Veeky Forums related college advice

i'm 22. just worked after high school, always had it in my mind to go back to school but the past four years just flew by and now i am regretting not going sooner. i want to go to a great books school to study the classics/philosophy, but they are mostly four year majors with no transfers from cc availible, which means i'll be going in with a bunch of 18 year olds. i regret not going when i was younger so much, but i can't change that now. do you have any suggestions for what to do in my situation/where to go to school?

Other urls found in this thread:

philosophicalgourmet.com
apaonline.org/?page=data
online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html
apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/Images/phil-test-scores-salaries.png
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/Data_on_Profession/Philosophy_performance_on_LS.pdf
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/data_on_profession/1994philosophyamerica-summar.pdf
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/data_on_profession/degree_completion_in_philoso.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

go in the summer semesters. fewer wankers, more older people, and smaller classes. By your third year you can go to regular classes because all the retards have been hopefully filtered out.

that would take so much longer though right? a summer semesters is just half a year of classes i thought.

Just kill yourself. It's too late. You will never have that great college experience you picture now. You could have gone after high school and made long lasting friends and memories. You could be independent with a great job doing what you love right now if you had gone. Now you'll be entering the proessional workforce at 27. If you go you'll be the weird old guy on campus. People will look at you funny when they find out yolu aren't in grad school. You'll be isoated and depressed. Just kill yourself now to save the embarassement.

Proffesional*

You*

Isolated*

I've had a few drinks. Doesn't change the fact that OP is a deadbeat faggot and should off himself.

>I've had a few drinks.

Have you ever asked yourself why you are so adamant on telling other people to kill themselves after you've had a few drinks in you? Maybe it's time to seriously do so.

Get some sleep, m8.

jesus. i might as well have asked /b/ this question.

I'm fine. This is an anonymous place and people should be responded to in a brutally honest way.

Sorry pal but you need to hear the truth even if it hurts.

You sound incredibly unhappy

Just read the classics on your own m8. Go to school for what you want to do careerwise.

i've thought of this as well. i don't think i will get the same level of understanding that way though. i want to study the classics to have a meaningful and fullfilling life, and to understand myself and the world around me. when i know what i want to do for a career i'll get a masters in that specific field.

lol go for it dude.
In class with
>18 year old pussy.
Their
>pussy lips
peeking outside their panties as they wear those
>short shorts
and you will be the automatic Chad of the class since you are older.
Frat parties.
>raping passed out girls
fun times man.

Shut up.
OP, it is never late. Some people had financial problems and they couldn't afford to go to college and some people had another kind of problems andt they just didn't do it.
It's aright, thought. Because you can discover yourself sooner or later. Some great authors attended to college at 26 to study philosophy or literature and they were really good at it and had influenced in a lot of people. It's a meaning you can do it too. So just go. Stop putting yourself down and drained by thinking you can't do it. The best of luck for you, user.

Don't wait for a reason to write, just do it. Read often. Add to the lecture conversations. Understand that even bad writers can give good advice. Don't be precious

>i'll be going in with a bunch of 18 year olds
No shame in that, m8. Going to college is highly respectable regardless of your age, no matter what it is, and you're just 22. Go for it.

I don't know what the fuck this guy is talking about. Sure spending your mid twenties in college may not be what tou envisioned and maybe even a little irritating and slightly demeaning (that is if you have an engorged ego). On the bright side your responsibility will be significantly lower than the people your age, you should be the hardest worker in class if youve learned anything from working the past few years, (college is only putting in the hours, in terms of gpa at least) and therefore respected by your classmates who matter, and then to top it off youll be the well respected smart hard working intellectual in a place swarming with young pussy looking for excuses to give it away (go to the gym if youre less than savory). Its really up to you to play this hand, you can be the creepy old guy if you make it so, but you can be the sagacious and suave older man as well.

You*

And youre not even old anyway, but to eighteen year olds you will be. There was like a thirty year old guy in my history class and he didnt give a shit, he fucking owned that shit.

>I'm fine.

You're very obviously not, but whatever.

