People EAT that?

What dish is illegal or taboo in your country that you want to try?

I think the Japanese can make any damn thing look appetizing. Even this marinated, raw horse meat.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2009/07/01/dining/01seal.html?_r=0
theplanetd.com/eating-whale-in-greenland/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

12 year olds

Pretty sure horse isn't illegal anywhere. Tastes good too, so there's no real reason not to eat it.

In the US, it varies by state law. Most states ban it commercially, but in California, not only is it illegal to buy and sell, horse meat is a FELONY just to possess! Regardless of the law, there's no arguing it's taboo, probably ranking somewhere between cats and dolphins.

Is it not stringy like I've heard?

Most horse meat comes from old animals.

Korean dog stew.

I want to enjoy this dish before Western PETAism infects every country on Earth with their stupid shit culture.

I'd also like to try seal. This here is seal sausage from Quebec. While most people get all bottom befuddled about Canucks slaughtering cute wittle seals, ecologically speaking, they're the roaches of the sea up there.

arse.

underrated post.

we can't eat medium rare burgers here in canada, I'd have to buy my own meat and get it ground. shit's fucking crazy expensive though.

Authentic haggis is banned by the USDA here in the states.

I am Québécois and never tried it.

I have a new quest. I shall never rest nor enjoy life until I eat that sweet seal flesh.

Bugs. Not illegal, but very taboo.

unpasteurized cheese for poutine. But I don't want to swim through a lake to get there

>unpasteurized cheese for poutine. But I don't want to swim through a lake to get there

suddenly that Simpsons gag finally made sence, thanks

nytimes.com/2009/07/01/dining/01seal.html?_r=0

Note the restaurants named here. It's a rather old article, so I'd call first to see if they still have it.

Isn't it just haggis with lungs in it?

gotta love washington state for being uncucked about cheese desu. So many awesome varieties of raw cheese and theyre all so delicious. Can buy raw milk here too. Breddy cool

Le cinquième pêché is closed ;_;

The poissonerie Fou des îles in Montréal seems to have some in stock, I will try to go there.

>Authentic haggis is banned by the USDA here in the states.
Lungs are sponges and can't be cleaned properly. They're full of slaughter juices and a lifetime of particulate matter both. You don't want to eat them. There's zero reason why you need "authentic" imported haggis and couldn't make it yourself. If you like mutton, and you like oatmeal in your sausage, by all means... But, other puddings are more tastily done and more livery when you do them yourself.

At this point, you should fear CJD and be avoiding offal kind of meats that aren't whole and served to you without a speck of brains, connective spinal tissue and other crap. So, any purchased haggis would stay on the ban list for that concern (by me).

This thread is going to be full of Americans saying food other than tendies and pre-packaged yellow rubber is disgusting.

Oh, no no! I wouldn't want haggis shipped here for me to try. I'd much prefer to go there and have some. Importing offal? Perish the thought!

According to the Koreans on /int/ dog tastes pretty bad, stale, gamey and greasy.

I can't even see what's the problem with that food

it's typical burger too have problems with type of food

>The birds must be taken alive; once captured they are either blinded or kept in a lightless box for a month to gorge on millet, grapes, and figs, a technique apparently taken from the decadent cooks of Imperial Rome who called the birds beccafico, or "fig-pecker". When they've reached four times their normal size, they're drowned in a snifter of Armagnac.

>Cooking l'ortolan is simplicity itself. Simply pop them in a high oven for six to eight minutes and serve. The secret is entirely in the eating. First you cover your head with a traditional embroidered cloth. Then place the entire four-ounce bird into your mouth. Only its head should dangle out from between your lips. Bite off the head and discard. L'ortolan should be served immediately; it is meant to be so hot that you must rest it on your tongue while inhaling rapidly through your mouth. This cools the bird, but its real purpose is to force you to allow its ambrosial fat to cascade freely down your throat.

