fuck away from yellow tail and penfolds. Fuck everyone associated with the manufacture and distribution of that swill.

I strongly support this statement. An addendum to it is that Spanish wine, from my personal experience, tends to offer the best taste for the price. Quality might not scale with French or Italian, but the price is highly competitive comparatively.

Pro tip: Above a certain QC line, all wines are the same. It's only in your head plus marketing BS.

one wine aussies do well is shiraz.
but the best wines in the southern hemishpere are from new zealand because they have so many wineries compared to australias barrossa valley.

No

>stay the fuck away from yellow tail and penfolds
Why would you do that to yourself?

If you want less shitty Australian wine, at the very least you need to be aware of which regions are shit-tier, and which producers churn out mass-market cough syrup.

Ever tried an Australian Shiraz from the Barossa or Mclaren Vale? Best Shiraz in the world if you like bold & big wines. Or if you prefer softer styles, Pinot from Tasmania or Victoria is fantastic. Our Bordeaux blends (Cabernet & Merlot) from Margaret River in Western Australia are up there with some of the best as well. Yellow Tail has ruined Australia on the international scheme, for someone who has been drinking wine daily for 18 years you must surely know by now to not try wine with any assumptions or pre-concieved notions? "I had a bad Australian wine 10 years ago therefore all Australian wines are bad"

Word, I live in NZ, and even our $7 bottles (the cheapest you can get) are comparable to higher than mid-tier AU's wine

My friend, Australia makes some excellent, world-class wines. Certain areas in Australia, such as the Hunter and Barossa valleys, and Heathcote in Victoria, turn out wines of extraordinary quality.

There are some wineries such as Wild Duck Creek Estate that are in so much global demand that their wine is sold by lottery (at over US$300 a bottle).

I'm sorry you've never had a chance to try good Australian wine. I can assure you they do exist.

>good
>shiraz
>aussie
Pick two
Yeah, they're awful. I've had pinots, bordeaux blends, shiraz, chardonnay, all of it was trash. I got the Yalumba grenache because I kept hearing the memes about the new aussie wine and how it wasn't like before. It's true, this wasn't like the aussie wines I've had before. But I've had different brands, different regions, over and over and over. Over 18 years one starts noticing a trend: Aussie wine is garbage.

But I will be buying the Yalumba again. No shiraz though. No chardonnay. No merlot, no cabernet. Won't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole. Maybe things are changing? Maybe it's just marketing hype? But even if it is changing it's not going to happen overnight.

Best mate actually works for casellas who make yellow tale and the like even he doesn't drink it mainly all produced for overseas demand Asia and America eat that shit up like there's no tomorrow

If you think Australian wine is bad wait until you try California piss water.
That shit is fucking awful.

>Aussie wine is garbage.

Perhaps it just doesn't suit your palate? Australia has less than 25 million population and is overwhelmingly desert, and still manages to be the world's fourth largest wine producer.

Australia must be doing something right.

"As a joke" what kind of moron are you

After you've been drinking a while you get a pretty good idea of what you like and what you don't
This is usually a good thing because you have a better chance of picking something you like when all you have to go on is the words on the bottle
From a certain point of view this is not so good though, because you start to mistake "what I'm used to" with "what's good"
This is called "cellar palate", the implication being that your palate is calibrated to like what you have in your own cellar
The way you avoid cellar palate is you sometimes drink stuff that isn't a sure bet
This can be uncomfortable to some people so they rationalize it as buying something unsavoury for shits and giggles
The moar you know

This. Spain is the best bang for your buck.

If you live in the west, that is.
I always drink local wines. I live in Hungary, and theres a kind of revolution ging on in the industry. The results? Awesome wines for literal pennies. Man, am I glad to live here.

>Why can't Australia make good wines?
It's a matter of style. If you like heavy, fruit forward, high alcohol wines New World wines will satisfy. If you like your wines balanced and restrained the New World will let you down most of the time.

>Australia must be doing something right.

Shit posting is all that comes from Australia.

M8....... Ever heard of foster's??

>Shit posting is all that comes from Australia

...the shitposter wrote, furiously shitposting.