>pussy lips
>peeking out of short shorts

user....user.....I don't even know what to say about this. Are you attending a school for the severely physically deformed?

So how are those long lasting friends and memories working out for you?

Dude, you're 22. People begin college way later than that all the time. Don't worry about the ages of your classmates. None of them are going to care (most probably won't even notice), and you shouldn't either. Don't let your petty concerns prevent you from doing what you really want.

B-but what if OP is a woman? Or better yet, a repressed transsexual MtF?!

I'm 21 and I'm in a similar boat as you, op. Definitely considering going to community college this fall, or something along those lines.
maybe one day I'll be a librarian ;-;

Assuming you're male, just take estrogens and antiandrogens to feminize yourself and marry a rich man who's into trans women. No need to subject yourself into such a boring job.

>>>/personalblog/

Explain to me why you have to attend college to enjoy classic literature. Because that sounds like the stupidest fucking thing for someone to complain about.

>you'll be entering the proessional workforce at 27.
Dude most humanities majors never enter the "professional" workforce.

I went to school for philosophy and dropped the fuck out after 3 years because i finally realized that what i was studying was useless and would never get me a job. Now I'm 26 and considerinf going back to school for computer science, although i might not because i know quite a few developers who are self taught and got jobs without a degree.

Philosophy majors often go on to law school, and it's not uncommon for them to go to med school. I'd call lawyers and doctors professionals.

Poor guy, but hes right, if youre smart you should be able to read anything you want and make your own interpretations or just read criticisms to learn what books are about,, you dont need some commie professor pampering your ego and telling you what to think, just to laugh when they take 4 years worth of your potential income that will take 4 more years to pay off while you have the exact same job you did before..

I think you need to check the definition of often.

All the ones i know are baristas or getting PhDs, and i know i can't suck enough SJW cock to ever get tenure.

most law students still don't have jobs and most doctors never make it thru, not even talking about medical doctors either

bump

>Dude most humanities majors never enter the "professional" workforce.

You're really going to suggest most people who get a BA -- that is the majority of people -- never go on to have real professions?

I'm guessing critical thinking wasn't on your course.The reality is that to get on a good philosophy course you have to be pretty smart and doing one certainly doesn't close doors for you. Philosophy is no more or less useful than many other degrees; even some that seem outwardly more practical.

It's all about wanting a career and going for it. Your undergraduate degree isn't that important.

Personally I've found my philosophy degree to be both directly and indirectly useful in getting jobs. As soon as I graduated I was headhunted for a job as an analyst because of my philosophy degree (note: I went to a good school and got good grades). When I quit that because it wasn't for me I started doing freelance writing jobs. My first big job came when someone was specifically looking for someone with experience in philosophy.

Since then it's come in handy several times. Getting ahead in a lot of fields is about looking at things differently. If you have strong reasoning and analysis skills then standing out in your chosen field and convincing other people to hire you is a lot easier.

>not going to frat parties at colleges catered to the physically formed to specifically abnormally large pussy lip girls and not pulling out of them so they will probably raise your offspring and have their lives ruin and search for some beta orbiter to help raise your kid while you're out of the picture moving up on the ranks in fucking slightly physically deformed babes and passing on your genes like a true man.
>there's literally people in this thread who don't do this.

where did you go user? what are you doing now?

Fucking kill yourself you dumb piece of drunk shit.

>ywn be a cute girl

I did exactly what you are considering doing - I went at 22 or 23.

Right off the bat, stop feeling weird. Seriously. First of all, effectively nobody will notice the age difference. Second of all, the few times it does get noticed, it will be to your benefit (more on this below). Third, when you're a 57 year old literature professor, you will not look back and go "FUCK, I'M 2.9% BEHIND THE OTHER LITERATURE PROFESSORS BECAUSE I STARTED 3 YEARS LATER!" Do you know how many people in university, whether undergrad or PhD, take many years more than they need? Take a year or two off to "find themselves?" Do a pointless MA? Or two? Come back after five years? Languish in postdoc for twice as long as most people? Even if that weren't the case, the difference between you and them will be negligible. 18-22 seems like a lot.. at 22.