>When cool, begin to chew. It should take about 15 minutes to work your way through the breast and wings, the delicately crackling bones, and on to the inner organs. Devotees claim they can taste the bird's entire life as they chew in the darkness: the wheat of Morocco, the salt air of the Mediterranean, the lavender of Provence. The pea-sized lungs and heart, saturated with Armagnac from its drowning, are said to burst in a liqueur-scented flower on the diner's tongue.

As a burger, it was funny seeing it go the other way. I was working at Carls Jr. when we put Biscuits and Gravy on the menu. A middle aged Salvadoran woman needed gravy explained to her. In my half-assed spanglish, I told her "sausage y flour con grasa[fat]."
>"Ah, mantequilla[butter]?"
>"No, es manteca[lard]."
She thought it was the most disgusting thing she'd ever heard of.

You forgot to mention the purpose of the cloth; it's the best part of the story.

Fuck off the queen let me eat swan burgers.

Would love to try some real sassafras tea.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's just illegal to sell (without altering), not grow. Maybe I should plant a few seeds next year.

It doesn't bother me that this is a meal more so that this was a meal made by trial and error.

If this is the proper way to eat the little fuckers then I'm worried what the process was like before it was finished.

very funny but i can only agree that manteca isn't as good as mantequilla or margarina

What one?

>a technique apparently taken from the decadent cooks of Imperial Rome

from there you can imagine what you want

>implying biscuts and """gravy""" isnt a disgusting abomination that only you burgers love
I'm not surprised she was shocked, user. I'm surprised you don't understand why. And why the flaming fuck do you culinary analphabets call sausage-stuffing-in-bechamel gravy? Gravy is something else. Something very else.

I think the same about double fermented foods like soy sauce. Like, they goofed up the first time by letting their soy beans go bad

Let's think logically. The most obvious starting point is that they were simply roasted. Europeans, throughout there history, have roasted and eaten every bird they can get their hands on, no matter how small. Pic related. Roasted sparrow.

From there, someone trapping and roasting the things probably devised a way to get a little more meat out of them. As the post mentions, the ancient Romans blinded the poor little bastards which drives them to eat and eat without ceasing. Now you've got a fatty little morsel that probably tastes alright roasted without any other accoutrements.

Of course, from here, people probably tried all manner of sauces and marinades and rubs, some better than others. Marinading ones meat in liquor certainly isn't too unorthodox, at for whatever reason, Armagnac became the common favorite.

Now here's the real leap. Someone, at some point, must've thought it just wasn't Armagnac-y enough, and wondered how better to infuse the bird with liquor. But of course! Drown the little shit! His respiratory system will be soaked through with the wonderful stuff.

As to the common method of eating it whole, how else are you going to eat a little bird like that? Certainly you wouldn't want to bother with picking out all of the itty bitty bones. The cloth covering one's head, it is often explained, traps the wonderful aroma of this peculiar dish allowing you to savor it. Though some believe that a meal so decadent to eat and so cruel to make, it's necessary to hide one's face from god.

stuff like that happen to tarte tatin it was just a tarte au pomme but with a mistake they cooked it upside down

Please, tell us how it goes! :)

>The cloth covering one's head, it is often explained, traps the wonderful aroma of this peculiar dish allowing you to savor it. Though some believe that a meal so decadent to eat and so cruel to make, it's necessary to hide one's face from god.
You forgot the other theory that it's just there to hide the spitting of the bones.

After finishing a three-week road trip in Namibia we returned to the capital of Windhoek. After weeks of eating wild game meat like springbok, oryx and kudu we were in the mood for some good old-fashioned beef. We headed to Katutura, a former apartheid-era village, known for the Soweto market. There open-air barbecues, or braiis, serve grilled meat in a unique manner. Diners tell the grill master how much they want to spend and he takes his large knife to shove that amount of sizzling meat to one side of the grill. Then they pick the meat up with their hands and dip it in a box filled with salt, pepper and spices. Everyone uses the same box for this. The smell of the cooking meat was driving us wild so we quickly dove into the communal feast. We assumed the meat was beef but it looked and tasted different. Someone pointed us in the direction of the butcher’s booths. There we saw slabs of meat with a gray, furry skin; donkey meat they said. We had just eaten the traditional Namibian barbecue called kapana, which may or may not have been donkey. It’s probably better than we didn’t know that ahead of time but damn, it tasted good.

