1000, 3000, 6000, 8000 or 10000

what grit stone should I get to sharpen my knifes?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

500, 1k, 2k, and 4k

1k 2k and 6k

Is he sharpening a butter knife?

I think it's a woman, and yes. that's a 10,000 grit stone btw.

do I really need different stones? I have a 120/200 (I think) I was looking at getting a 3000/8000 (two sided)

I'd say at least get a 1k and 2k double sided. You don't really need anything lower then 1k unless you've majorly fucked up your knife and 2k will leave it decent enough to cut without having to use a higher grit stone if money is an issue.

Probably a brit, going out for a killing spree

>gets 10000
>has to ask if he gets 10k
Do it for the memes

Only knife you need.

I have this, solid combo

how much harder is it going to be if I go 500 3k 8k

wtf is "Japanese grit" can somebody just tell me what to buy? preferably off amazon

If youre too dumb to understand what grit means then youre too dumb to sharpen a knife. Pay for sharpening once ir twice a year til you learn.
If youre rich buy an edge pro apex
If not, buy a few stones
Also, waterstones are better, but require to be soaked in water for ~20 minutes before use to work optimally

Should be fine, from 1000 you can go up to pretty much whatever the steel allows. What I do is keep a diamond stone with a low grit instead of a 500, less work to maintain

For kitchen knifes, I have a cheap (pretty uneven shit) 600 grit diamond plate for the coarser grind.

And then I use a sharpton 1000 followed by naniwa 3000.

I also have typical (and very cheap) set of polishing pastes if I want to have a mirror finish or extremely sharp edge.

>If youre rich buy an edge pro apex
I see some chinese knock offs on ebay for $40.

> can somebody just tell me what to buy?
Get the stones in plus holders.

amazon.com/Kuromaku-Ceramic-Whetstone-Medium-Grit/dp/B001TPFT0G/ (

(cont'd)
By the way, since 6k grits were mentioned in the thread... well I have those too (in both a shitty no name brand variant as well as a Japanese higher-end stone), but I very rarely use it.

Usually the Chosera 3k is *easily* sharp enough because its sharpening result seems so damn even.

I should clarify, I prefer 1000 grit because you can go up easily from that as your "base" so to speak. 500 to 3000 in theory should be fine however, since it's not a huge transition

Got me a 2,000 / 6,000 stone
It works great, with the 2,000 having a low enough grit to take metal away for rebevelling or removing micro chips, and the 6,000 being high enough of a grit to be able to put a keen edge on your knife, just gotta work a bit harder going from 2 to 6.

Perfect combo stone imo

All of them