I say all this as if I knew it, but I spent the last 5 years self-loathing and panicking that I was an old pathetic fuck for coming in late. Every accomplishment had a footnote attached to it like "wow, good job, you really beat the hell out of those 14 year olds you're taking the class with!!! faggot." Don't do that shit.

On the subject of your age benefiting you, it will firstly benefit you because you'll be much more serious. 22 is still young, but you are old enough to know what you want, and to know how to approach it seriously. I did my BA in two years, treating it like a job, and it blew my mind that other people were doing theirs in 5 or even 6. It blew my mind that people said they'll take a year or two off before doing their MA/PhD. Like, why? You aren't getting any younger.

Also, everyone else is confused as fuck. They went into this shit at 17 years old and they're only JUST realising, too late and while 21 and still a moron, that they have no fucking idea what they want to do with their lives. Most of them will not have maximised the benefits of their education as a result. The same thing that happened to you between 18 and 22 is happening to them, because that's what happens between 18-22, except for them it's squandering an opportunity to learn the shit that will define their life.

On the subject of how your age might make you look better, I got a lot of comments and notice for being a guy who came BACK to university to study a specific field. Like I said, all the younger people are constantly dithering, and professors recognize it. A lot of the time a promising student will drop out, or stop caring about his studies, etc. If you're in it for the long haul, they'll recognize that.

Finally, one piece of advice: Don't approach university the way younger kids do. It's not an experience and it's not an amusement park ride that takes you past a set list of sights to a set destination. Don't take some "Great Books" BA just because then you'll be Lord Commander of the Great Books, ipso facto. In particular if you have any plans of doing postgrad and academia, look at everything you do as active.

This is a correct post. 19 year old freshman faggot here, everything you say is correct.

You're only 22, you're still young. Just go for it, dude.

>2.9%
>mfw 3 is 5.3% of 57
>mfw 3 is 10% of his 30 year career
>mfw you didn't learn this at your great books school
>mfw I remember this is elementary school math

Good post, especially the part where you point out that a lot of 18-22-year-olds are confused and are merely going adrift with their academic/career decisions. Just imagine how many professions/fields are there in the industry/academia there and to think that your the first and only decision, as a kid still in highschool, to study X is going to be the right decision (in the sense that you enjoy it and can see yourself doing it for a living for the coming years) is arguably improbable. I mean, I know a lot of people that quit their BAs or are merely ploughing through their BA degrees just because the state is paying for them--other than that they don't care for that specific BA they're studying for. It's the "a BA diploma in something you don't care about/don't see yourself working in is better than nothing" mentality.

t. soon-to-be a 25 y/o thinking about going for a BSc in compsci. Assuming I do indeed pursue compsci in the coming months, I'll be about 28-28 when I finish. Might as well kill myself now.

thanks for all the advice everyone. any suggestions on where i should go?

25 and being going to uni since 18.

what's the trouble. if you want, and are serious, do it. just do it.

everyones telling you what you want to hear. im gonna tell you what you need to hear. youre old as fuck. youre old enough to father most of the children on this board. youre gonna stand out like a sore thumb in your college classes and its gonna be embarassing as hell. girls are gonna spread rumors about you and probably think youre a rapist.

>I started doing freelance writing jobs.
So you're living with mommy?

Sorry m8, but I want to be rich enough to impregnate a sexy girl. Philosophy is for pseuds who are insecure about their intelligence, and desperately need ways to prove their intellect to their peers.

Oh please, 22 is the age men should be starting college, there is no way that a man should be going to college out of HS without external social pressure. I'm 22 snd still have two more years on my Bachelors, if I had not devoted so much time after high school to working, reading, and reflecting, not to mention so much time spent alone, I would not in anyway be emotionally mature enough to appropriately approach anything like school. Don't even worry about it OP, except if you are used to studying only things you are personally interested, remember that in school you will be forced to learn and study things you don't care about just for a grade.