I thought there was a more colorful story involving prostitutes with that one.

How the fuck do you accidentally put a pie in upside down?! I'm going with the prostitute story when I find it.

if you've ever worked in a dairy or creamery, you'd know that raw milk is disgusting. I'll only drink pasteurized after what I've seen.

I heard of the mistake story.
I don't see how that's possible. Unless you have heavy hangover or something and place the apples in the pan before realising you didn't put the dough. Then decide to try just putting it on top and hope for the best.

I'm curious about the prostitute story. It's not pasta alla putanesca.

curious to read it

Mett

Raw pork dish from Germany.

Extremely taboo in the US.

Really raw or smoked?

Truly raw.

why is it taboo ?

I can never get my head around the fact that murricans can't eat Mettbrötchen.

How to avoid trichinosis?

There is a prevailing belief raw pork contains deadly bacteria and/or worms.

Because it's illegal to serve raw meat in the US due to what says.

ok is steak tartare taboo too ? i think horse tartare is but beef one ?

Gives me the trots

theplanetd.com/eating-whale-in-greenland/

You can eat my ass anytime, faggot.

It's not only Americans, but America is the most developed world where it isn't eaten. It is a holdover from a time when meat was of lower quality and you could not risk eating it raw or even rare. I would still not try it with American pork.

Generally, the poorer countries will cook their meat well done or burned.

How to avoid being killed by a drunk driver?

>ok is steak tartare taboo too ?

Yes, but it is eaten by a few. No one eats raw pork. Not even German American families.

Eating horse is taboo across the board, cooked or uncooked.

Whale is high on my lists of meats to try if I ever get the chance. I've wanted some ever since I read the chapter about it in Moby Dick.

Not reallly.

Eating raw taboo
Chicken>pork>beef>fish.

A lot of Americans find even eating raw fish weird.

In my experience it's like really stale old mutton with a hefty dose of day old fish.

>
>How to avoid trichinosis?
You can freeze meat at -20 F for 35 hours and it is considered trichinae free.

You worked at a garbage creamery. Proper raw milk is delicious.

Shit tier pork does contain those.

And why reindeer isn't mentioned yet? Love the red nose.

Does any culture in the world have a raw chicken dish? I could never do it. I've seen how those fuckers live.

A lot of americans have no problem with raw oysters though when oysters have a slightly bit more risk than fish since oysters are natural filters after all.

Because deer, even of the rein variety, is pretty widely accepted.

Japs do sashimi of.. everything.

Like most meats intended to be served raw they are from select breeds, hand raised, butchered under very stringent conditions.

Yes, chicken sashimi is quite common in Japan. I didn't try it when I was there though.

Personally i find the idea of buffet shellfish scary as fuck.

I'd eat raw anything before "dollar value" shrimp or oyster.

japs can eat anything as long it's raw or rotten

there once was a small gag about smuggeling cheese from the us into canada. i don't know wich episode.

I thought Americans and Brits freaked out when presented with reindeer.
Might be a stereotype.

Funny story about that. I married a black woman. They tend to fry the shit out of their food, and the thought of anything even approaching raw turns them off. Eating with my wife and her family at a crab shack, my teenage sister-in-law decided to be a little daring and split an order of oysters on the half shell with me. These were big ones as far as oysters go. She picked one up, looking very unsure. She looked over at me, slurping down oysters with relish. She put a little hot sauce on it (the black solution to eating anything suspect), and after another minute of psyching herself up, knocked it back. Her face was one of surprise and disgust. She gave this exasperated cry, much to the amusement of her family, and shouted out loud "I NEED BLACK PEOPLE FOOD!" She snatched a piece of fried catfish off her sister's plate and began nibbling it, tears welling up in the corners of her eyes.

God fucking damn! As I said in the original post, the Japs can make anything look good!... still wouldn't though.