>wants sex and monies
>sweeping statements
>no life experience
>projecting this hard
im not the guy you're responding to and i'm not even kidding, you're really young aren't you? either that or some philosophy majors did something that seriously pissed you off.

>caring this much about the opinions of other people

you're partially right. you don't learn to socialize from "working reading and reflecting" nearly as much as from practice. you learn to socialize from being social, having friends and conversations with new people, and there's nowhere more social than school with peers.

I found it heavily beneficial for myself, I was really insecure, confused and in strange situations in High School, if I had gone straight into a heavily social environment from there I would have continued that same behavior. Now, I know what is important for myself, what my goals are, and to appreciate and understand peoples' differences and feelings.

good idea on the working out of high school part, but i'd advise you not to go to school to study the classics/philosophy as you'll likely be encountering femi-shit, queer theory, and "how marx would explain raskalnikof's actions" kind of shit. It'd be a frustrating waste of money, I can nearly guarantee it.

You have the internet, you don't need to go to school for a classical education. You do need discipline and commitment, however.

whatever you do, for god's sake don't get memed into that stupid university where the entire curriculum is a list of "canonical" texts. go to a good school i.e. good professors / good program, try to avoid public schools with heavy greek life or you will probably be annoyed with all the bros. and read that canonical stuff on your own time.

whoops, meant to reply to

OP said he's 22, not 52.

wut

>st. johns
>stupid

ur just mad cause mommy and daddy couldn't affiord it

philosophicalgourmet.com

just find one you like m8

M8, I've known 30 - 50 year olds, ex-army guys going at 35, no one gives a shit and the ones that do? Aren't worth your whole. Honestly.

apaonline.org/?page=data

note:

online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Degrees_that_Pay_you_Back-sort.html
apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/Images/phil-test-scores-salaries.png
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/Data_on_Profession/Philosophy_performance_on_LS.pdf

also these
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/data_on_profession/1994philosophyamerica-summar.pdf
c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.apaonline.org/resource/resmgr/data_on_profession/degree_completion_in_philoso.pdf

I have a B.A. in classical studies and have a job. What's the deal? All the people I knew back in college also work, except a few ones who tried the academia but couldn't manage it.

what do you do?

Iam just like you OP, but
Iam still lost between Philosophy and English Lit major. Since they say that all humanities are useless, would it make any deffierence if I majored in Philosophy instead? like it more than English lit honestly But if the later will get me jobs then it can't be helped, sadly I can't do double major at my college. Help please.

i suck dicks for money and read literature in my free time

Listen to me OP. My best friend was around 24 and was going no where in his life and I convinced him to go through with college like I had.

Yesterday he finished his last final for undergrad. At Berkeley. He will be graduating with honors in philosophy and has a solid chance at a school like Harvard.

He just turned 26 and you know who cares about that?

Fucking no one.

Okay... but what if I'm 24?

2 late pal. just give up

You're the one who should kill himself. Either do that or seek professional help

so what. we live until we are at least 75-80 years old now. you have your whole life ahead of you

First time on Veeky Forums. This is a kind place. That is all, carry on.

Because he's totally going to enter any professional workforce at 27 as a philosophy major

Just go OP. Who gives a fuck if you're with 18 year olds, you're there to learn.

What makes you think you're being honest? You seem unhealthy.

OP, do a year or two of County college, get a 3.8-4.0 (stupidly easy at any CC), do things on and outside of campus. Then once your two year prison sentence is up, apply to the Columbia School of Professional Studies. You get to live in an apartment rather than a dorm, get a top notch education with all the same UG's, and graduate with a competitive degree. Literally had a friend who just got accepted into the program, so I would at least consider it.

>hurr hurr simple math

"Figurative language" is elementary school material, too, but you don't seem to have grasped that concept

Exact same situation for me, except I'm in northern europe, and starting at 22 isn't that uncommon.

I don't stress about it. I'm a little annoyed that I didn't start a year ago, but then I realize I've been spending the time reading the western canon, which has been profoundly amazing.

And seriously, 22 isn't old by a long-shot.