Yeah, I can see that. What with the beloved holiday children's movie and everything.

You've no worry there, South Korea has a 15 year old or so television program revolving around animal stories that touches upon animal cruelty quite often.
Three years or so ago they covered a story about what was literally a mobile dog concentration camp that someone had illegally parked under an overpass for a few days.
A pickup truck with cargo area modified with large caged segments, part of it was puppy mill, part of it was for cramming dozens of dogs into, and part of it was for dead dogs that the live dogs would nibble at. Don't know how long it was parked there before the nearby residence took notice, took issue, and began notifying, but what the show's camera crew covered was about a day of people just squirt bottling water into dog maws hoping it'll help, a day of some police snooping around, and finally the owner of nonchalantly coming to retrieve the truck. End result, cops gave him a small fine, and one resident trying to save one of the cannibal dogs by angry cramming a few bills into the owner's face, after which guy and his dog concentration camp drove off into the sunset to presumably illegally park somewhere else.
15 years of stories, ranging from wholly improper zoos to "Who the fuck keeps a rooster in a city", from look at da cute puppy to negligent/abusive owners, from why does this dog look happy but sound angry to there's a goddamn deer in the sewer. 15 years and there hasn't been much in the way of animal rights improvement.

Also, Koreans evidently can't wrangle an animal for shit. Though maybe that's just the industry standard for people trying to capture an animal without randomly dosing it with drugs or injuring it.

horses are administered drugs that should best not be consumed by humans

did she like it though?

I'll eat all the ketamine I want, thank you.

Americans eat deer (venison) all the time. Squirrels are pretty common too.

what a shitty meme. when i go to my butcher in germany i know where the pigs are coming from and that he has to persist ongoing quality tests.

The squirrel was brined, then rubbed w/SPOG and Plowboy's Yardbird. Smoked for 45 minutes on Stubbs and pecan chunks in the UDS.

Mostly because factory farming practices are so bad that we can't insure safety. I mean, back in the 90's Taco Bell stopped using green onions after the runoff from a factory style pig farm caused a salmonella outbreak in green onions. We at some point got so focused on cranking out massive amounts of cheap food, that we lost all sense of quality and safe practices.

It"s a working method for when you don't trust your local source and can't be arsed to take the plane to Berlin to try this shit out.

A country where you can fuck a horse but not eat it

and here in the US, very few people go to an actual butcher. We buy meat out of cases in a grocery store. Even if we do go to a butcher, the meat is still factory raised and shipped in frozen. then thawed and butchered. In fact, butchers in the US are not allowed to slaughter an animal at all.

The only way around this is to find a small farm and buy and butcher the meat yourself. I have a buddy that raises American Guinea hogs that are kept in a free range area with fig trees. Best meat you'll ever have. But yeah. it's a pain in the ass to have to go and help with the slaughter/butchering.

Beastiality is still illegal in most states. But much like you Europoors, we can fuck someone wearing a horse costume as often as we want.

Maybe it varies per region but I believe in the US you can't sell meat commercially if you "DIY slaughter", it has to go to an approved facility

That's true. Thankfully the farm to plate movement has been revising many of those laws. The trick my guy uses to get around it, is that I actually buy the pig and am paying hi, to raise it til slaughter. The reason I have to be on-site for the slaughter is also to get around those laws. I am essentially an ultra small scale farmer processing my own animal.

Unless that person is 17 years and 364 days old

>But of course! Drown the little shit! His respiratory system will be soaked through with the wonderful stuff.
my fucking sides

Varies by state. Most have an age of consent of 16.

there are various explanations for its use, but I assume you mean to hide from god, which is pretty funny

>People get bottom befuddles about Canucks sluaghtering cute wittle seals

I thought people had problems with the clubbing not the act of killing in itself

>illegal
>food
>food is criminal
why is the government like this

panda, without question. probably grilled and served with pineapple

I'd give anything to try whale. come to think of it I'd love to visit Greenland or Iceland just to try seal, horse, puffin and a shit ton of other things